onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

Advert

Change of mind probably due to the financials. Somebody estimated that the continuous testing regime alone would cost each League 1 and 2 club something like £140K. Then you would need effectively be a mini pre-season to get fitness back, which would mean taking players off furlough without any matchday income. As a percentage of turnover the costs involved in restarting the season at this level would be prohibitive. I imagine the clubs had this spelled out to them.

Doing these points per game <ovf censored> has made me think why should I bother going a game ever again if after 30 games it could get null and void or points per game come into it again you shouldn't win promotion based on what might have happened its ridiculous. 

thought Carol spoke very well there and from the heart

we are all hurting. I hope she went down fighting our corner though and didn't just give in. Nobody else is going to fight Vale's corner for us so we do need a voice whether this decision was right or not

10 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

Doing these points per game <ovf censored> has made me think why should I bother going a game ever again if after 30 games it could get null and void or points per game come into it again you shouldn't win promotion based on what might have happened its ridiculous. 

Points per game is just a simple method to account for clubs having played a different amount of games. 16 clubs have played 37 games and 8 clubs have played 36 games. You can look at it as "what might have happened" for four matches really, then the season is ended with all teams on 37 matches.

14 minutes ago, Doha said:

Ive said this before, but there have been time over the years ive been proud to be a vale fan because of the football we played, there have been times i havent been proud of anything, but ive never been prouder than i am right now about the type of club we are becoming. The community work during coronavirus, the charity work they always do, players calling fans, adam yates delivering food to the vulnerable, and now this. im gutted but proud.

41 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

I get you're angry/disappointed, but there's hundreds of people dying every day, and clubs simply couldn't afford to finish the season.

It would cost them 100k before you add in the cost of testing the players AND extending contracts. We would have signed the winding up order of loads of clubs. The likes of Macc, Crawley can't afford it.

PPG is the right solution. A harsh one, but the right one.

34 minutes ago, Doha said:

Proper club, us.

We'll nail League 2 next season, lads. We got lucky that Carol decided to blow her kids inheritance on us. This situation is unlucky, but in my view we're one the luckiest clubs in the country.

43 minutes ago, Santa said:

They've just had a Crewe fan on the radio who is angry because he thinks they should have been given the league title. Baffling.

Weird bunch.

Their squad is getting absolutely ransacked this summer. Best of luck to them.

2 hours ago, robf said:

I agree entirely. Every argument for restarting involves a load of "if"s but even if it were possible to do all these things, who's to say clubs won't then say that, for example, playing in front of closed gates is a disadvantage etc. There's no way everyone is going to be happy for some sort of artificial round of matches to be added to the season.

Surely the number one most important thing is to keep people safe - it is only one season in sport after all - I can't see how cancelling the season now isn't anything other than a sensible and practical way to proceed. After the National League and League 2 have done so, I suspect it could very well be the case in League 1 too before very long.

Genuine question, Rob: if we have another serious outbreak after starting the 20-21 season and have to close that down, how will anyone have any faith again in the integrity of the season?  I agree completely that the number one priority is to keep people safe from this wretched disease so closing the season until we can restart is no problem for me. However, number one priority must be to finish the current season even if we do so starting in the next footballing year and then find ways to reduce the number of games.

And the worst aspect for me is having a PPG remedy that is unweighted to allow, for example, for home and away. So many clubs are going to feel discriminated against by a simple PPG formula I would be surprised if it isn't challenged in the courts. Perhaps not in L2 (though Exeter may be thinking about it) but it would only take some of the bigger and better to join together in a joint legal challenge.

I think today's decision is understandable but will prove to be a serious mistake.

Some stats:

- Tom Pope has tied Wilf Kirkham for most club top-scorer awards with six (Pope - 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2017–18, 2018–19, 2019–20; Kirkham - 1924–25, 1925–26, 1926–27, 1927–28, 1928–29, 1929–30, 1932–33)

- Despite playing 9 fewer league games we've better our win, draws and goal scored tally for each of the previous three seasons.

- Least league defeats since 1969–70 (albeit with 9 fewer games)

- Lowest goals conceded tally since 1992–93 (again with the big caveat of playing 9 fewer games)

- Best League Two finish since the 2012–13 promotion season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Port_Vale_F.C._seasons

Carol just on Radio 5 with Jermaine Jenas.

Vale and Bradford given big praise for voting for the good of the game rather than self interest. 

Carol said she was shaking when she came out and then had to ring JA to tell him but quite rightly stands by her decision. 

Radio 5 were glowing in their praise of our club .

Contrast league one where the meeting was described as a bun fight.

Very disappointed but there's a bigger picture in reality. People are dying out there and it all has to be put in perspective. 

Think the first game back with crowds at Vale park will be a joyous and emotional occasion .

Archived