onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

IMPORTANT OVF UPDATE: Adverts change

robf

Hi all,

I didn't want to write this but sadly circumstances dictate...

My dayjob is managing some websites for an entertainment firm. This industry has been hit hard by the Coronavirus outbreak. As a result my daily hours have now been cut by more than 50%.

I have previously only run adverts on OVF as a means of matching my outgoings. I now need to seriously look at drawing a second income from the site.

This will mean the adverts will need to bring in revenue and so there may be new types of adverts - bigger, animated, video etc. It may not mean more adverts but they may need to go in prominent places as more prominent adverts means more revenue.

As a result, very soon you may notice the adverts more and they may even irritate you a little but it is a necessary means to me meeting mortgage payments etc.

I would urge you all to support the advertisers showing on the site (please do NOT use ad blockers) and I would stress this additional advertising will only occur as long as my reduced hours in my daytime job continue.

I am sure I am not the only one affected by the Coronavirus pandemic and I hope you are all coping both financially and of course in terms of your health.

Thanks and stay safe,

Rob

p.s. If anyone has any questions please private message me - @robf

Advert

You may also see a number of features on non Port Vale subjects on the homepage. These are paid for sponsored posts and again generate revenue. 

Some of them will be about online gambling. I do not want to encourage problem gambling so please seek help from this page if gambling is an issue

I apologise if these "clog up" the Port Vale related features but like the adverts these will now be a vital source of income.

Another point from me. I know for some of you the larger adverts drive you crazy. I will be investigating a paid for "advert free" forum. This may take a bit of time to develop but (un)luckily for me I have some spare time to look into it. Until this is developed (presuming it can be) I hope you bear with me...

I'm sure we are all crossing our fingers for you, Rob, and for everyone else whose economic situation is adversely affected by the current climate. It's awful for everyone.

A few extra adverts here and there will be the least of our worries.

Good luck.

10 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I'm sure we are all crossing our fingers for you, Rob, and for everyone else whose economic situation is adversely affected by the current climate. It's awful for everyone.

A few extra adverts here and there will be the least of our worries.

Good luck.

What he said.  Thanks for your efforts, Rob.

Thank you folks, right now those sentiments are really appreciated.

Right now my balance sheet looks like it was drawn up by a previous Vale owner!

One thing is sure - there may be more adverts in the way but that won't block me reading from some lovely people whose comments and thoughts entertain me and many more people besides. 

Stay safe everyone... 

Look on the bright side mate..... if adding a few adverts is the only thing you have to do it's not that bad..... let's hope it stays like that.

It could be worse..... you could be running a stoke site and have to rely on pie adverts in picture format 😊

7 hours ago, geosname said:

It could be worse..... you could be running a stoke site and have to rely on pie adverts in picture format 😊

I believe all the Stoke sites are alright - they have lucrative exclusive deals with Greggs.

Rob, 

You do a sterling job for all Valiants and this site keeps a lot of us in touch with each other. A few pesky adverts on the site makes no difference to me and I'm sure many others. If it aids you having the income to continue the fabulous OVF then mate carry on.

In these uncertain times we all must pull together and the Vale family can remain intact.

To you and all Vale fans the world over look after yourselves please and it will be soon that we can reconvene at Vale Park to continue our lives of support for the Club we love.

I too have now had to close down my self employed sole trader business I've held for the past 24 years as the Holiday Travel industry is in a hell of a mess but I'm fortunate enough to be able to financially exist due to prudence over the years with our money. However I realise that there are millions of people, including fellow Valiants that will be in very awkward positions, even after all this virus has blown away. to them I send my heartfelt wishes,  keep talking to each other and we are here to help if we can in any little ways.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I've mentioned it before but would it be worth having a click through Amazon affiliates link?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried affiliates and it doesn't really work on here. However, any and all suggestions are welcome.

In terms of revenue, as a site with a lot of page views,  the simplest and most obvious is the advert changes I have brought in (i,e. more of them). There are also some sponsored posts on the blog which bring in money (I think it's fairly obvious which posts are mine and which are sponsored and like the adverts I hope they don't put too many of you off).

Just as an update, I am still furloughed at the moment but my day job is managing all the group websites for a firm which works in the entertainment sector (i.e. concerts, film, TV and live events). As this sector is still affected and not recovering yet, there is a worry over the long-term future of the company. So as a "back-up" I am continuing with the adverts on OVF in case it does become my sole income for a while should I lose my job when furlough ends.

I hope the adverts are not too intrusive. I have tried not to go for any which obscure the text/buttons. 

If anyone wants to add constructive feedback/suggestions it is very welcome.

Archived