onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

Scenario.Premier League start the season again.Liverpool have 11 first team players out with the virus after the announcement.City have no players with the virus.What would happen? Scrap the season? Tough luck Liverpool?Play the games and City win every game,Liverpool lose every game? I think they should scrap it now,null and void season.

Advert

33 minutes ago, Beamish said:

Apparently one of the ideas coming out of France is to use the table at the mid-point of the season to decide promotion and relegation.

Wouldn't do us much good, but would see Stoke relegated 🤣

This would be worth us not getting a playoff place in my opinion. Although Crewe would still be third.

10 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Could be a re-start in June,  maybe on neutral grounds,  players go to games and training in kit and back home in kit..  Players  and staff tested prior to games.  Meeting Thursday.

Sounds like lads ‘n dads Fosse.

The longer it goes on and the way in which France and Holland have quickly ended their season I'm becoming more pessimistic about the season getting underway again anytime soon.

It seems a huge risk. I now think it's more like 2/1 that it gets cancelled at our level but I hope not.

How many old 'uns on here (including myself by the way) would want to attend a football match at present - or even in the next month or two? I wouldn't.

47 minutes ago, TheSage said:

The longer it goes on and the way in which France and Holland have quickly ended their season I'm becoming more pessimistic about the season getting underway again anytime soon.

It seems a huge risk. I now think it's more like 2/1 that it gets cancelled at our level but I hope not.

How many old 'uns on here (including myself by the way) would want to attend a football match at present - or even in the next month or two? I wouldn't.

I don`t expect  to  attend a game this year,  I will be chuffed to be allowed out of the house !  But I would prefer the season to finish properly on the pitch.

46 minutes ago, Frank Mustard said:

I’ll be truly amazed if a balls kicked again this year and that includes this behind closed doors and training camp nonsense. Not a cat in hells chance.

It all lies in the hands of the TV companies, particularly Sky. If they say they want their money back either for the games not played, or for the whole season (If it is abandoned and no winner declared/no promotion/relegation) then it will bankrupt football in its current form. I can't see them just abandoning the season and declaring no winner. It opens up the EFL & PL to a world of lawsuits and such like. 

The likelihood is that due to English football's heavy reliance of TV revenue, they'll have to find a compromise with the TV companies. What that is, I have no idea but I believe that we haven't seen the final ball kicked of the 2019/2020 football season, no matter how much some people want it to be done.

It all lies in the hands of scientific experts and the Government. As much clout as we’ve allowed Sky to have on our game in this country they’ll have no say whatsoever on when football can and can’t resume.

As for the current season resuming, it may well do but it won’t be this side of Christmas.

I've been thinking about how tricky it's going to be to get football going again. For example even if they play behind closed doors but just one player ends up dying of Covid-19 I could imagine it would cause uproar and fury to whoever allowed football to restart. Maybe even the courts would be involed and huge multi-million pay outs would have to be made.

People would be saying what were they thinking allowing poxy football to be played in the middle of a worldwide virus pandemic that has no cure or vaccine.

4 hours ago, TheSage said:

I can't drive presently because of a medical condition. And I live on the Wirral. It is unlikely to be able to travel to Vale Park via bus and train until something not too far from normal occurs. At least by then Northern Fail will be closed down, although they aren't needed to get to Longport. 

2 hours ago, Frank Mustard said:

It all lies in the hands of scientific experts and the Government. As much clout as we’ve allowed Sky to have on our game in this country they’ll have no say whatsoever on when football can and can’t resume.

As for the current season resuming, it may well do but it won’t be this side of Christmas.

Exactly. There is money talking in football with many interests. I get that; normal. But this pandemic is what it says on the can and their voices need to be put into the background when it comes to actual decision making. To be fair, so too does the emotional thinking of me and many other fans. This does come down to the science mixed with a whole economy model of returning to normal gradually. 

It is useful for perspective to reflect on the changes likely to occur as a result of the pandemic. 

My organisation has 4300 employees worldwide and now 4200 are working at home and still achieving targets. Replicated everywhere in other businesses. Queue mass office closures. Queue demise of city centres. Queue much smaller car market and less public transport needed.

Masses of aircraft parked up. Even when allowed to fly the business people are working from home and happy with Microsoft Teams / Zoom meetings etc. The holiday makers won't be going abroad anywhere near as much. Queue airlines permanently closed down and so too airports. Queue restructuring of the airline manufacturing industry including Airbus and Rolls Royce. 

And so it goes on. Football hasn't got special needs different from all the above changes / challenges across the economy.

11 hours ago, valiant said:

People would be saying what were they thinking allowing poxy football to be played in the middle of a worldwide virus pandemic that has no cure or vaccine.

You mean like the Liverpool-Madrid game? 

Some thoughtful points, above. We're all rightly focusing on health and social issues at present but we're going to have to live, additionally, with the financial and economic consequences of this for many years to come. Decades in fact. A sobering thought.

My daughter is working from home as opposed to travelling into London by tube each day. Might save her over 2k if she continued to do that. She never gets a seat anyway!

Archived