robf

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

1 hour ago, JRC said:

Rob I take your point about the testing but this is going to be the same for all of us. Companies and the country cannot afford another 12 months of this so we are all going to need to work. The general population aren't going to get tests to start work so nor should footballers. Most work is a team game where people work together. Not allowing crowds into matches is sensible but I don't see a reason for not playing online. We are all going to have to accept a degree of risk for at least the next 12 months in mosts walks of life. Staff at Tesco have to accept this already. I think its important footballers don't face a greater risk than someone in a factory or supermarket or building site. That's not quite the same as there being no risk. There would be postponed matches due to quarantines but the actual cost of postponements would be a lot less than currently as you only need the 4 officials and camera crew in attendance. 

I don't entirely agree. You or me going to work doesn't put a strain on already strained emergency services. But for football to take place even behind closed doors still means an ambulance crew in case of injury and potentially police to keep the public away. None of those things happen at normal workplaces.

If the presence of police and ambulances strains the emergency services and is not essential (i.e. there's no essential product or service produced by football unlike some other jobs) then should it continue or just continue being suspended?

It baffles me that people think we’ll just drop back into the groove and continue our playoff push. In reality the lack of match practice and fitness will mean form goes out the window. The standard of football from all teams is likely to be dull just like preseason and in my opinion just isn’t worth the risk to players, officials, staff and emergency services. Inevitably some fans won’t be able to stay away from venues, creating further problems.

Clubs and leagues should concentrate their efforts on putting necessary procedures in place to ensure next season takes place safely, instead of a rushed car-crash finish to this season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Everyone makes valid points and from the posts made one can see a scenario for re-starting the season in June and an equally valid scenario for forgetting this season and concentrate on the start of next season.

I side on the let's get back to business when it's deemed the time is "right" as the risk from the virus and other stuff will never be zero.

VS's point about the players wouldn't be ready bought back to mind the number of times I've been at Vale Park and thought, "Have this lot seen each other before",. Respect to JA in that I never thought that in the 19/20 season.

Edited by Paul6754

3 hours ago, robf said:

I don't entirely agree. You or me going to work doesn't put a strain on already strained emergency services. But for football to take place even behind closed doors still means an ambulance crew in case of injury and potentially police to keep the public away. None of those things happen at normal workplaces.

If the presence of police and ambulances strains the emergency services and is not essential (i.e. there's no essential product or service produced by football unlike some other jobs) then should it continue or just continue being suspended?

Do we have an NHS ambulance or is it still St Johns? If it is St Johns then I don't feel that is an issue. 

If the policing is significant then no it shouldn't take place. When the cases are low enough I can't see the presure on the police being that significant. They won't be dealing with City Centre nightlife issues and you would hope that there won't be many fans trying to get viewing points around the ground. It's not like fans can still go and sit on walls behind Lorne Street now. 

I don't think there is any chance this season finishes but I'm sure next season would be feasible behind closed doors. I can't imagine the lockdown lifting before the last week in May. 3 weeks minimum to get players up to speed. Just never going to happen.

17 minutes ago, JRC said:

Do we have an NHS ambulance or is it still St Johns? If it is St Johns then I don't feel that is an issue. 

If the policing is significant then no it shouldn't take place. When the cases are low enough I can't see the presure on the police being that significant. They won't be dealing with City Centre nightlife issues and you would hope that there won't be many fans trying to get viewing points around the ground. It's not like fans can still go and sit on walls behind Lorne Street now. 

I don't think there is any chance this season finishes but I'm sure next season would be feasible behind closed doors. I can't imagine the lockdown lifting before the last week in May. 3 weeks minimum to get players up to speed. Just never going to happen.

I do think it will be significant. Perhaps not so much for a club of our size but there's going to be dozens and dozens of fixtures to complete all the games. There's already been worries about Liverpool fans congregating if they are about to win the League. 

If a similar thing happened at games where other clubs are facing promotion/relegation it's going to be multiple uses of a lot of police for events that are really non-essential in the grand scheme of things. 

Not all stadiums are easily shut off from the public. They could potentially involve mass policing to keep fans away and disperse them using social distancing. Not only that but the police involved would be potentially endangering their health.

I just think that in a world where the top priority is to avoid stress on the NHS and to save lives, football is a very, very low priority and if the game's return has any issues at all then it would be far better just to call an end to the season now. 

Just now, robf said:

I do think it will be significant. Perhaps not so much for a club of our size but there's going to be dozens and dozens of fixtures to complete all the games. There's already been worries about Liverpool fans congregating if they are about to win the League. 

If a similar thing happened at games where other clubs are facing promotion/relegation it's going to be multiple uses of a lot of police for an event that is really non-essential in the grand scheme of things. 

Not all stadiums are easily shut off from the public. They could potentially involve mass policing to keep fans away and disperse them using social distancing. Not only that but the police involved would be potentially endangering their heath.

I just think that in a world where the top priority is to avoid stress on the NHS and to save lives, football is a very, very low priority and if the game's return has any issues at all then it would be far better just to call an end to the season now. 

I completely agree about this season. It should be either null and void or based on current league positions. I'm thinking August/ September. 

3 minutes ago, JRC said:

I completely agree about this season. It should be either null and void or based on current league positions. I'm thinking August/ September. 

Fair enough. I think that perhaps by then things may have calmed down enough. I think the main issue will be how clubs survive on no gate money and I think the key is the parachute payments. Split those up equally and all of a sudden clubs may have enough to survive and we have got rid of a terrible idea at the same time. 😃

I think 10 German players have tested positive after returning to training.

