onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

13 hours ago, JRC said:

I'm sure Cheltenham will keep all the additional league 1 funding so there shouldn't be compensation.  They should have proposed the top 4 got promoted.... if they didn't like the finances. They could always give us their place!

The players that Colchester have decided to release can still play in the play offs ,providing they take place by the 30th June. They will all be contracted until 30th June.  All that Colchester have done till now is to make those players aware that they won't be offered a  contract for next season.   

Advert

13 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Can they afford to play on?

I don’t know the answer to that question. Personally my belief is that we either put everything on hold, until it is safe and have shorter closed seasons over the next few years or we forget about the season and start again when safe from scratch.

I see that Charlton Athletic don’t want PPG as they will be relegated having only been in the bottom three for a couple of days before we went into lockdown. Clubs are fighting for survival and CAFC have made the proposal  that we take the league positions from when every club had played each other once which means Stoke get relegated. It’s a minefield and I just want to be fair and don’t want to see any club and their fans disadvantaged. These are unprecedented times and hopefully will never happen again.

53 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I don’t know the answer to that question. Personally my belief is that we either put everything on hold, until it is safe and have shorter closed seasons over the next few years or we forget about the season and start again when safe from scratch.

I see that Charlton Athletic don’t want PPG as they will be relegated having only been in the bottom three for a couple of days before we went into lockdown. Clubs are fighting for survival and CAFC have made the proposal  that we take the league positions from when every club had played each other once which means Stoke get relegated. It’s a minefield and I just want to be fair and don’t want to see any club and their fans disadvantaged. These are unprecedented times and hopefully will never happen again.

The Charlton ' system' as all of them are are is flawed 

Their system means some teams played 12 home games and others 11.

None of the the solutions replicate a true scenario. Momentum is key either an upwards or downwards spiral.

Think Hull had 2 points from last 36 and looked nailed on to go down. 

Tranmere were flying and from 10 points adrift were only 3 behind and still had Wimbledon to play 

Vale and Cheltenham were the form teams, Colchester and Northampton were rocking and still had each other to play .

Harrogate still had to meet Barrow. 

What's done is done as far as our league is concerned , I'm a believer in it's never too soon to go up. The chance of playing Sunderland, Pompey etc or stick with Morecambe and Crawley. No brainer. 

However we'll never know and the play offs are going to be a sham with no crowds .

19 hours ago, pvfc_loyal said:

I see League 1 are on about extending their playoffs down to 9th. We should be all over trying to get the same for us

This is like demanding we go into a raffle of 6 teams.

One team gets promotion and some money... albeit not enough to actually compete next year in a scenario where fans may not be allowed to watch.

The other 5 teams lose £400,000 which could have been used for the security of the club and the continual rebuilding required.

I certainly wouldn't be getting a ticket for that raffle!!

19 hours ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

In the end perhaps we have paid the price of all those points dropped to poor teams and late late goals. We should have been in the top 3! 

Indeed.  Had our defence not been practising social distancing in the last minute against Scunthorpe we would be in the play offs!

18 hours ago, Wrex said:

I don't get that. Clubs have missed 4 or 5 home games this season. But also they've put players on furlough, which they would not have been able to do with the pandemic, and they're releasing around a third of their squads who are out of contract in the summer.

I'm guessing he's saying clubs will have to start paying and signing players again in August, causing costs to skyrocket. Perhaps as things stand there will be a loss of solidarity or broadcast payments.

I think in the summer then the idea of putting a hold to next season until crowds are allowed back in will be muted.

Several issues:

Loss of 4/5 home games can be a good chunk of income, especially to the smaller clubs.

ST sales are way down - we've down well to shift nearly a thousand, but with people's economic future so uncertain, clubs aren't going to be getting that guaranteed income that sustains them any time soon.

Merchandise sales way down - shifting 500 kits at £30-£40 a pop is massive.

Sponsors are gone; will any sponsors commit to boxes, stand/shirt/player sponsors with no idea when football will be back?

Off-season revenue generating activities are gone; a fair few clubs do concerts, open days etc which are a tidy little earner. Add in any courses/events which may be held at the ground, as we do at VP.

If the EFL was better run, and clubs were forced to limit spending to a sustainable level, then we'd probab;y be alright.

