[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

4 minutes ago, Emile said:

Id rather they cancel next season 

Re-start the current season next march is one way out. A financial disaster maybe, but no different to a lot of businesses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BBC reporting that all elite football is suspended. So Stoke are playing then.

So all football suspended, so for a change I started talking to the wife and found out that she got made redundant from Woolworths.

Going up this season is a strange one. Despite promotion, you've got to cut costs, lost players, and have no real celebration. Maybe a brief 'get in' but by tomorrow it'll all seem meaningless ag

Posted Images

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

If next season does start a bit later I would rather they cancel a cup like the League cup or the Checkatrade, just so that the league games can be squeezed in. 

I'd rather they cancel those cup competitions permanently - both are a waste of time and have been for a number of years!

• Like 3

Noticed we would have been playing Plymouth in our last game of the season today. Would have been an awesome away day in the sun. 

Part of me wants them to carry on the season through the summer, seeing as there is no Euros and I fancy the novelty of some warm weather away days with pints in the sun. 

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Noticed we would have been playing Plymouth in our last game of the season today. Would have been an awesome away day in the sun. 

Part of me wants them to carry on the season through the summer, seeing as there is no Euros and I fancy the novelty of some warm weather away days with pints in the sun. 

A great opportunity to put to bed the once idea of a summer football season in the UK. I love summer football (World Cup/Pubs/atmosphere), but footy is needed in the dark winters in the UK to get you through.

No matter what, I would finish this season first, whenever it resumes, and carry on with the new season whenever possible.  The circumstances are truly bizaare I admit and it isn't as simple as it seems. There will be players out there who should be retiring this week.....what about them?

8 hours ago, DistantVale said:

To be honest, I don't understand from that post what you are actually suggesting should happen,

If the season has to be suspended without further games being played the final positions should be determined on an average points for game basis adjusted for the likelihood that teams will have had harder / easier sets of fixtures to date. So I propose to do that by bringing into consideration as well the remaining games to played and how difficult those remaining fixtures were likely to have been given the league placements currently of the teams. A mathematical value can be calculated for that and then taken into consideration. The question is how that is done.

7 hours ago, PV1973 said:

If next season does start a bit later I would rather they cancel a cup like the League cup or the Checkatrade, just so that the league games can be squeezed in. 

There are contracts in place which is why clubs don't opt out. 

Just wondering whether the financial hardship many clubs are in may work in Vale's favor in terms of us being able to sign Jake Taylor and possibly Mitch Clarke on a permanent basis. I would have thought Championship clubs like Forest would be looking to off load some players, perhaps not so much Prem Clubs but it's always assuming Vale have the funds to take advantage.

If the season has to be suspended without further games being played the final positions should be determined on an average points for game basis adjusted for the likelihood that teams will have had harder / easier sets of fixtures to date. So I propose to do that by bringing into consideration as well the remaining games to played and how difficult those remaining fixtures were likely to have been given the league placements currently of the teams. A mathematical value can be calculated for that and then taken into consideration. The question is how that is done.
So if you are 3 points clear at the top but still have to play the other 8 teams in the top 9 you would finish below the team in second who still have to play the bottom 8 and you?
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wotsyobeef said:
16 hours ago, Warren said:

So if you are 3 points clear at the top but still have to play the other 8 teams in the top 9 you would finish below the team in second who still have to play the bottom 8 and you?

It depends on the outcome of the calculation. I am tempted to do the analysis for the whole division but I spend all week doing accounting and audit and I can't find the willpower on Sunday. But With the power of Excel it wouldn't be very hard. The time consuming bit is to analyse the remaining fixtures. A lot of clubs have taken them down so it requires some digging to find a complete list.

Edited by Warren

32 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Head to Heads already played for top 8 could be another option.Average points totals.No need to play any more games.

Eg. Vale Pl. 11 Points 21 .Average points 1.91.

Eg. Crewe Pl. 9  Points 6 .Average points 0.67.

😂

4 hours ago, wotsyobeef said:
17 hours ago, Warren said:

It's nonsense, how do you and who decides what is an easier or difficult game  ? We have beat Swindon , Crewe and Plymouth, but only got 1 point against Macclesfield  , does that make Macclesfield an easy game or a difficult game ? Warren please explain ?? 

• Thanks 1

I think the season needs to be cancelled and we start preparing for when we can get the next one underway. Games behind closed doors sounds like a good idea but if/when Liverpool win the league do you think their fans will just sit on the settee and say well done chaps? No, there will be thousands of them at the ground celebrating and spreading. Same for the other leagues just on a lesser scale. Just write it off now. 

• Like 1

Of course no one knows what's going to happen or how long this lockdown is going to last. However, I was thinking (and it hurt) the other day, that if this season is scrapped and /or completed at the end of the year, leaving us with just January to May for next season, what about splitting the EFL leagues into northern and southern e g League 2 North with 12 clubs and only 22 games to play before May 2021?? How promotions/relegations etc would be resolved will have to be thought about. Then hopefully, a full season could start in August 2021.

Stay safe and well everyone! UTV

8 hours ago, DistantVale said:

It's nonsense, how do you and who decides what is an easier or difficult game  ? We have beat Swindon , Crewe and Plymouth, but only got 1 point against Macclesfield  , does that make Macclesfield an easy game or a difficult game ? Warren please explain ?? 

Yes it does statistically make Macclesfield an easier game. 

The mini league idea with only the teams in promotion positions eligible etc. ignores the rights of the other teams in the league to complete games and earn as much income as possible. So on its own that is ethically wrong. The clubs will lose advertising income, sponsorship and potential TV income if they don't get to play at all. I know this ignores the issue that playing a game in lock down may lose money for some clubs and I have no information of the financial circumstances of different clubs and where break even points might be.