onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Micky Morris.

blackdog

Advert

Despite the sadness of losing Micky Morris this is a heartwarming thread and a lovely reminder of my early teenage years standing on the Bycars.
Ball, Boulton, Wilson, King, Sproson, Green, McLaren, Gough, Wookey, James, Morris. That was the XI for the most part. I can recite that team off by heart. We did add Buxton and I think Tony Lacey from Stoke.
The game at the Racecourse has become legendary. Wasn't there about 19,000 people there that day? Always a red blooded game with the Welsh boys, like Griffith, Kinsey, Smith and Moir.
I always liked that all white stripe we wore. Simple but effective.
And wasn't it one of Roy Sproson's last seasons with us? I guess we've all seen that iconic photograph of him scoring a soaring header against Newport County, in front of the Bycars, from a right wing corner.
We also averaged about 7K gates that year didn't we?
I seem to remember the crowd as 19,006, and was behind the goal when Tommy Mac hooked the ball in for the Vale goal.

The abiding memory of the day, though, was standing on the platform at Wrexham Station and being stoned by Wrexham fans on the bridge above us!

On 16/03/2020 at 14:03, TheSage said:

Despite the sadness of losing Micky Morris this is a heartwarming thread and a lovely reminder of my early teenage years standing on the Bycars.

Ball, Boulton, Wilson, King, Sproson, Green, McLaren, Gough, Wookey, James, Morris. That was the XI for the most part. I can recite that team off by heart. We did add Buxton and I think Tony Lacey from Stoke.

The game at the Racecourse has become legendary. Wasn't there about 19,000 people there that day? Always a red blooded game with the Welsh boys, like Griffith, Kinsey, Smith and Moir.

I remember going to the Wrexham game on the train, think it was a special, we drew 1-1 if my memory serves me right.

Always remember after the game we walked back to the railway station and there was a bridge over the tracks (The train was in the station) on which Wrexham fans were stood throwing bricks/stones at vale fans walking/running from the railway  station buildings to the train. You took your life in your hands running to the train as stones ricocheted around, most scared I've ever been at a football match.

I think that makes 3 of us! I too recall the nightmare of catching the train back but from memory the whole of Wrexham that day had a really nasty undercurrent about it that was quite scary. But I was only about 13 at the time!

I think I caught the special from Longport but it's such a long time ago...

I used to view the Wrexham game almost like a derby. The games with them were full of venom.

13 hours ago, TheSage said:

I think that makes 3 of us! I too recall the nightmare of catching the train back but from memory the whole of Wrexham that day had a really nasty undercurrent about it that was quite scary. But I was only about 13 at the time!

I think I caught the special from Longport but it's such a long time ago...

I used to view the Wrexham game almost like a derby. The games with them were full of venom.

Big Eddy May and Arfon Griffiths were my "hate figures"......who was it who fanged hold of Griffiths in the tunnel and it all kicked off one year?

Wasn’t that the same season and player’s then got suspended by number of days not matches? I recall it well as a 10 year old. Didn’t we win 1-0 at home with a Jameo penalty and Dave Gaskell in their goal gave us the V’s in the Bycars.?

2 hours ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Big Eddy May and Arfon Griffiths were my "hate figures"......who was it who fanged hold of Griffiths in the tunnel and it all kicked off one year?

Pretty sure that was Tommy Mac, but once the first punch was thrown everyone waded in !  

Hard to believe nowadays that games v Wrexham were such feisty affairs in the 60/70’s. 

I too was at the Racecourse in that 19,000 crowd and also in the 12,000 at Vale for the 1-0 win in the reverse fixture. 

Wasn’t it that promotion season when Vale were due to be on Star Soccer on the Sunday afternoon only for Saturday’s game at Vale to be postponed ? Versus Colchester seems to spring to mind ? I sulked for days after that ! 

6 hours ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Tommy Mac was discussing the outcome of the game with Arfon Griffiths (Yeah right ) words were exchanged punches thrown and Brian Horton went berserk, a full out and out fist fight broke out that carried on all the way up the tunnel and half way down towards the away dressing room.

Lol Hamlett just raised his eyebrows and carried on ......

I have often wondered what the sanctions would be if that kind of violence happened today, because it was serious disorder, Nobby wanted to finish it off on the car park with Eddie May, I wonder what started this animosity with Wrexham, was it Gordon Lees approach to the game because I know it wasn't popular ...........except with us Vale fans !

Archived