soothsayer

Assisting Club Cash Flow

1 hour ago, ginginator said:

Problem is re the concert, we may still be playing football on the pitch

we could send out wozza to dribble around the crowd! (then have a bucket collection)!!😄😄

My expectation is the season is unlikely to be able to restart before July and maybe August. The question is whether this season is wholly voided or played out in full leading to an adjustment to the start of next season. If voided that is the worst hit of all to EFL clubs and I think the restart option will be taken making adjustments needed to next season. That is probably the safe way of avoiding ongoing legal challenges which would disrupt football next season and may cause a rectification decision to put back as was and play out anyway. A legal challenge from West Ham is inevitable if they are relegated by stopping the season now, for example, so the only tenable route to avoid widespread legal challenges is postpone and play out the current season. So the financial consequence is likely to be delayed cash flow with some reduction in revenue because games will be played in the summer and switched to mid week. Most owners / clubs will have to respond by reducing the budget for 2020/21 or postponing other projects or finding some way to generate new and increased income. I would be prepared to make a voluntary payment on top of my season ticket purchase for next season for example. I might be prepared to pointlessly continue to maintain a second season ticket for my son who has to move to London in the summer and, working in the NHS as a trauma doctor, has no chance of attending games from that distance away. 

Edited by Warren
spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ginginator said:

Problem is re the concert, we may still be playing football on the pitch

The way this thing is spiraling disastrously out of control world wide, I can't see football or RW concert taking place in June.  Talk now of over 70's being forced to self isolate for FOUR months even if not even ill. May be a rumour but it is Peston talking about it.  We are in this for the long haul, unless the worst happens obviously.

7 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

What are you saying then? The topic is “Assisting Club Cash Flow”, the operative word being club.  Why have you asked if anyone would “chip in with helping the cash flow of there employers” if you’re not making a comparison?  Care to expand?

As I said, genuinely wondering.

You seem to be a bit thingy.

16 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Would anybody chip in with helping the cash flow of there employers?  Just wondering?

Possibly not but people may chip in to help their family. 

9 hours ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

The way this thing is spiraling disastrously out of control world wide, I can't see football or RW concert taking place in June.  Talk now of over 70's being forced to self isolate for FOUR months even if not even ill. May be a rumour but it is Peston talking about it.  We are in this for the long haul, unless the worst happens obviously.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-14/elderly-to-be-quarantined-for-four-months-in-wartime-style-mobilisation-to-combat-coronavirus/

14 hours ago, Warren said:

My expectation is the season is unlikely to be able to restart before July and maybe August. The question is whether this season is wholly voided or played out in full leading to an adjustment to the start of next season. If voided that is the worst hit of all to EFL clubs and I think the restart option will be taken making adjustments needed to next season. That is probably the safe way of avoiding ongoing legal challenges which would disrupt football next season and may cause a rectification decision to put back as was and play out anyway. A legal challenge from West Ham is inevitable if they are relegated by stopping the season now, for example, so the only tenable route to avoid widespread legal challenges is postpone and play out the current season. So the financial consequence is likely to be delayed cash flow with some reduction in revenue because games will be played in the summer and switched to mid week. Most owners / clubs will have to respond by reducing the budget for 2020/21 or postponing other projects or finding some way to generate new and increased income. I would be prepared to make a voluntary payment on top of my season ticket purchase for next season for example. I might be prepared to pointlessly continue to maintain a second season ticket for my son who has to move to London in the summer and, working in the NHS as a trauma doctor, has no chance of attending games from that distance away. 

IMHO starting a season before finishing the last would be like starting the second book or episode in a series without finishing the first. What’s the point? 

Football will return at some point and when it does they need to find away of finishing the 19/20 season before starting another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Saw something interesting where if this season is untenable then scrap it but carry the points, GF, GA figures into next season so no-one is disadvantaged or given an unfair reprieve....

8 minutes ago, Doha said:

Saw something interesting where if this season is untenable then scrap it but carry the points, GF, GA figures into next season so no-one is disadvantaged or given an unfair reprieve....

I would prefer to play out the season, but if this is not possible then that idea seems the fairest.

Next season could be caught up if these season overruns by not entering the tinpot cup and freeing up a few Tuesday nights.

League One and Two league clubs are expected to lose between £300,000 and £400,000 in lost income if the current season is cancelled.The main issue for these clubs being cash flow.

14 hours ago, Doha said:

At first I missed the part where you said the points would be carried on. I thought Liverpool won't have much consolidation losing the title but gaining a good goal advantage next season!

That would be an interesting solution but I can't see it happening myself.

9 hours ago, Warren said:

Next season could be caught up if these season overruns by not entering the tinpot cup and freeing up a few Tuesday nights.

Good point. And the EFL/Premier League could scrap the EFL Cup and save dates that way.

As this outbreak is not even expected to peak until June/July time, it is difficult to see football restarting until the autumn at the very, very earliest.

Perhaps on resumption this season could be fully completed and then have a curtailed 20-21 season consisting of only 23 league games with possibly no cup competitions at all ?

Drastic and not ideal, but without abandoning either this season or the next, what else is viable or workable ?

This way, at least the games already played in 19/20 will have meant something and the new 20/21 season will have all teams in leagues they deserve to be in and out then all will start on a level playing field.

Loss of revenue is the obvious problem (plus player contracts)  with this idea, but it seems impossible to finish this season and have a complete playing calendar in the next.

Something clearly has to give.

Edited by RailwayRowdy

On 14/03/2020 at 20:11, Warren said:

Why would West Ham be relegated if the season stopped now?

One option is changing the season start and end dates so that the 2022 World Cup ends up being played during a close season.

i would suggest that this season is completed as and when it is possible, and that it is next season where the number of games is reduced.  I'm sure we can forget this summer's Euros, as cancellation/postponement is inevitable.

The likely outcome of this is that the gap between rich club and poor clubs will increase, as the latter rely more match revenue than the big boys.