Merkel is making a decision tomorrow about the Bundesliga. Watch this space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robf said:

Fair enough. I think that perhaps by then things may have calmed down enough. I think the main issue will be how clubs survive on no gate money and I think the key is the parachute payments. Split those up equally and all of a sudden clubs may have enough to survive and we have got rid of a terrible idea at the same time. 😃

Give me a litre of what you've drunk! Premier League TV rights next season will stay with the Premier League. We will be lucky to get the same TV money. Liverpool won't cut Mane's salary to give Vale a million 😟

5 hours ago, robf said:

Nothing to do with the accuracy of the tests - more the purpose of the tests.

A test doesn't mean you won't get the virus just that you haven't got it at at the time of the test. That's my point - a player could still catch it from friends, family, shopping after the test and then pass it on.

The test only says that at the instance of the test the player is negative. He could still catch it seconds, minutes, days afterwards... if he then gets the symptoms and he's been in team training or a match scenario then everyone who's been in contact could also get it and have to self isolate.

test before each match. It can be done in 3 hours. Your tested, you wait three hours for the results. If your clear you can join up with the team and play. Nobody would be allowed into the stadium without an all clear. Therefore nobody will catch it.

Done before every match to determine your Matchday Squad. It's far from ideal but it's possible.

31 minutes ago, Emile said:

test before each match. It can be done in 3 hours. Your tested, you wait three hours for the results. If your clear you can join up with the team and play. Nobody would be allowed into the stadium without an all clear. Therefore nobody will catch it.

Done before every match to determine your Matchday Squad. It's far from ideal but it's possible.

The test gives a false negative for up to 14 days from infection so that wouldn't necessarily work. If they develop a test which doesn't give false negatives then it would.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Emile said:

If you need to test everyone involved (starting XI, subs, coaches, ref etc) you're looking at something like at the very least 50-odd tests per game or 2,000+ tests before every single round of 40-odd fixtures. And that doesn't include any tests needed outside of matchdays.

If the govt is struggling to provide 100,000 tests a day for key workers then how is the UK general population going to react to a non-essential sport wanting to use 1,000s and 1,000s of tests rather than those test kits going to key workers who are putting themselves at risk. Even if it was possible, it would be a PR disaster.

I think they just need to give up on the season now. If there's no easy way to do something, then that's a very good indication that you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

In Austria they are doing a test which allows you to visit the country. It takes 3 hours and costs 180 Euros. 50 tests per match even at this price (of which there is no doubt profit involved) would still be a hell of a lot cheaper than cancelling the league.

If the tests aren't accurate thats a whole different question. It seems to make a mockery of the thought that these tests are the only way to enter the country here though.

Bundesliga has moved the return date back to 22nd to allow for a 14 day quarantine period of isolation  (training camps). I imagine the PL will do similar but I think the  EFL will get cancelled, due to expense.

Edited by ginginator

Bundesliga has moved the return date back to 22nd to allow for a 14 day quarantine period of isolation  (training camps). I imagine the PL will do similar but I think the  EFL will get cancelled, due to expense.
Its a shame clubs should get some help

I can’t see leagues one and two going ahead as I think clubs will vote to scrap it. Bringing the players back in and taking them off furlough will put a huge financial strain on clubs who will have virtually none of their usual income stream for a matchday, plus there are some clubs who have nothing to play for and it will cost them huge amounts of money to stage the games. 

If it did go ahead then those clubs who have already released players because of the financial burden will probably then be fielding much weakened teams, with youth and fringe players having to come in. It then just completely devalues the games left. 

As much as I want to see this season finished I think the fact that there’s a brick wall of a cut off date to play the games, plus the money aspect, as well as the potential health risk will mean we dont have the time, money or the risk reduction to finish the season. 

15 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I can’t see leagues one and two going ahead as I think clubs will vote to scrap it. Bringing the players back in and taking them off furlough will put a huge financial strain on clubs who will have virtually none of their usual income stream for a matchday, plus there are some clubs who have nothing to play for and it will cost them huge amounts of money to stage the games. 

If it did go ahead then those clubs who have already released players because of the financial burden will probably then be fielding much weakened teams, with youth and fringe players having to come in. It then just completely devalues the games left. 

As much as I want to see this season finished I think the fact that there’s a brick wall of a cut off date to play the games, plus the money aspect, as well as the potential health risk will mean we dont have the time, money or the risk reduction to finish the season. 

There is no option for the season to be scrapped , the vote is on how to invoke promotion and relegation,   

It looks increasingly certain that no more games of the 19/20 season will be played in Leagues 1 and 2.

Clubs being asked to vote on how promotion/relegation will work. Normal Points Per Game and Weighted PPG being talked about.

Weighted PPG takes into account how many home and away games each team has left, as over the last six EFL season the average PPG for all home sides is 1.55, and away sides is 1.19.

It goes without saying that we don't go up with this. To restore the 72 EFL clubs, 3 come down from the Championship, replaced by the top 3 of League 1 under this system (Coventry, Rotherham, Oxford), and then 3 come down from League 1 (Tranmere, Southend, Bolton) and are replaced by the top 4 of League 2, due to Bury needing to be replaced. Those 4 are Swindon, Crewe, Plymouth, and Cheltenham. Stevenage go down.

No plans for playoffs to occur.

Its harsh but I don't see an alternative solution. The season has to finish by July 31st in order to account for all the contract changes. It won't be safe to play the games before then.

You're left with this option; unfair on some but as fair as its going to get, or null and void, which blatantly isn't fair.

In every division of football, teams are going to be shafted; for example, Exeter, who are currently 4th, will drop to 5th and miss out on promotion in weighted PPG.

We just happen to be one of the unlucky ones.

• Like 2

Unfair on some or unfair on all? If games aren't being played the whole season has to be scrapped with no promotion or relegation. 

• Like 1