onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

Advert

2 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Just think she gave it up too easily. Have to be ruthless in football.. Footballs a dog eat dog world. Im not doubting her morals though first class.

Kicking off would have achieved nothing. The other clubs weren't going to be swayed. We'd just look bitter.

We ensured a united front and a swift resolution, probably preserving a few club's finances in the process.

4 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Just think she gave it up too easily. Have to be ruthless in football.. Footballs a dog eat dog world. Im not doubting her morals though first class.

Football may be dog eat dog, but a global pandemic shouldn't be.

We finished where we deserved to over the games played. The league one idea is ridiculous, extend the playoffs to 9th and teams in 10th and 11th have a legitimate claim to extend it further. Whatever cutoff point you use will always be arbitrary, so you might as well stick with what was agreed in the first place. I can see why the chairmen are trying for this as the extra income between league one and The Championship is massive. Its nowhere near the same between leagues 1 and 2. Personally I think they should have just promoted the top 4. Playing the playoffs will be a massive financial burden - no furlough money (may impact until October), plus match bonuses, with very limited income and at best a 1 in 4 chance of promotion. At least this way Askey can do a degree of planning for next season, hopefully with a view to a top 3 finish. 

The EFL do need to decide quite quickly on a start date to work towards for next season. Are they prepared to start without crowds? Will there be more pay per view to compensate if that happens? Are they going to plan for reduced capacity at grounds for social distancing to occur, maybe removing some seating (would be in our favour with big ground for the size of crowds)? Really for the long-term good of all teams this should be the focus, not a petty squabble about trying to get teams into an extended playoff structure.

Personally I think Carol has played a blinder - the vast majority of clubs didn't want to / financially couldn't, finish the season.  ( would we if we weren't so close to the PO's)  PO's are a 1 in 4 chance (and we were what 50: 50 to get into them), so it's not like we have been robbed of promotion. As it is, the club has come out of it with enormous nationwide credit. The only difference is the vote would have been 23 : 1 - or 2 if Bradford had followed suit. In the end perhaps we have paid the price of all those points dropped to poor teams and late late goals. We should have been in the top 3! 

PO's will be interesting,  Cheltenham asking for compo for reaching them, Colchester severely weakened ( league integrity anyone),  Will they change the rules and competing clubs keep all the Sky tv money I wonder.  No relegation is an absolute disgrace, if ever a club deserved to go down it is Stevenage - 3 games won all season, only close cos of Macc having a Normanesqe owner.  

Personally I don't think we have heard the last of this.  What if L1 do likewise and vote for no relegation?  Haven't the FA said they will not allow no relegation - or is that just the Prem? All could depend on the Prem anyway. If they don't have relegation it all goes t@@s up anyway.  Very complicated.

If next season starts without fans, what become of ST's?  How can any club survive? Well, without huge owner input ala Stoke and Salford.  So many questions.

Personally, gutted, promotions don't come very often, or potential days out at Wembley,  but this is a once in a lifetime event, (hopefully!!!  I'm 63 next month and have never witnessed owt like this).  Thinking of Old Sage perhaps you get some perspective on it all.  

Stay safe fellow Valiants - hope to see you all soon.  UTV.

The Swindon chairman suggests 40% of L1 and L2 clubs won't make it to September if the current situation continues (including his own club).

Some fans suggest he's painting a overly negative picture ahead of contract negotiations, but I think there's legitimate concerns.

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

The Swindon chairman suggests 40% of L1 and L2 clubs won't make it to September if the current situation continues (including his own club).

Some fans suggest he's painting a overly negative picture ahead of contract negotiations, but I think there's legitimate concerns.

Ditto,  many were hanging on by their finger tips as it was.

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I don't get that. Clubs have missed 4 or 5 home games this season. But also they've put players on furlough, which they would not have been able to do with the pandemic, and they're releasing around a third of their squads who are out of contract in the summer.

I'm guessing he's saying clubs will have to start paying and signing players again in August, causing costs to skyrocket. Perhaps as things stand there will be a loss of solidarity or broadcast payments.