Unfortunately, most clubs live month to month, often incurring losses, and are now at the behest of a benevolent businessman/woman who has enough cash coming in to their other companies during a severe global recession to continue to bail out the club, and is willing to continue doing so. Our ex-Chairman wouldn't have, for example.

With the likelihood that solidarity payments will drop next year, these next 12 months will be very difficult for those living in the 'here and now', and a tad bit easier for those with a bit more pragmatism. Thankfully, we fall into the latter.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Indeed.  Had our defence not been practising social distancing in the last minute against Scunthorpe we would be in the play offs!

Just for those like me who love a stat 

We only gained 5 points from last minute goals .

Mansfield H, Bradford A , Stevenage A

We lost 8 points from last minute goals 

Salford A, Orient A, Mansfield A, Scunny H .

However the worst stat of all

We led in 8 away games where we failed to win any of them. 

Colchester, Salford, Grimsby, Walsall, Orient, Scunny, Mansfield, Macc .

So although it feels way worse we were only actually 3 points down from injury time shockers. 

What does it tell us, that we could not hold on to a lead . 

I'll get my anorak 

Does anyone know what the situation is with new strips this summer?  Obviously the shop is shut atm, but when allowed to open social distancing should be failrly easy.  Furlough may come into play.  I owe my grandson a new strip for his recent birthday.   Might all have been put on to hold of course.  Thanks.

I really dislike talks of a merger.

Reductive, basic, sticking-plaster solution to endemic problems with the financial structure of the EFL.

We exist in a system that rewards ill-advised financial gambling, risking the existence of a club on the small chance you get promoted, exacerbated by gargantuan parachute payments that perpetuate the game of 'catch-up' which clubs either engage in or get left behind, to the ire of their fans who fail to see past the next season, or sometimes, the next match.

Instead of working towards salary caps, reducing the gap between divisions, the reduction of parachute payments, proper integration of U23 players (not through the introduction of B sides), we get "let's make some away games a bit closer! Surely that'll boost attendances", failing to recognise that clubs like Plymouth often bring our biggest following, and clubs like Macclesfield and Salford, 30 minutes away, usually fail to break 400. I'm not really fussed if my next away day is travelling up the M6 or down it, to be completely honest.

The merger idea takes all of 30 seconds to come up with and seems to be predicated on this idea that 'no other country has four professional divisions'. What's also true is that no other country receives broadcast revenues on the scale of the English top flight, with our top league raking in double its nearest rival.

If they must have these play-offs, (which btw I'm very happy now we're not part of) why not do them by penalty shoot-outs in one day, get the whole lot done. All 4 L2 teams are in the south, so probably best to use a neutral ground like Forest Green or Swindon or even Aldershot, get the EFL to fund the security and other costs involved, get Cheltenham and Exeter in first  about 9 30 am (or whoever's playing who and smallest distance to travel), no 2-leg nonsense, usual shoot-out rules, when they're done, winners wait somewhere, losers go home, Colchester & Northampton come in next say at 11 30 (or whoever's got the furthest to travel, no hotels), do the same, then do the final in the afternoon. Muted celebrations. Sorted. No one needs to get out of pocket. Players' pay to be deferred if possible so furlough not interrupted (might need to be corrected on that cz I dunno exactly how that could work).

Safety-wise, have each player come from the stands out to shoot individually. Sanitize the ball between each attempt. Goalie to wear total protective clothing. Players seated at great distance from each other in the stands. First tie to starrt about 10 am to allow for travel. Should be all decided by 2 or 3 pm.

Probably a mountain of reasons why this wouldn't work, but it was just an idea I had the other day, while enjoying all the admiration & credit Vale are getting from everyone at present!! 

Let's hope Vale do go up, but after a full season — whenever that'll be. 

Stay safe and well everyone. UTV

Made exactly that point Joe on a thread a none OVF regular put on recently.

Plymouth and Swindon were two of the biggest away followings at Vale.

Salford, Morecambe and Macc possibly didn't bring that amount combined. 

Part of the joys of following Vale is a day in the smoke at a Leyton Orient or Wimbledon. A weekend away in Plymouth etc etc. 

Can't think of anything worse than suddenly welcoming Halifax, Stockport, Hartlepool back into the fold without proper merit. 

Hopefully it will be a dead duck 

Archived