onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

12 hours ago, Emile said:

test before each match. It can be done in 3 hours. Your tested, you wait three hours for the results. If your clear you can join up with the team and play. Nobody would be allowed into the stadium without an all clear. Therefore nobody will catch it.

If you need to test everyone involved (starting XI, subs, coaches, ref etc) you're looking at something like at the very least 50-odd tests per game or 2,000+ tests before every single round of 40-odd fixtures. And that doesn't include any tests needed outside of matchdays.

If the govt is struggling to provide 100,000 tests a day for key workers then how is the UK general population going to react to a non-essential sport wanting to use 1,000s and 1,000s of tests rather than those test kits going to key workers who are putting themselves at risk. Even if it was possible, it would be a PR disaster.

I think they just need to give up on the season now. If there's no easy way to do something, then that's a very good indication that you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Advert

In Austria they are doing a test which allows you to visit the country. It takes 3 hours and costs 180 Euros. 50 tests per match even at this price (of which there is no doubt profit involved) would still be a hell of a lot cheaper than cancelling the league.

If the tests aren't accurate thats a whole different question. It seems to make a mockery of the thought that these tests are the only way to enter the country here though.

I can’t see leagues one and two going ahead as I think clubs will vote to scrap it. Bringing the players back in and taking them off furlough will put a huge financial strain on clubs who will have virtually none of their usual income stream for a matchday, plus there are some clubs who have nothing to play for and it will cost them huge amounts of money to stage the games. 

If it did go ahead then those clubs who have already released players because of the financial burden will probably then be fielding much weakened teams, with youth and fringe players having to come in. It then just completely devalues the games left. 

As much as I want to see this season finished I think the fact that there’s a brick wall of a cut off date to play the games, plus the money aspect, as well as the potential health risk will mean we dont have the time, money or the risk reduction to finish the season. 

15 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I can’t see leagues one and two going ahead as I think clubs will vote to scrap it. Bringing the players back in and taking them off furlough will put a huge financial strain on clubs who will have virtually none of their usual income stream for a matchday, plus there are some clubs who have nothing to play for and it will cost them huge amounts of money to stage the games. 

If it did go ahead then those clubs who have already released players because of the financial burden will probably then be fielding much weakened teams, with youth and fringe players having to come in. It then just completely devalues the games left. 

As much as I want to see this season finished I think the fact that there’s a brick wall of a cut off date to play the games, plus the money aspect, as well as the potential health risk will mean we dont have the time, money or the risk reduction to finish the season. 

There is no option for the season to be scrapped , the vote is on how to invoke promotion and relegation,   

It looks increasingly certain that no more games of the 19/20 season will be played in Leagues 1 and 2.

Clubs being asked to vote on how promotion/relegation will work. Normal Points Per Game and Weighted PPG being talked about.

Weighted PPG takes into account how many home and away games each team has left, as over the last six EFL season the average PPG for all home sides is 1.55, and away sides is 1.19.

It goes without saying that we don't go up with this. To restore the 72 EFL clubs, 3 come down from the Championship, replaced by the top 3 of League 1 under this system (Coventry, Rotherham, Oxford), and then 3 come down from League 1 (Tranmere, Southend, Bolton) and are replaced by the top 4 of League 2, due to Bury needing to be replaced. Those 4 are Swindon, Crewe, Plymouth, and Cheltenham. Stevenage go down.

No plans for playoffs to occur.

Its harsh but I don't see an alternative solution. The season has to finish by July 31st in order to account for all the contract changes. It won't be safe to play the games before then.

You're left with this option; unfair on some but as fair as its going to get, or null and void, which blatantly isn't fair.

In every division of football, teams are going to be shafted; for example, Exeter, who are currently 4th, will drop to 5th and miss out on promotion in weighted PPG.

We just happen to be one of the unlucky ones.

I think they might be trying to play games in Korea, the Faroe Islands and Germany so we might at least have something to watch quite soon.

We're stuck between a rock and a hard place aren't we?

My preference is to play out this season before we start a new one. But FIFA, EUEFA, Sky and the rest will dictate what we eventually decide to do.

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Unfair on some or unfair on all? If games aren't being played the whole season has to be scrapped with no promotion or relegation. 

. We all know that if we were top of the table/in the top 3, we wouldn't be calling for null and void.

League 1 and 2 simply cannot afford to finish the season once players contracts run out.

If you null and void, teams get shafted.

If you PPG, teams get shafted.

Obviously we fall in the latter

I would wager its less fair to throw 39 games of table-topping/promotion form out of the window.

I get the argument regarding 'some teams have an easy run in, you never know what will happen' etc etc but I wouldn't be comfortable with a complete expungement of the 19/20 season from the records. We pretending Pope's goal, breaking the postwar record vs City, didn't happen?

The choice is stark; clubs cannot afford to extend contracts/sign players after 31st July, which they'd need to do if they had fixtures to fulfill.

You have two options:

Null and void, cancel all relegation and promotions, wipe all results and goals from the season and pretend it didn't happen.

Award promotion and relegation, accepting that some teams will be unfortunate.

Its a no win situation; someone takes the hit either way.

In my view, if we were top 3, we'd be shouting from the rooftops against null and void.

I agree joe, it is no win either way.

I think ultimately deciding the season based on form is the way to go, if completion is out of the window which is looking more and more likely.

I don't want the railway children to be promoted and we have got a more than fairs chance of making the playoffs in normal circumstances. But if we try to be objective I think a PPG system is best. 

In my opinion promoting / relegating clubs will piss off more teams than voiding the entire season. Any club within a chance of a playoff place will be upset.

My preference is still to finish this season, I still see no problem with that restarting in September followed by a shorter north / south league next season.

Archived