robf

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

I'm fine with this, it's been a fantastic season compared to recent years. Starting in league 2 again next season is probably what we need to make the roots of the squad grow stronger. Giant steps this season, full credit to JA and DK , we've got foundations in place to have a great season next year. Fair play to Crewe aswell, they've been up there all season and deserve it. I would be gutted if I was an Exeter fan though, they've been proper shafted by this.

• Like 1

Going up this season is a strange one.

Despite promotion, you've got to cut costs, lost players, and have no real celebration. Maybe a brief 'get in' but by tomorrow it'll all seem meaningless again. You're playing catch-up immediately with depleted resources and a very uncertain timeframe as to when football starts again at our level.

Obviously, it would have been nice, but another year of getting things right, improving the squad, and I'll think we'll be ready.

Its a shame we are the unlucky club but it had to be SOMEBODY. We wouldn't moan about it being unfair if we were 7th and Colchester 8th. Just the way it goes.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, Emile said:

There is 0 reasons why the season needs to be ended on the spot. 0.

Why can't they restart end of the year until December? Then follow up with a regional league next season. This would limit travel around the country plus 9 games + 22 (league split in half) is less than the plan for next season. 

Why can't they extend the play offs?

Why is league two cancelled but league ones 'intention is to carry on'

The season is judged by 46 games. If we haven't played everyone twice it should be voided, not ended whenever they feel like it. 

Clubs can't afford to extend contracts with the lack of revenue. You can't then say 'protect the integrity of the league' but also expect clubs to finish the season with vastly depleted squads because they've had to release their best players, along the overspending teams to waltz the last 9.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Going up this season is a strange one.

Despite promotion, you've got to cut costs, lost players, and have no real celebration. Maybe a brief 'get in' but by tomorrow it'll all seem meaningless again. You're playing catch-up immediately with depleted resources and a very uncertain timeframe as to when football starts again at our level.

Obviously, it would have been nice, but another year of getting things right, improving the squad, and I'll think we'll be ready.

Its a shame we are the unlucky club but it had to be SOMEBODY. We wouldn't moan about it being unfair if we were 7th and Colchester 8th. Just the way it goes.

The upgrade of tv money to 600,000 in league one game should  cover the promoted teams costs, its all a good result for the 3 promoted teams

1 minute ago, DistantVale said:

The upgrade of tv money to 600,000 in league one game should  cover the promoted teams costs, its all a good result for the 3 promoted teams

Clubs are going to lose some solidarity payments from the Premier League though, as its calculated as a certain % of the Prem's broadcast revenue, which is about to decrease as Sky are demanding their money back.

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

Clubs can't afford to extend contracts with the lack of revenue. You can't then say 'protect the integrity of the league' but also expect clubs to finish the season with vastly depleted squads because they've had to release their best players, along the overspending teams to waltz the last 9.

I agree entirely. Every argument for restarting involves a load of "if"s but even if it were possible to do all these things, who's to say clubs won't then say that, for example, playing in front of closed gates is a disadvantage etc. There's no way everyone is going to be happy for some sort of artificial round of matches to be added to the season.

Surely the number one most important thing is to keep people safe - it is only one season in sport after all - I can't see how cancelling the season now isn't anything other than a sensible and practical way to proceed. After the National League and League 2 have done so, I suspect it could very well be the case in League 1 too before very long.

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

In Austria the season ends in March after a short restart in Feb following on from the winter break and January transfer window. Top half teams go into a min league table to win the league / europe qualifaction and the bottom half going into a relegation playoff. There is no transfer window between the league finishing and the playoffs, which lasts until May. 

Whats the difference between squads in September being the start of the season or for the last 9 games?

i dont think there is an option that isnt bad in some way. I can imagine tranmere will be upset though if league 1 go the same way. And if they dont then those at the top of the table in league 2 wont be happy. A team losing out on promotion because the season ended can be dealt with as financially they are no different off, but relegation could be terrible for a club. I can imagine there being legal challenges if it happens.

Barely a year into the rebuilding job, getting promoted 'too' early, added to the existing uncertainty of not knowing what we're planning for next season (only at a higher level) , could have been a problem.

As it is, we still don't know when we'll restart again, when we can let the fans in, what sort of revenue can we budget for...

A lot of the existing norms in football will be out of the window.

I think this is the fairest decision that could be made in the end.

I wonder what will happen to 19/20 season tickets - whether a refund is due on unplayed games or not - although I'm in a position where I would not need/want to accept one. Maybe they could offer club shop vouchers first if there is a legal requirement to offer one?

It’s good to hear praise of the club from outside sources. I get the impression that the reputation of Port Vale behind the scenes is rapidly improving thanks to the work and conduct of the Shanahans, a reputation that I can only imagine was pretty poor at best under the previous owner. We are becoming a club that players want to sign for and that can only bode well for the coming years

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Santa said:

It would have made more sense to promote the top three in League Two, then only relegate the bottom two in League One.

Bolton and Southend were dead and buried, but it could have got messy if you had to decide who goes down out of AFC Wimbledon and Tranmere.

League One would be returned to the full compliment of 24 clubs and the only issue for League Two would be to either promote a National League side (say, Barrow) or just have a 23 team league next season.

Yeah that's what I thought. As you say the league tables lined up that two down (plus Bury) and three up would have worked nicely, then no play-offs and a reprive for the 21st spot in League One.

They say no relegation but I guess this just means Barrow replace Bury?

If they don't think its right/safe to finish the league, how are they going to play the playoffs?Cut it off, send the top three up and relegate one less from League One

No promotion or relegation for all the divisions is the only way to go disgraceful to cancel 1 league and play the others not right

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DaneValiant said:

If they don't think its right/safe to finish the league, how are they going to play the playoffs?Cut it off, send the top three up and relegate one less from League One

I can't quite understand that either. It would have made more sense just to have straight promotion and binned the play-offs for this season. 

• Like 1

Maybe they think they can control the variables better if they have 2 or 3 games between 4 teams than 100 odd games between 24 teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1