I think in the summer then the idea of putting a hold to next season until crowds are allowed back in will be muted.

5 hours ago, For Us All said:

The decision by League Two clubs will be irrelevant if the Championship and League One clubs don't agree to do the same.This is supposed to be the EFL and we can't have a different set of rules for each league?

That’s exactly the point I’m making. I might be wrong as I haven’t checked the tables of how clubs positions would change, but I’m sure it showed Wycombe jumping from their current position of 8th to 3rd. So that means from outside the play off positions to inside them, pushing Peterborough out who are currently 6th on the same points as Sunderland 7th and Wycombe 8th. 
I’m not sure that the final decision on our league has been reached. 

10 minutes ago, Joe B said:

In that case we are likely to be in L1 next season.

3 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

That’s exactly the point I’m making. I might be wrong as I haven’t checked the tables of how clubs positions would change, but I’m sure it showed Wycombe jumping from their current position of 8th to 3rd. So that means from outside the play off positions to inside them, pushing Peterborough out who are currently 6th on the same points as Sunderland 7th and Wycombe 8th. 
I’m not sure that the final decision on our league has been reached. 

Each league has to make their own decision, which is also acceptable to their adjacent league. L2 proposal is to promote 4 teams as usual,  and accept 3 teams from L1, Bury having had an early bath. What is the argument for L! against that?

43 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Each league has to make their own decision, which is also acceptable to their adjacent league. L2 proposal is to promote 4 teams as usual,  and accept 3 teams from L1, Bury having had an early bath. What is the argument for L! against that?

I just don’t believe some clubs will accept the decision for their respective leagues to be settled on PPG. Especially when you look at the money swilling around in the Championship compared to L1. There are at least six clubs in L1 that have stated that they want to play on. As you point out it’s a pyramid which could be likened to a chain in the housing market, one pulls out and the chain falls apart.

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

I just don’t believe some clubs will accept the decision for their respective leagues to be settled on PPG. Especially when you look at the money swilling around in the Championship compared to L1. There are at least six clubs in L1 that have stated that they want to play on. As you point out it’s a pyramid which could be likened to a chain in the housing market, one pulls out and the chain falls apart.

Can they afford to play on?

2 hours ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

Personally I think Carol has played a blinder - the vast majority of clubs didn't want to / financially couldn't, finish the season.  ( would we if we weren't so close to the PO's)  PO's are a 1 in 4 chance (and we were what 50: 50 to get into them), so it's not like we have been robbed of promotion. As it is, the club has come out of it with enormous nationwide credit. The only difference is the vote would have been 23 : 1 - or 2 if Bradford had followed suit. In the end perhaps we have paid the price of all those points dropped to poor teams and late late goals. We should have been in the top 3! 

PO's will be interesting,  Cheltenham asking for compo for reaching them, Colchester severely weakened ( league integrity anyone),  Will they change the rules and competing clubs keep all the Sky tv money I wonder.  No relegation is an absolute disgrace, if ever a club deserved to go down it is Stevenage - 3 games won all season, only close cos of Macc having a Normanesqe owner.  

Personally I don't think we have heard the last of this.  What if L1 do likewise and vote for no relegation?  Haven't the FA said they will not allow no relegation - or is that just the Prem? All could depend on the Prem anyway. If they don't have relegation it all goes t@@s up anyway.  Very complicated.

If next season starts without fans, what become of ST's?  How can any club survive? Well, without huge owner input ala Stoke and Salford.  So many questions.

Personally, gutted, promotions don't come very often, or potential days out at Wembley,  but this is a once in a lifetime event, (hopefully!!!  I'm 63 next month and have never witnessed owt like this).  Thinking of Old Sage perhaps you get some perspective on it all.  

Stay safe fellow Valiants - hope to see you all soon.  UTV.

I'm sure Cheltenham will keep all the additional league 1 funding so there shouldn't be compensation.  They should have proposed the top 4 got promoted.... if they didn't like the finances. They could always give us their place!

Archived