onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

11 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
32 minutes ago, DistantVale said:
Dear me with all that is going on in the world is it such a problem ..........really !

He's allowed an opinion on things. He isn't disrespecting those passed. Just having his view on the football side if things.

You're right everyone is allowed an opinion, as am I

11 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
32 minutes ago, DistantVale said:
Dear me with all that is going on in the world is it such a problem ..........really !

He's allowed an opinion on things. He isn't disrespecting those passed. Just having his view on the football side if things.

Advert

Do you think that there’ll be undisclosed compensation packages.?

In L2 we aren’t the big guns and there are clubs in L1 that want to finish the season. Sunderland have some financial backing and clubs in the Championship will challenge the decision if it’s worked out on the same formula that L2 has been worked using. I thought that Crewe have been sensible by refusing to make any comment. Could this be that there will be resistance from clubs being told that they’re been relegated from L1

2 hours ago, Properman said:

If you are doing the top three on ppg, then do the same for next four . No games needed, also Stevenage down, cant have two rules.

We are going come back strong next season, with a bit of luck.

I do think we could have been a force above next season, I am not of the same frame of mind as Jean, players( because of our great owners )would have wanted to  come I'm sure.

But let's regroup and put everything behind next season. 

You could be right but the more I hear the more I'm content we aren't in the play offs.  The fans of the clubs involved are starting to worry about the costs.  Players will have to be taken off furlough and paid by their clubs which have no income.  Once off furlough I think they can't go back on although I may be wrong.  Only one of the four will gain the benefit of promotion and the other three will be at a disadvantage to the other teams in the division because of the costs they have had to endure.  The winner will then be going up into a more competitive league with less cash in invest in team strengthening.

Happy to live with the decision.

You could be right but the more I hear the more I'm content we aren't in the play offs.  The fans of the clubs involved are starting to worry about the costs.  Players will have to be taken off furlough and paid by their clubs which have no income.  Once off furlough I think they can't go back on although I may be wrong.  Only one of the four will gain the benefit of promotion and the other three will be at a disadvantage to the other teams in the division because of the costs they have had to endure.  The winner will then be going up into a more competitive league with less cash in invest in team strengthening.
Happy to live with the decision.
It is also a lottery if when/if next season starts etc. Preparing for a season that may not happen.

The only fair way was null/void the efl have got it totally wrong teams can't afford playoffs no relegation but 3 teams who have achieved nothing have been promoted and they wonder why people are losing interest in football it's all about money also footballers should only be tested if they are showing symptoms like every other frontline workers who has a job to do 

now I have not been up to speed on the forum for obvious reasons, but I remember a report that we had gone to the MOAS about a  goal being disallowed, anyone know if we've had a result from that? and if it was upheld could that have made/make a difference?

just a hopeful thought, although I go with whatever Carol's reasoning...

12 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Do you think that there’ll be undisclosed compensation packages.?

In L2 we aren’t the big guns and there are clubs in L1 that want to finish the season. Sunderland have some financial backing and clubs in the Championship will challenge the decision if it’s worked out on the same formula that L2 has been worked using. I thought that Crewe have been sensible by refusing to make any comment. Could this be that there will be resistance from clubs being told that they’re been relegated from L1

The decision by League Two clubs will be irrelevant if the Championship and League One clubs don't agree to do the same.This is supposed to be the EFL and we can't have a different set of rules for each league?

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

The decision by League Two clubs will be irrelevant if the Championship and League One clubs don't agree to do the same.This is supposed to be the EFL and we can't have a different set of rules for each league?

There are different rules normally.  Championship relegate 3 teams, L1 relegate 4 teams, L2 relegate 2 teams. Financial rules are different in each league. Each league can vote individually, but in a EFL vote the Championship teams  all have votes but the others only have delegate votes. The National League have one promotion plus the Bury vacancy which allows 2 teams to join them from below and restore the league to its normal size, so no need to relegate anyone from L2. Obviously power as always is in the Championship, more money or greed there, but at least L2 sorted themselves out.

Just now, rob1983 said:

Still struggling why we would give this season up. No guarantees next season will happen. Should of fought for our position this season.

It was going to end up like this anyway, we were just the final vote to make it unanimous and avoid any more debates/arguing. Every other club was in favour. Plus, we couldn't afford it; the cost of unfurloughing the players, paying for the tests, and hosting the games with no matchday revenue would have obliterated our budget, after such hard work to have us operating on a profit.

There will be more seasons, and more opportunities.

It may hurt now, but I think, long-term, we will benefit from this.

We're already planning for the restart, and Carol is clear she wants promotion. We have a settled manager, settled players, and will be in a far healthier financial position than most. Our reputation is now excellent, from our style of football, development of individuals, and the 'people-first' focus of our owners.

We have another season of developing our young talents (Gibbons, Burgess, Smith if he stays) and can look forward to a season of winning and fighting at the top end of the table. As we know, this is the best way to increase the fanbase and maximise revenue. Keep building the feelgood factor; keep the steady progress off the field up, safe in the knowledge on the pitch we're in a good situation.

The alternative is forking out 400-500k on the playoffs, probably missing out. Even if we did win it, we've then got to assemble a competitive League 1 side (which we're some way off), on lower budgets, reduced solidarity payments, and having paid a lot of money just for the right to contest the playoffs. We go into League 1, most likely battling to stay up, and although we're proud, its not conducive to larger crowds and financial growth.

Yes, it would have been nice, but it would have been a strain on our finances and an almighty challenge.

In previous years, I'd be keen to go up here and now, as we simply weren't run well enough to rely on consistency and sustainability. That's been the case since 2003; cling to the fleeting success, as the clowns in the boardroom will ensure it doesn't last. 2012-13 was a stroke of luck/genius of Micky Adams and Tom Pope, stumbling across a striker in the form of his life. It wasn't a consequence of good, long-term planning, and well-thought out methods.

Now, I feel more calm; we have people who will make sure tomorrow is brighter than today, maybe only marginally. The building blocks are in place, and progress is being made. We're working towards finishing the Lorne Street, the club was operating on a profit within 9 months of being insolvent, attendances were steadily increasing, we were tying down good players in a sensible and efficient manner. We were being run properly. If we succeed, its by design, and not sh!thouse.

We'll get another chance, is what I'm saying. I understand the frustration, hurt, and feelings of injustice; we've been shafted, more than any other professional club in the country. We have every right to kick off.

What's pleased me, however, is the philosophical approach our owners, manager, players, and fans have taken it in. Yes, it hurts, but we move on. We're coming out of this with national acclaim, rival clubs doffing their caps. Our reputation grows. Players and agents now know we're a good club, well-run, with good morals (building off the work last season). Andy Holt worships the ground Carol walks on. I saw a Wolves fan lauding us. Even Stoke fans are giving us credit. We're back.

My overall feelings, having had time to process them over the last few difficult days, is that good times are coming. Patience is needed, and this is a kick in the teeth, but I think in years to come we'll look back and realise that we sacrificed the short-term pleasure for long-term success.

Archived