onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

Could treat the completion  of the season as a tour, away from their families, take over a hotel  and live in isolation,  anyone becoming ill would  have to leave the tour with their season over.. But dread to think of the economics outside the Prem.   As for next season,  how much riskier than lots of other jobs?

Advert

Good to discuss this sensibly.

Football of course is a physical contact sport (unlike supermarkets and industry) and sometimes means 20 players in a crowded penalty area. You also need more than just the players and the referee. Managers like Roy Hodgson are in the high risk category. Coaches and kitmen. Groundsmen and secretarial staff.  Red cross and security. You'll need a few.

It may be wiser to wait a little longer and scrunch the curve completely, aiming for what they've done in NZ and Australia, rather than risking it now.

The economy is in a parlous state. To say the least. I get that. But a second wave would completely destroy it. 

I don't mean anything like 12 months, but perhaps look at where we are say in mid-June rather than starting in mid May. 

But everyone's guess is as good as mine.

I haven't kept up to date with what other countries are planning. I know they want to start the Bundesliga asap but what are other places doing. Spain? Italy? France?

Football wise, Germany are looking at mid-May restart, still deciding on a date atm. France is cancelled until September, it took them by surprise but they do say that the French don't have the same love for football as the likes of us and Italy. Spain and Italy are looking at restarting in June.

1 hour ago, Emile said:

But if all players are tested there should be 0% chance of catching after a match with another team who have all been tested right? Or that means the tests aren't accurate enough. 

Nothing to do with the accuracy of the tests - more the purpose of the tests.

A test doesn't mean you won't get the virus just that you haven't got it at at the time of the test. That's my point - a player could still catch it from friends, family, shopping after the test and then pass it on.

The test only says that at the instance of the test the player is negative. He could still catch it seconds, minutes, days afterwards... if he then gets the symptoms and he's been in team training or a match scenario then everyone who's been in contact could also get it and have to self isolate.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

Rob I take your point about the testing but this is going to be the same for all of us. Companies and the country cannot afford another 12 months of this so we are all going to need to work. The general population aren't going to get tests to start work so nor should footballers. Most work is a team game where people work together. Not allowing crowds into matches is sensible but I don't see a reason for not playing online. We are all going to have to accept a degree of risk for at least the next 12 months in mosts walks of life. Staff at Tesco have to accept this already. I think its important footballers don't face a greater risk than someone in a factory or supermarket or building site. That's not quite the same as there being no risk. There would be postponed matches due to quarantines but the actual cost of postponements would be a lot less than currently as you only need the 4 officials and camera crew in attendance. 

I don't entirely agree. You or me going to work doesn't put a strain on already strained emergency services. But for football to take place even behind closed doors still means an ambulance crew in case of injury and potentially police to keep the public away. None of those things happen at normal workplaces.

If the presence of police and ambulances strains the emergency services and is not essential (i.e. there's no essential product or service produced by football unlike some other jobs) then should it continue or just continue being suspended?

It baffles me that people think we’ll just drop back into the groove and continue our playoff push. In reality the lack of match practice and fitness will mean form goes out the window. The standard of football from all teams is likely to be dull just like preseason and in my opinion just isn’t worth the risk to players, officials, staff and emergency services. Inevitably some fans won’t be able to stay away from venues, creating further problems.

Clubs and leagues should concentrate their efforts on putting necessary procedures in place to ensure next season takes place safely, instead of a rushed car-crash finish to this season.

Everyone makes valid points and from the posts made one can see a scenario for re-starting the season in June and an equally valid scenario for forgetting this season and concentrate on the start of next season.

I side on the let's get back to business when it's deemed the time is "right" as the risk from the virus and other stuff will never be zero.

VS's point about the players wouldn't be ready bought back to mind the number of times I've been at Vale Park and thought, "Have this lot seen each other before",. Respect to JA in that I never thought that in the 19/20 season.

3 hours ago, robf said:

I don't entirely agree. You or me going to work doesn't put a strain on already strained emergency services. But for football to take place even behind closed doors still means an ambulance crew in case of injury and potentially police to keep the public away. None of those things happen at normal workplaces.

If the presence of police and ambulances strains the emergency services and is not essential (i.e. there's no essential product or service produced by football unlike some other jobs) then should it continue or just continue being suspended?

Do we have an NHS ambulance or is it still St Johns? If it is St Johns then I don't feel that is an issue. 

