onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Micky Morris.

blackdog

It's being reported that Micky Morris has sadly passed away.

A solid hard working winger, Gordon Lee described him as having a good engine,this was proved well after his retirement from football when he competed in the Potteries Marathon and Michelin 10's a lovely bloke who before his illness I had the pleasure of chatting to in the Seabridge Pub reminiscing about that period in the early 70's when we were promoted and the Bycars was noisey 

One more time..Weve got Micky Micky Morris on the wing on the wing.............................

Advert

Oh dear, that's bad news.

I too remember him with fondness. A hard-working "winger" who would run through a brick wall for the Vale, like his compatriot Tommy McLaren. And as you say, part of the first promotion team that I saw in 69-70. If I close my eyes I can see him now, in that pure white Vale strip, and the Bycars singing his song..... Wonderful memories.

Think I'm right but didn't we beat Sjoke at the old Victoria Ground in a game to celebrate that promotion team....think we won 2-3 and Mickey Morris scored. (Also have this vague memories of us wearing blue shirts and white shorts???) i was in the Stoke End and in fear for my life as we had won and the Boothen End were streaming out before the end to "greet "us.......or is my memory playing tricks?

No, you are right. I was there but I can't remember the scorers or any of the goals. I think I also saw Morris playing for Stafford Rangers v Peterboro at the Victoria Ground in 75 towards the end of his career.

The only goal I vaguely remember from him (he didn't score many. It was his running and team work that made him a valuable player for us) was against a team towards the end of the 69-70 season that I think clinched promotion for us. In front of the Bycars, I'm sure.

Like many, I have very fond memories of that 69-70 team. I'd never seen the Vale promoted before and many of those players are etched into my memory bank to this day. Your user name, who was a great attacking full back but sold to Torquay (wasn't it?), Sproson's majesty at the back, ball playing Johnny Green, Jessie up front, Bobby Gough ..... and on and on and on. I stood on the Bycars then, got my refreshments from the old tea bar at the back and walked across the Bycars fields to Tunstall afterwards, where I lived. I was always grateful they kept the floodlights on after night games so that I could see to get home!

Micky was never one who would have stolen the headlines but, as has been said above, would always make a positive contribution to every match.

One who rarely missed games, he was one who you could guarantee a 7/10 performance every match.

I too was at that match at the Victoria Ground in ‘70. Wasn’t it played on a Friday night ? 

Anyway, thanks for the memories Micky. The Seabridge will seem a strange place without your presence ! 

1 hour ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Micky was never one who would have stolen the headlines but, as has been said above, would always make a positive contribution to every match.

One who rarely missed games, he was one who you could guarantee a 7/10 performance every match.

I too was at that match at the Victoria Ground in ‘70. Wasn’t it played on a Friday night ? 

Anyway, thanks for the memories Micky. The Seabridge will seem a strange place without your presence ! 

Yeah it was on a Friday night......good player, steady Eddie, Mickey was.

7 hours ago, TheSage said:

Like many, I have very fond memories of that 69-70 team. I'd never seen the Vale promoted before and many of those players are etched into my memory bank to this day. Your user name, who was a great attacking full back but sold to Torquay (wasn't it?), Sproson's majesty at the back, ball playing Johnny Green, Jessie up front, Bobby Gough ..... and on and on and on. I stood on the Bycars then, got my refreshments from the old tea bar at the back and walked across the Bycars fields to Tunstall afterwards, where I lived. I was always grateful they kept the floodlights on after night games so that I could see to get home!

That was a great team - I think it was the first promotion we got while I'd been supporting them? Johnny Green was a very good player - as was Micky Morris. Condolences to his family - sad to see heroes from our past passing away! RIP UTV

Just throwing a few names in off memory from that promotion season,Keith Ball in goal,Ron Wilson full back Clinton Boulton John (Jessie) James, Roy Sproson and Johnny King who went on to become a legend at Tranmere as a manager Micky Morris the unforgettable Tommy Mac,Bobby Gough forward, didn't we sign Ian Buxton at Easter and also Ken Wookey to get us over the line, Buxton if my memory serves me right also played cricket for Derbyshire  and missed the last couple of games that season.

Ive missed some, any idea's ? Did the sublime Johnny Green play in that team,I remember Gordon Lee telling me in an unguarded moment he though Green was too fancy for his style of play !!

Micky Morris didn't get on with Lee, he reckoned he was too defensive.

We didn't use many players that season, we didn't play much football either !! plenty of blood and snot as they say, but as young lad I loved every minute of that season,the game at Wrexham still lives on in my befuddled memory,Tommy Mac introducing himself to the full back....wallop, Jessie going over to help the Wrexham lad get up and the Ref sending Jessie off approx 10k Vale fans going mental.....Happy days, everything seemed less complicated then lol.

Despite the sadness of losing Micky Morris this is a heartwarming thread and a lovely reminder of my early teenage years standing on the Bycars.

Ball, Boulton, Wilson, King, Sproson, Green, McLaren, Gough, Wookey, James, Morris. That was the XI for the most part. I can recite that team off by heart. We did add Buxton and I think Tony Lacey from Stoke.

The game at the Racecourse has become legendary. Wasn't there about 19,000 people there that day? Always a red blooded game with the Welsh boys, like Griffith, Kinsey, Smith and Moir.

I always liked that all white stripe we wore. Simple but effective.

And wasn't it one of Roy Sproson's last seasons with us? I guess we've all seen that iconic photograph of him scoring a soaring header against Newport County, in front of the Bycars, from a right wing corner.

We also averaged about 7K gates that year didn't we?

25 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Despite the sadness of losing Micky Morris this is a heartwarming thread and a lovely reminder of my early teenage years standing on the Bycars.

Ball, Boulton, Wilson, King, Sproson, Green, McLaren, Gough, Wookey, James, Morris. That was the XI for the most part. I can recite that team off by heart. We did add Buxton and I think Tony Lacey from Stoke.

The game at the Racecourse has become legendary. Wasn't there about 19,000 people there that day? Always a red blooded game with the Welsh boys, like Griffith, Kinsey, Smith and Moir.

I always liked that all white stripe we wore. Simple but effective.

And wasn't it one of Roy Sproson's last seasons with us? I guess we've all seen that iconic photograph of him scoring a soaring header against Newport County, in front of the Bycars, from a right wing corner.

We also averaged about 7K gates that year didn't we?

You forgot Eddie May, the dozy scotsman,football he could not play and when he scored................ lol

Younger posters must wonder what the hell I'm on about.

I can recite that team off like you and yet struggle with more recent teams,i guess thats old age and senility !

Archived