onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

20 hours ago, Warren said:

We have drawn too many games and that is why we aren't higher. I suppose that is better than losing them.

our record against the top ten sides is title winning form. Its our record against the teams in the bottom half that has prevented us from being in the top 4. 

Askey has made this squad hard to beat against the better opposition. If we can improve next season ( whenever that may be ) we will finish in the automatic places.

Advert

4 hours ago, For Us All said:

Simple,if they don't feel it's safe to play they won't turn up,despite what the EFL come up with.

Must be nice for them being wealthy enough to forego their huge wages and stay at home. I'm sure many of the people who will be packed onto train and bus carriages next week on their way to work would love to be able to make such decisions.

1 minute ago, Wrex said:

Must be nice for them being wealthy enough to forego their huge wages and stay at home. I'm sure many of the people who will be packed onto train and bus carriages next week on their way to work would love to be able to make such decisions.

Only the same as what unions are telling ordinary workers,if it's not safe don't go.

6 hours ago, For Us All said:

Only the same as what unions are telling ordinary workers,if it's not safe don't go.

Boris Johnson in the daily briefing couldn't have been clearer on a number of things. To reopen a workplace it must meet the COVID-19 restrictions on which the government has / is issuing guidance. / requirements / regulations. There will be increased spot inspections by the Health and Safety Executive. It is for employees to discuss the situation with employers and reach agreement. The categories of workplaces remain the same; must open, could open, must be shut down. He was also clear about the restrictions on public transport where it will be operating full social distancing and therefore capacity will be about 10%. The further underpinning message was baby steps, not some great mass reopening because social distancing must be maintained. There are lots of factories where this should be possible, but I find it hard to see it in offices; but home working has increased from 15% of the population to 45% and many of these employers like mine have now reached full business as usual within crisis management. There will be permanent changes to home / work policies and it should eventually enable a further growth in the overall workforce which is economically good. BoJo also made the very valid point that the UK's furlough scheme has protected a lot of jobs and is the most generous or among to most generous worldwide. Certainly got fed up yesterday and today at people determined the find fault or make stupid interpretations of what is inevitably much more complex than stay at home. But BoJo and the government remained supremely patient today and his guidance on the daily briefing took in most of the difficult scenarios and judgments envisaged at the moment. 

I think the Port Vale website has an inappropriate message re season tickets; pack the park. I have bought two. But packing the part isn't going to happen that way in 2020. Maybe we can get to socially distanced gates of 5000 if the whole ground is used orderly. Probably with no away fans. I don't mean to be too critical the spirit of supporting the club is right.

On 11/05/2020 at 20:49, Warren said:

I think the Port Vale website has an inappropriate message re season tickets; pack the park. I have bought two. But packing the part isn't going to happen that way in 2020. Maybe we can get to socially distanced gates of 5000 if the whole ground is used orderly. Probably with no away fans. I don't mean to be too critical the spirit of supporting the club is right.

There is plenty of room in the away end to socially distance fans. Many clubs bring less than 500 so the seating in there accomodate them. 

At the end of the day the season has been suspended. The only fair way is to finish the current season. The issue is contracts need to be binding to a season not a year end. Players, some anyway, lose their allegiance to a club midway through a season so those out of contract or unhappy, seek a move (if you read transfer gossip). Teams can have a pre season when the time is right, play the fixtures they had left. Nothing is unfair, you just play the teams that you were scheduled to play. The league gets finished and we go again. The issue is finance. You can argue that next season will be an issue, but all leagues are all over the place, but to me I have started so i 

7 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
1 hour ago, Lovetrap. said:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52665805

Football in England: Government 'opens door for safe return in June'

Sadly will not be for our League by the looks of things.

As Carol explained, as soon as they go back to training. furlough stops, without the prospect of gate money how is it possible?

Good to see the government is making it clear that they expect the Premier League to fund the lower leagues and not to expect the taxpayer to bail out clubs when there is the wealth of the top flight.

I'm sure we'll be fine with Carol and monetary support from the Premier League. Just a matter of how long other clubs can hold out with matchday revenue. Long term sustainability and all that.

With furlough going on until October and it previously been muted that spectators may be allowed in around October, I can't help but wonder if clubs would want to find a way to delay the start of the next season until October and cramming in matches and taking out the EFL Trophy.

I'm guessing that won't happen because the Premier League will need to start on time and they'll want the EFL to stay in sync with that, although it would make economic sense for lower league clubs who are reliant on gate receipts.

Archived