onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Good news thread

robf

1 hour ago, PVFC764 said:

We found out at the till in Tesco, Boston, Lincs limits you to 2 items of a similar product.  We had 2 loafs of bread for us and two packets of cereal for us.  As we have different things - nothing wrong with that.  Our daughter has a lot of food intolerance's and we have spent many a hour over the years looking at ingredients to finally have to put it back as it contains ingredients she cant have.  Nightmare it is.  So we have a good idea what she can have.  So we had a genius loaf for her and two packets of cereal she can actually eat from the free from isle.  All labeled up "Free From" etc.  Anything else gives her an upset stomach and that is not what you want - as loo roll is like rocking horse <ovf censored> around here.  Think people must have bought all the stocks up to eat 🤪 

Any way - the tesco lady at the till went sorry you cant have the 2 packets of cereal as you already had 2.  My good lady explained the conditions and asked if we could have the cereal due to her medical conditions and she went no - choose what you want in that smarmy voice you normally get at the doctors surgery - I got some power now.  I said put mine back so our daughter can have a packet and we will have to ration it out to next week and I will go without.

This is the good news part - The bloke being served next to us, said in a loud voice  to our till lady - "Are you being serious - why can't the lady have the cereal - its for her daughter and there are special needs for her to have it.  Give me both packets as I have no cereal and I will buy it".  The till lady went you can't do that, so he grabbed the packets and told his till lady - can you please put this through my food order" which she did.  Then came the bread and again she said this can't go through.  I said put my loaf back I will go without again.  Again the bloke had finished and about to go when he heard her.  "Said again - give me that loaf, went behind my wife and put it through".  We asked to pay him for the three items and he said no - it is my way of helping you after the gate guardian wont let you have the items, even after you have explained.  You said you would go without, so no I don't want anything.  

So there are some good people out there and it made me and the wife emotional that someone would still do that. 

I can understand having rules and limits at this time due to the stupidity of the hoarders, but there must be some common sense used when items are of the similar nature but you can see that are being bought for a person who has special needs to the rest of the family.  The free from food is not always that nice to eat as well. 

Sorry for the ramble - but just wanted to say in this time of negative press - don't give up as there are some really nice people out there and today we found one of them.  Just hope I can do something like that for someone else in need.  We are buying food for our neighbour who has to self isolate due to her medical conditions, but not like this bloke, who did not know us at all.

Lovely to read that, mate.  Next time you go in with your missus, take a trolley each and pay separately for your daughter's stuff if the Gestapo are still on the tills.

Advert

Me and the lad are going head to head at chess. Damn it, he's better than I thought, very aggressive player. If I can weather the storm I'm looking good. But my position looks bleak at the moment.

Not trying trivialize anything. But you have to find  a way to keep on carrying on. No?

1 hour ago, toyahw said:

Me and the lad are going head to head at chess. Damn it, he's better than I thought, very aggressive player. If I can weather the storm I'm looking good. But my position looks bleak at the moment.

Not trying trivialize anything. But you have to find  a way to keep on carrying on. No?

Change your strategy..... go into speed chess mode for a couple of games.

I usually find the distraction technique works best when playing my brother. Start talking about the Vale.....always works for me.

I found that to beat a regular difficult opponent you have to make them change the way they play or think, the best way to do that is to get them to make themselves change the way they think about the way you are playing.

You play the opponent not the board.

Okay, 1-1. Pulled it back in the first leg. second I was creamed. Need to be on my A game to give the lad a game. That is hard work.

The lad is a very aggressive player, think I will be adopting two banks of four from now on.

30 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Okay, 1-1. Pulled it back in the first leg. second I was creamed. Need to be on my A game to give the lad a game. That is hard work.

The lad is a very aggressive player, think I will be adopting two banks of four from now on.

Surely we need a dedicated OVF Match Thread on this game? We can have key incidents, fan reaction and MOM vote... 😉

5 hours ago, geosname said:

I found that to beat a regular difficult opponent you have to make them change the way they play or think, the best way to do that is to get them to make themselves change the way they think about the way you are playing.

You play the opponent not the board.

Always play the the opponent Geo, at the end of the day it depends how good they are but there are a few universal do's and don'ts., eg usually no more than three pawn moves in the first ten etc.

Had some great times playing chess both competitively and socially, the more beer you drink the more abandon you play with!!  Was once beaten by a blind person in a league game, he check-mated me and I honestly didn't see it coming, humbling yet inspiring experience.

Archived