onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52052351

They've declared all leagues below the National League (North/South) to be null and void. It makes sense on one level as at that semi-pro / amateur level leagues clubs can survive without playing football for longer, needing only Premier League pocket change to keep running and it solves the headache there of promotions and relegations.

But in some regards it's a complete <ovf censored> disgrace. Some clubs have actually achieved promotions mathematically and have been told they're staying put for next season. It does seem as though the FA couldn't give less of a toss about amateur football so just went for the easiest option. I don't think we should read much into this in regards to the EFL and Premier League.

Advert

Talk is today that a few Prem clubs want it cancelled now... the theory is if unlikely to happen anytime realistically soon then by just cancelling it only really Liverpool and maybe a smaller degree Leicester would be upset but the majority happy enough. Sticking point is the huge financial penalties with then Tv contracts up there.

Almost a best finish it now and let the players fully isolate and hopefully see you in late June for pre season.

If that did happen with National League clubs seeming to want it cancelled then you assume the EFL will fall in line.

In reality I think it’s what will happen now anyway as the situation has deteriorated and the realistic prospect of football in 5 weeks (plus the time before for getting players training and fit again with lockdown at a very minimum another 2 and a half weeks to run)

Some EFL clubs notably Mansfield and FGR have already Furloughed their players and staff I see today.

I dunno. I think I'd probably lose all interest in the Premier League if that happened. We were outside the play-offs so I can accept it in League Two, where it's a pretty tight division and Artell was top anyway.

I would see many losing interest in the top-flight though where even Brighton v Bournemouth is hyped up as a HUGE game. How can they claim that next season when this season's two Manchester derbies officially were meaningless and counted for sod all? What about the EFL Cup? Do Manchester City have to give that up? How can you win a cup competition in a season that "never happened"? How can you get around getting hyped for game week 4 when last season was cancelled at game week 30? Especially knowing the virus could come back. What's the point?

With Wimbledon cancelled and the British Grand Prix about to go as well, we are getting clearer indicators that we are likely to be into Autumn and possibly 2021 before football can return. Maybe it can return before then behind closed doors, but at our level that simply loses even more money. My daughter is booked to get married on 26th September so I have a particularly keen focus on the exact timescales playing out here, because that is certainly marginal now. Suit measuring the end of June? Looking unlikely I am very much afraid.

2 hours ago, MelbourneValiant said:

Why behind closed doors? It should return when it is safe for everybody. Didums that Wembley may be unavailable for the play-offs, here's an idea, why not play the final at the grounds of those taking part like it used to be when football was football and not a sell out money making excercise.

If you have to play the play-off final at the club's grounds then you have to make it two legged and that's another match you have to squeeze in. If this all goes ahead then they'd just play it at a neutral ground somewhere. I fail to see how it's "selling out" to make use of an £800 million national stadium for more than just an FA Cup final and handful of England matches a year anyway.

14 hours ago, darren1810 said:

EFL chairman Rick Parry has e-mailed all clubs.

Interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52230105

I imagine they'll be going all out for the Premier League to be completed so they can make sure of the huge broadcast payments.

EFL clubs can make a bit of money from having fans watch games on the ifollow app, but unlike the Premier League most clubs will be getting the bulk of their revenue from fans coming in to watch games. So unless they believe the ifollow revenue would be significant then would it be worth going to the effort and risk involved to finish the season for the EFL?

I'd be tempted to say just end it as it is, maybe use point average to balance out games played, and clubs in the automatic promotion places go up and those in relegation places go down. Just cancel the playoffs and say tough luck, clubs only have a 25% chance of promotion if they qualify for the playoffs anyway. Then a reprieve for the highest place relegated club in the division above.

Leeds and West Brom go up, they're well clear in the Championship. No relegation from League Two as Bury have already been kicked out, and Barrow go up as National League champions (they're currently four points clear).

Luton and Barnsley are 6 and 7 points short of safety in the Championship. Southend and Bolton and 16 and 22 points short of safety in League One (Bury are already kicked out). Do any of them have any huge cause for complaint? The likes of Fulham, Oxford and Exeter would moan that they had a shot of promotion but so what? If you're six points deep in relegation mire with nine games to go or hoping for promotion but stuck in third or fourth with ten games to go then how big of an injustice is it really? Surely that's infinitely more fair than deny teams at the top their deserved promotion and infinitely more practical than extending the season indefinitely to finish off the remaining games?

Who knows the answer Wrex, incredibly momentous decisions are going to be made.

The problem with saying the likes of Barrow are 4 points clear is that they still had Harrogate away who are their nearest rivals. Also Yeovil away.

Until anything is mathematically impossible then it is extremely difficult to satisfy or appease anyone. 

I recall the mighty Man Utd being 8 points clear with 4 to play ( think was the Aguerooooooooo season ), they lost to Wigan and City , had that famous 4-4 with Everton and basically blew it.

There is a case to be made for numerous scenarios and a lot of folk will be upset by it. Personally speaking if a halt was called now and the likes of that horrible club Stevenage were given a reprieve i would be most disappointed.

No two seasons are the same, look at Notts County or indeed ourselves for proof of that. This could be Barrow or Harrogate one and only shot at it , likewise Stevenage could do better next time around ( can't do any worse 😉 ) .

The thing is nobody can wave a magic wand and suddenly in June stadiums can be full again or gigs and cinemas packed to the rafters, that isn't going to happen. Football is nothing without the fans and atmosphere can have an impact on a game, i'm just glad it isn't me making the final decision. 

The games are intended to go ahead but behind closed doors so if they do get played as planned then it would provides a unique situation. All the clubs form guide goes out of the window due to the break, players could be back from injuries that would have previously kept them out, some players may not even feature again if the contract situation becomes a big problem, there’s no massive advantage to being at home (providing they are played on clubs grounds and not a complex like St. George’s Park). There’s no 12th man, there’s no extra Adrenalin rush that a crowd could give you, which maybe helps some players to up their game too. I hope they do get played and I hope the seasons finished, but these last few games are going to be a totally different animal to what’s gone before this season and we can’t use those as a guide to how the last lot of games will go. 

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

On the other hand, players out of contract will be trying hard to impress and everyone will be so relieved to be playing football again. 

Some clubs may not even be able to afford to extend every out of contract player for the last 2 months of the season. 

Archived