robf

[Updated] Football suspended until 30th April

I think we are looking at next season being reduced or drastically changed, even without having to finish the current season.

On 19/03/2020 at 17:54, ramsgate valiant said:

Just cancelled the guest house in Plymouth for what was going  to be our last game . Was hoping to have something to celebrate there. 

I have just moved my Travelodge booking to 25th May because I can modify the booking but not cancel it for a refund. I plan to keep moving it until I can actually go even if the match isn't on.

The season should be finished whatever. It depends when the season can restart. If for say we can start playing again in October we should finish the season then, not allowing any transfers beforehand, then start next season in December without any domestic cups.

• Like 1

Don't know if this has been mentioned but its seems impossible to cancel sky sports and bt sport if your a virgin media customer.

They aren't answering the phone...i get that

The shops aren't open i get that

And the website bit where you can alter your package is down...i get that...its because they are sneaky bastards and are going to charge me full whack when there isn't even any live sport on.

Where's that Martin Lewis bloke when you want him? 

I am not convinced the season will finish on the field, seen a few pundits this week mention , maybe the League tables will be decided by the points per game each club has achieved till now !  

I too think we should move heaven and earth to finish this season. It's got to be the right thing to do - and the fairest.

I can't see us starting next season in August so we're already way behind the clock.

If next season gets curtailed and teams only play 36 games instead of 46, then so be it. The fixture computer can work out the games and we'll have to get on with it. But I'd rather not leave this year hanging in the air, 3/4 done.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52052351

They've declared all leagues below the National League (North/South) to be null and void. It makes sense on one level as at that semi-pro / amateur level leagues clubs can survive without playing football for longer, needing only Premier League pocket change to keep running and it solves the headache there of promotions and relegations.

But in some regards it's a complete <ovf censored> disgrace. Some clubs have actually achieved promotions mathematically and have been told they're staying put for next season. It does seem as though the FA couldn't give less of a toss about amateur football so just went for the easiest option. I don't think we should read much into this in regards to the EFL and Premier League.

Talk is today that a few Prem clubs want it cancelled now... the theory is if unlikely to happen anytime realistically soon then by just cancelling it only really Liverpool and maybe a smaller degree Leicester would be upset but the majority happy enough. Sticking point is the huge financial penalties with then Tv contracts up there.

Almost a best finish it now and let the players fully isolate and hopefully see you in late June for pre season.

If that did happen with National League clubs seeming to want it cancelled then you assume the EFL will fall in line.

In reality I think it’s what will happen now anyway as the situation has deteriorated and the realistic prospect of football in 5 weeks (plus the time before for getting players training and fit again with lockdown at a very minimum another 2 and a half weeks to run)

Some EFL clubs notably Mansfield and FGR have already Furloughed their players and staff I see today.

I dunno. I think I'd probably lose all interest in the Premier League if that happened. We were outside the play-offs so I can accept it in League Two, where it's a pretty tight division and Artell was top anyway.

I would see many losing interest in the top-flight though where even Brighton v Bournemouth is hyped up as a HUGE game. How can they claim that next season when this season's two Manchester derbies officially were meaningless and counted for sod all? What about the EFL Cup? Do Manchester City have to give that up? How can you win a cup competition in a season that "never happened"? How can you get around getting hyped for game week 4 when last season was cancelled at game week 30? Especially knowing the virus could come back. What's the point?