onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

https://en.as.com/en/2020/05/09/football/1589033994_563150.html

The dreaded B teams are back into the discussion again apparently. Football can be changed and improved with this crisis, perhaps just kept largely as it is, or maybe equally likely the elites will use it to take more power over the smaller clubs.

Ironically the guy bringing up B teams again works at Brighton, a team who have spent most of their history in the third tier.

Advert

2 hours ago, Wrex said:

This season will be ended next week for League One and Two, and whatever they do about promotion and relegation we'll still be in League Two next season so there's no point getting too worked up about it.

It's looking pretty set that next season will start in September behind closed doors. So clubs just need to deal with that the best they can. They'll have had over six months to prepare. They can get some kind of income from ifollow, rework the deal and raise the prices of necessary.

Yes they'll make less money from that than matchday revenue, but they'll also not have to have stewards or police costs. Half the players will be out of contract this summer and any new signings will have to accept reduced wages because the club's just can't afford pre-virus wages.

Hopefully crowds will be allowed back soon, perhaps limited to a few thousand, or no away fans or something like that of every little helps to reduce the R0 number. Not really relevant what the Dutch government are doing, we're not in the Netherlands. If the UK government say crowds of 1,000 are okay then we have 1,000 in, if they say 5,000 we'll have 5,000 in. If they say spectators have to wear facemasks then spectators have to wear facemasks.

We just have to get on with it within the limitations of what the virus permits, what the government permits, what finances allow. But with the furlough scheme looking to be wound down from June/July then any talk of knocking the season on the head and picking it up again in 2021 has to seen as extremely unlikely.

Excellent post 🙂

14 minutes ago, Wrex said:

The dreaded B teams are back into the discussion again apparently. Football can be changed and improved with this crisis, perhaps just kept largely as it is, or maybe equally likely the elites will use it to take more power over the smaller clubs.

Ironically the guy bringing up B teams again works at Brighton, a team who have spent most of their history in the third tier.

I am absolutely clear that if Port Vale becomes a b team I will stop supporting the club. Irresponsible owners like Smurf might not care about that. If the big club is paying most or all of the wages it won't matter if crowds are down to a couple of thousand.

5 hours ago, Emile said:

We could easily restart the season later this year with new squads. Consider it a mid season transfer window.

Ends the uncertainty and gives lots of room for things to develop. Clubs can release players now and don't need to go back to training until August. Season restarts for 9 weeks, winter break and then next season is a regional split north south with 2 automatic promotion spots and and 2 playoffs that are played between 2nd and 3rd teams north Vs south. 

No additional costs for restarting the season and it's not unfair to any club.

I don't see a single issue here. 

Cancel the season now and what happens come September if they can't start on time? Could go on forever. 

I agree. As I said fan's have already been told by the government they won't be allowed back until October at the earliest. So next season has the same predicament with clubs playing behind closed doors and unable to afford players wages etc. So as I stated and others have the best and only way is probably to carry this season on where we left off in 2021. They cannot promote a 5th places team with nine games to go,  on the chance of this that or the other.

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

Correct,it is expected that the 47 League One and Two clubs will vote to end the season with immediate effect.

It looks like Swindon,Crewe,Plymouth and Cheltenham will be promoted and Stevenage relegated,based on points per game.

Ignoring Exeter who are 4th what a joke. 

26 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:

Ignoring Exeter who are 4th what a joke. 

They are not ignoring Exeter but Cheltenham have played one game less , so that means if it goes points per game when that is calculated then Cheltenham go above Exeter.     

1 hour ago, Wrex said:

I saw that and I thought it was absolutely dreadful and disrespectful.

Loads of clubs are facing financial problems so do clubs in the PL:

1. Listen to the pleas to share their TV wealth more fairly and announce more funds for lower league clubs while scrapping the unfair parachute payments, finally giving the game an element of financial fairness it has missed for years.

2. Keep their millions and simply suggest they can snaffle some smaller clubs as B sides and/or preferred loan clubs. Oh, and dress it up as some sort of helpful advice.

Even in the midst of a crisis, money talks for the greedy elite. 

They are not ignoring Exeter but Cheltenham have played one game less , so that means if it goes points per game when that is calculated then Cheltenham go above Exeter.     
Also the reaons for this are teams can't afford play behind closed doors. Yet that same issue is there next season.

10 hours ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
13 hours ago, DistantVale said:

Would they win it

An issue seems to be weighting for away games to play or be played. If a weighting for this is applied then Cheltenham bump out Exeter. We can see how sensitive this is. I can't see how clubs can vote on a scheme of weighted points per game and it is likely to lead to legal challenge. That would take months and mean next season can't start; if it ever will start anyway.

An issue seems to be weighting for away games to play or be played. If a weighting for this is applied then Cheltenham bump out Exeter. We can see how sensitive this is. I can't see how clubs can vote on a scheme of weighted points per game and it is likely to lead to legal challenge. That would take months and mean next season can't start; if it ever will start anyway.

This is why I am putting the alternative argument across. Its going to cause more trouble than good. 

2 hours ago, Warren said:

Who is going to make a legal challenge , certainly the teams who are promoted are not going to complain !  Exeter may feel hard done by and Stevenage who have only won 3 games all season the same?

I believe the majority of the 47 clubs voted to use the points per game solution?

Nobody has voted for anything yet and mst clubs voting in favour would be ones with nothing to play for or it being in their favour. Most are avoiding the scenario on a finacial basis, when fans may nit be allowed back until October anyway. So as said before next season has thensame possible financial implications.

Archived