onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

23 minutes ago, Timothius said:

That's exactly what should have been done with L2

Sometimes you jump the gun and I agree. Clubs will still go bump in the new  League 2 scenario, but I am sure, more financial support would have arrived if League 2 had waited. The lower levels need the fans but they also need to keep them. Easy to lose them if you are inactive. Hard choice I know but I still believe it was done too soon. 

Advert

42 minutes ago, ginginator said:

Sometimes you jump the gun and I agree. Clubs will still go bump in the new  League 2 scenario, but I am sure, more financial support would have arrived if League 2 had waited. The lower levels need the fans but they also need to keep them. Easy to lose them if you are inactive. Hard choice I know but I still believe it was done too soon. 

I agree. 

Totally agree there.

Reported in Today's Spanish newspapers -

02/06/2020

UD Las Palmas believes that the epidemiological situation of the Canary Islands, which on Monday will enter phase 3, allows you to organize safely the match that will play on June 13 against Girona with a maximum of 11,000 spectators present in its stadium, a third of its capacity.

Yeah I was reading about it last night. They're not saying there definitely will be fans there, but that they're working towards it. The Canary Islands are a bit ahead of other areas on the mainland in terms of lifting the lockdown and they believe it's not for the league to rule whether games are to be played behind closed doors, it's a matter for their regional government.

• 1 month later...

Banning away support makes a lot of sense for me. Theoretically at least it means the vast majority if the crowd are from the same general area. If there's an outbreak in Manchester then it doesn't affect anyone in Crewe following their team playing at Salford, and vice versa.

37 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Banning away support makes a lot of sense for me. Theoretically at least it means the vast majority if the crowd are from the same general area. If there's an outbreak in Manchester then it doesn't affect anyone in Crewe following their team playing at Salford, and vice versa.

True, but there is also an element of the home crowd that travel from outside the district and  can be season ticket holders. I like the idea of waiter service in the stands but closing the toilets at half time  means more disruption during the game.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

If they still go ahead with the league cup fa cup with replays in place and the checkatrade trophy then we will play saturday tuesday pretty much every week. 

I wonder if we'll be making some bargain bucket signings in October. A player like Will Atkinson who can do a job in 5 or 6 roles on a cheap wage wouldn't be a bad addition given the intensity once the season gets underway. Trickett-Smith,  Hurst and Campbell-Gordon are likely to get more game time than in previous seasons.

20 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

If they still go ahead with the league cup fa cup with replays in place and the checkatrade trophy then we will play saturday tuesday pretty much every week. 

Will there be any point to the League Cup next season? It's not as though you can fill the ground if you draw somebody big so the purpose of the competition for lower league clubs isn't there.

While games are being played behind closed doors or with limited capacity, the FLT will be more viable as a tournament for the likes of us because at least a bit of the TV money trickles down.

Will there be any point to the League Cup next season? It's not as though you can fill the ground if you draw somebody big so the purpose of the competition for lower league clubs isn't there.
While games are being played behind closed doors or with limited capacity, the FLT will be more viable as a tournament for the likes of us because at least a bit of the TV money trickles down.
There is also the chance to win it and money in the coffers.

There is an article on The Sentinel site about next season, and how it will work (it is based all around Stoke's situation, of course 🙄, but some will apply to the EFL as a whole) :-

Supporters hope to be back in grounds in October - but how many?

...a draft document from the Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) claims that stadia could still be as low as 17 per cent of capacity - and as high as 33 per cent full - due to social distancing rules.

The document states: “It is emphasised that capacity assessments arrived at after optimising seat allocations will be permitted only if it can be shown that the entry, exit and emergency exit capacities and, where applicable, the concourse capacity, can support such numbers when social distancing is in place.”

Peter Houghton, director of operations for the Football Safety Officers Association, told The Times: “Concourse capacities are going to be key to the amount of the stadium that can be used. Generally the older the stadiums the less space there is.”

It remains to be seen what will be allowed with away support - and streaming matches before and after October.

Introduction of a maximum squad size

Clubs are also set to vote on whether to follow the Premier League's lead and bring in a maximum squad size.

In the Championship, that would mean 25 registered players, as is the case with the top flight.

Five substitutes expected to be allowed

the EFL - like the Premier League and the FA with the FA Cup - will decide themselves whether to allow it in their own competitions.

The EFL has been expected to consult clubs at the end of the season.

More mid-week games

To fit in the normal number of fixtures in a shorter space of time, there will be more mid-week matches - with 14 in the provisional schedule. That is up from eight last season, not including Bank Holidays.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems the Carabao Cup will be starting in the week before the League season kicks-off.

....and maybe even at the end of August, for ties involving Championship clubs that will have players away on international duty during the first week of September.

Sentinel link (all concerned with Stoke - surprise surprise, but could still affect other clubs that are drawn against some Championship clubs)

Archived