onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Assisting Club Cash Flow

soothsayer

14 hours ago, Doha said:

Saw something interesting where if this season is untenable then scrap it but carry the points, GF, GA figures into next season so no-one is disadvantaged or given an unfair reprieve....

At first I missed the part where you said the points would be carried on. I thought Liverpool won't have much consolidation losing the title but gaining a good goal advantage next season!

That would be an interesting solution but I can't see it happening myself.

Advert

9 hours ago, Warren said:

Next season could be caught up if these season overruns by not entering the tinpot cup and freeing up a few Tuesday nights.

Good point. And the EFL/Premier League could scrap the EFL Cup and save dates that way.

As this outbreak is not even expected to peak until June/July time, it is difficult to see football restarting until the autumn at the very, very earliest.

Perhaps on resumption this season could be fully completed and then have a curtailed 20-21 season consisting of only 23 league games with possibly no cup competitions at all ?

Drastic and not ideal, but without abandoning either this season or the next, what else is viable or workable ?

This way, at least the games already played in 19/20 will have meant something and the new 20/21 season will have all teams in leagues they deserve to be in and out then all will start on a level playing field.

Loss of revenue is the obvious problem (plus player contracts)  with this idea, but it seems impossible to finish this season and have a complete playing calendar in the next.

Something clearly has to give.

On 14/03/2020 at 20:11, Warren said:

My expectation is the season is unlikely to be able to restart before July and maybe August. The question is whether this season is wholly voided or played out in full leading to an adjustment to the start of next season. If voided that is the worst hit of all to EFL clubs and I think the restart option will be taken making adjustments needed to next season. That is probably the safe way of avoiding ongoing legal challenges which would disrupt football next season and may cause a rectification decision to put back as was and play out anyway. A legal challenge from West Ham is inevitable if they are relegated by stopping the season now, for example, so the only tenable route to avoid widespread legal challenges is postpone and play out the current season. So the financial consequence is likely to be delayed cash flow with some reduction in revenue because games will be played in the summer and switched to mid week. Most owners / clubs will have to respond by reducing the budget for 2020/21 or postponing other projects or finding some way to generate new and increased income. I would be prepared to make a voluntary payment on top of my season ticket purchase for next season for example. I might be prepared to pointlessly continue to maintain a second season ticket for my son who has to move to London in the summer and, working in the NHS as a trauma doctor, has no chance of attending games from that distance away. 

Why would West Ham be relegated if the season stopped now?

If you have a season pass for I-follow then you have access to a full re-run of all league games so far. Plus the EFL Trophy games. But (legally) these are only available to non-UK residents.

Seeing as no way could this affect attendance anymore, might it be an idea to sell passes for these re-runs in the UK? Raise a bit of cash for the club and give fans who couldn't get to the game chance to watch it. Plus start a thread "vs xxxxxx revisited", and relieve some boredom  to boot.

I killed Saturday afternoon by re-watching game 1, Colchester away.

29 minutes ago, toyahw said:

If you have a season pass for I-follow then you have access to a full re-run of all league games so far. Plus the EFL Trophy games. But (legally) these are only available to non-UK residents.

Seeing as no way could this affect attendance anymore, might it be an idea to sell passes for these re-runs in the UK? Raise a bit of cash for the club and give fans who couldn't get to the game chance to watch it. Plus start a thread "vs xxxxxx revisited", and relieve some boredom  to boot.

Think the clubs are too paranoid about technology to take advantage of it. Just like when televised sport first arrived on the scene the top clubs banned television cameras from the grounds in the fear they'd reduce income though gate receipts. How times change, and let's hope they quickly change back btw.

Actually the Leyton Orient chairman was on a podcast and said that his club made a tonne of money from the ifollow app due to the club's efforts to market it abroad.

2 hours ago, toyahw said:

One possibility to continue the season and generate income could have been to play the games without spectators in the ground but let fans buy access to iFollow but it's a non-starter because of the risk of infection to players etc never mind the logistics of doing it for all the EFL clubs' fans  and season ticket holders who've already paid their money.

One option is changing the season start and end dates so that the 2022 World Cup ends up being played during a close season.

Interesting one this. So maybe finishing this season in the Autumn which is maybe more realistic and having the 2020/21 season running Feb-October or something and the one after the same with the World Cup in November-December and the one after the same before reverting back in 2023 to its usual slot?

Would mean changing the current Euro 2020 plan discussed today and playing it in the winter close season but would solve the issue of the World Cup essentially having three seasons of mainly summer football.

Allows this season to complete before the end of the year at least and keep the seasons 46 game going forward whilst the balance is redressed.

Archived