onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

Clubs can't afford to extend contracts with the lack of revenue. You can't then say 'protect the integrity of the league' but also expect clubs to finish the season with vastly depleted squads because they've had to release their best players, along the overspending teams to waltz the last 9.

I agree entirely. Every argument for restarting involves a load of "if"s but even if it were possible to do all these things, who's to say clubs won't then say that, for example, playing in front of closed gates is a disadvantage etc. There's no way everyone is going to be happy for some sort of artificial round of matches to be added to the season.

Surely the number one most important thing is to keep people safe - it is only one season in sport after all - I can't see how cancelling the season now isn't anything other than a sensible and practical way to proceed. After the National League and League 2 have done so, I suspect it could very well be the case in League 1 too before very long.

Advert

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Clubs can't afford to extend contracts with the lack of revenue. You can't then say 'protect the integrity of the league' but also expect clubs to finish the season with vastly depleted squads because they've had to release their best players, along the overspending teams to waltz the last 9.

In Austria the season ends in March after a short restart in Feb following on from the winter break and January transfer window. Top half teams go into a min league table to win the league / europe qualifaction and the bottom half going into a relegation playoff. There is no transfer window between the league finishing and the playoffs, which lasts until May. 

Whats the difference between squads in September being the start of the season or for the last 9 games?

i dont think there is an option that isnt bad in some way. I can imagine tranmere will be upset though if league 1 go the same way. And if they dont then those at the top of the table in league 2 wont be happy. A team losing out on promotion because the season ended can be dealt with as financially they are no different off, but relegation could be terrible for a club. I can imagine there being legal challenges if it happens.

Barely a year into the rebuilding job, getting promoted 'too' early, added to the existing uncertainty of not knowing what we're planning for next season (only at a higher level) , could have been a problem.

As it is, we still don't know when we'll restart again, when we can let the fans in, what sort of revenue can we budget for...

A lot of the existing norms in football will be out of the window.

I think this is the fairest decision that could be made in the end.

I wonder what will happen to 19/20 season tickets - whether a refund is due on unplayed games or not - although I'm in a position where I would not need/want to accept one. Maybe they could offer club shop vouchers first if there is a legal requirement to offer one?

It’s good to hear praise of the club from outside sources. I get the impression that the reputation of Port Vale behind the scenes is rapidly improving thanks to the work and conduct of the Shanahans, a reputation that I can only imagine was pretty poor at best under the previous owner. We are becoming a club that players want to sign for and that can only bode well for the coming years

56 minutes ago, Santa said:

It would have made more sense to promote the top three in League Two, then only relegate the bottom two in League One.

Bolton and Southend were dead and buried, but it could have got messy if you had to decide who goes down out of AFC Wimbledon and Tranmere.

League One would be returned to the full compliment of 24 clubs and the only issue for League Two would be to either promote a National League side (say, Barrow) or just have a 23 team league next season.

Yeah that's what I thought. As you say the league tables lined up that two down (plus Bury) and three up would have worked nicely, then no play-offs and a reprive for the 21st spot in League One.

They say no relegation but I guess this just means Barrow replace Bury?

13 minutes ago, DaneValiant said:

If they don't think its right/safe to finish the league, how are they going to play the playoffs?Cut it off, send the top three up and relegate one less from League One

I can't quite understand that either. It would have made more sense just to have straight promotion and binned the play-offs for this season. 

Archived