onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I wonder what is the definition meant by ' top ' league 2 club.

I'd say Plymouth and Bradford by a country mile.

If it is the League table then it suggests Swindon, Crewe or Plymouth could go into administration.

It will never be finished this season IMO.

Firstly 14 clubs in our league realistically have nothing to play for or could go down so they have no appetite to lose money playing behind closed doors and risking players catching the virus potentially.

If even a couple of sides near the top have said they'd lose promotion for it because they couldn't survive if they do play the season and can't mothball the club then it seems pretty inevitable.

For me if it finishes you can't promote or relegate, it wouldn't be right and cause issues with clubs who are negatively affected, PPG doesn't account for the fact some clubs will have an easier run in than others so had a chance of overhauling (for eg Cobblers have a nightmare run in so their PPG is boosted against ours who have played most of the top sides already twice)

Advert

I saw an interview Sky Sports News the other day with one of the directors of Liverpool where he says it probably wouldn't be just the end of the current season that will have to be played behind closed doors but the start of next season. He wouldn't be surprised if fans aren't allowed back in until next year.

I'm still optimistic the season can be completed by middle-end of August behind closed doors with the start of next season starting behind closed doors.

The key is frequent testing for the virus, players tested frequently and maintain social distancing off the pitch, those that test positive don't play or train just as if a player is injured.

Contracts of out of contract and loan players can be negotiated/worked out for eventualities.

At least the season's outcome would be decided by football, 2 games a week for 5 weeks should get it done.

EFL could negotiate with iFollow so fans can watch on line, monies apportioned sensibly with major EFL involvement. Start new season ca two weeks after  2019/20 season finished.

19 hours ago, Wrex said:

No way will we be in a lockdown situation where a few family members are not permitted to gather in living rooms to watch television for the rest of the year.

The concern with sports gatherings are obvious, thousands of people all together. The concern that with crowds banned but with pubs open thousands will gather round boozers and sports bars to watch the big screens and have a pint are also well founded, but pubs are currently closed. And the worry that some idiots will gather outside stadiums or throw street parties for title wins are genuine.

But saying we can't show things on TV that are too entertaining because people might go to each other's house to watch it? Sorry but that's lunacy. We're not living in the 1950s. 99% of people own a TV. If they choose to go to a friend's house to watch a TV then they'll go to a friend's house to share a beer, take drugs or have an orgy. You can't legislate for people like that.

A possible way of flattening the visiting syndrome of people who don't have Sky or don't have BT etc. is to require the games that are played to be put on free to view main channels. There would have to be a financial settlement. But to be honest I am floating something I don't believe in myself. I think behind closed doors is doomed and my perspective is from living in the Merseyside area which is a much more intense arena for football that the Potteries.

The revenue from Pay per view on Ifollow would be more than fans turn up, for instance the away following would tune in like their own home attendance plus the home fans would also tune in in their numbers plus the fans of each club who don't live locally and worldwide

This business of clubs would go out of business would not hold as many would make more money from a worldwide supporter audience through Follow

In Austria they have announced that bars and restaurants will reopen Mid May. Granted we are light years ahead of the UK in terms of control but this theory that they won't open up again in the UK until 2021 is far fetched for me.

I understand that some clubs are saying it would be a waste of their money to continue the season. But what happens next year if we get to March 2021 and this happens all over again? Cancelling the season damages the integrity of the competition in general. Why bother caring about something you might not even see a result in. 

For me, it has to continue again. If thats behind closed doors then so be it. If that means delaying next season and having no cup games fine. If some clubs choose to not play and take a points deduction for every game missed fine too. But to claim 3/4 through a season that its void is too damaging in my opinion

3 hours ago, Carpetman said:

The revenue from Pay per view on Ifollow would be more than fans turn up, for instance the away following would tune in like their own home attendance plus the home fans would also tune in in their numbers plus the fans of each club who don't live locally and worldwide

This business of clubs would go out of business would not hold as many would make more money from a worldwide supporter audience through Follow

I think each iFollow is linked to the club though. So say we are playing Crewe at home. Vale's income would be the Vale fans who sign up via Vale's iFollow while Crewe's would be the away fans who sign up to their iFollow. Vale would make no income from a healthy "virtual" away following.

So, while Vale would get some extra income from Vale fans watching away games which they wouldn't normally get (e.g. if 5,000+ Vale fans watched each away game that would be a nice windfall) I think the club are right that it won't make up the difference  from an actual matchday income.

That's because more than one fan can watch a single screen and they would only need to pay a tenner to see the game on iFollow (which in itself is a significant drop in the normal ticket income) and there's no other income - food, drink, car parking, shop sales etc

So while during the normal season, iFollow gives a handy bit extra in revenue from fans who can't make the game, unless the iFollow prices are bumped right up, I don't think it's going to be close to the usual matchday income.

Unless the Football League brings in some sort of "pay what you can afford" deal for iFollow. I wonder if that's an option?

Watched a German news report on ZDF last night and there's talk of the Bundesliga starting up behind closed doors, with everybody connected to the game getting a COVID-19 test before taking part. They than ran an opinion piece on this and the two main complaints were 1. Why should footballers etc get privilege on testing when many key-workers can't (and that's in Germany where there's more testing than in the UK) 2. The fear that fans will turn up outside stadiums.

5 hours ago, robf said:

I think each iFollow is linked to the club though. So say we are playing Crewe at home. Vale's income would be the Vale fans who sign up via Vale's iFollow while Crewe's would be the away fans who sign up to their iFollow. Vale would make no income from a healthy "virtual" away following.

So, while Vale would get some extra income from Vale fans watching away games which they wouldn't normally get (e.g. if 5,000+ Vale fans watched each away game that would be a nice windfall) I think the club are right that it won't make up the difference  from an actual matchday income.

That's because more than one fan can watch a single screen and they would only need to pay a tenner to see the game on iFollow (which in itself is a significant drop in the normal ticket income) and there's no other income - food, drink, car parking, shop sales etc

So while during the normal season, iFollow gives a handy bit extra in revenue from fans who can't make the game, unless the iFollow prices are bumped right up, I don't think it's going to be close to the usual matchday income.

Unless the Football League brings in some sort of "pay what you can afford" deal for iFollow. I wonder if that's an option?

I like that idea. I have a season subscription but I'd happily donate a match ticket price for each remaining fixture. 

Whether the season gets finished must be very questionable.  There comes a point where they must bite the bullet and move on to next season.

Archived