If the policing is significant then no it shouldn't take place. When the cases are low enough I can't see the presure on the police being that significant. They won't be dealing with City Centre nightlife issues and you would hope that there won't be many fans trying to get viewing points around the ground. It's not like fans can still go and sit on walls behind Lorne Street now. 

I don't think there is any chance this season finishes but I'm sure next season would be feasible behind closed doors. I can't imagine the lockdown lifting before the last week in May. 3 weeks minimum to get players up to speed. Just never going to happen.

17 minutes ago, JRC said:

Do we have an NHS ambulance or is it still St Johns? If it is St Johns then I don't feel that is an issue. 

If the policing is significant then no it shouldn't take place. When the cases are low enough I can't see the presure on the police being that significant. They won't be dealing with City Centre nightlife issues and you would hope that there won't be many fans trying to get viewing points around the ground. It's not like fans can still go and sit on walls behind Lorne Street now. 

I don't think there is any chance this season finishes but I'm sure next season would be feasible behind closed doors. I can't imagine the lockdown lifting before the last week in May. 3 weeks minimum to get players up to speed. Just never going to happen.

I do think it will be significant. Perhaps not so much for a club of our size but there's going to be dozens and dozens of fixtures to complete all the games. There's already been worries about Liverpool fans congregating if they are about to win the League. 

If a similar thing happened at games where other clubs are facing promotion/relegation it's going to be multiple uses of a lot of police for events that are really non-essential in the grand scheme of things. 

Not all stadiums are easily shut off from the public. They could potentially involve mass policing to keep fans away and disperse them using social distancing. Not only that but the police involved would be potentially endangering their health.

I just think that in a world where the top priority is to avoid stress on the NHS and to save lives, football is a very, very low priority and if the game's return has any issues at all then it would be far better just to call an end to the season now. 

Just now, robf said:

I do think it will be significant. Perhaps not so much for a club of our size but there's going to be dozens and dozens of fixtures to complete all the games. There's already been worries about Liverpool fans congregating if they are about to win the League. 

If a similar thing happened at games where other clubs are facing promotion/relegation it's going to be multiple uses of a lot of police for an event that is really non-essential in the grand scheme of things. 

Not all stadiums are easily shut off from the public. They could potentially involve mass policing to keep fans away and disperse them using social distancing. Not only that but the police involved would be potentially endangering their heath.

I just think that in a world where the top priority is to avoid stress on the NHS and to save lives, football is a very, very low priority and if the game's return has any issues at all then it would be far better just to call an end to the season now. 

I completely agree about this season. It should be either null and void or based on current league positions. I'm thinking August/ September. 

3 minutes ago, JRC said:

I completely agree about this season. It should be either null and void or based on current league positions. I'm thinking August/ September. 

Fair enough. I think that perhaps by then things may have calmed down enough. I think the main issue will be how clubs survive on no gate money and I think the key is the parachute payments. Split those up equally and all of a sudden clubs may have enough to survive and we have got rid of a terrible idea at the same time. 😃

1 hour ago, robf said:

Fair enough. I think that perhaps by then things may have calmed down enough. I think the main issue will be how clubs survive on no gate money and I think the key is the parachute payments. Split those up equally and all of a sudden clubs may have enough to survive and we have got rid of a terrible idea at the same time. 😃

Give me a litre of what you've drunk! Premier League TV rights next season will stay with the Premier League. We will be lucky to get the same TV money. Liverpool won't cut Mane's salary to give Vale a million 😟

5 hours ago, robf said:

Nothing to do with the accuracy of the tests - more the purpose of the tests.

A test doesn't mean you won't get the virus just that you haven't got it at at the time of the test. That's my point - a player could still catch it from friends, family, shopping after the test and then pass it on.

The test only says that at the instance of the test the player is negative. He could still catch it seconds, minutes, days afterwards... if he then gets the symptoms and he's been in team training or a match scenario then everyone who's been in contact could also get it and have to self isolate.

test before each match. It can be done in 3 hours. Your tested, you wait three hours for the results. If your clear you can join up with the team and play. Nobody would be allowed into the stadium without an all clear. Therefore nobody will catch it.

Done before every match to determine your Matchday Squad. It's far from ideal but it's possible.

31 minutes ago, Emile said:

test before each match. It can be done in 3 hours. Your tested, you wait three hours for the results. If your clear you can join up with the team and play. Nobody would be allowed into the stadium without an all clear. Therefore nobody will catch it.

Done before every match to determine your Matchday Squad. It's far from ideal but it's possible.

The test gives a false negative for up to 14 days from infection so that wouldn't necessarily work. If they develop a test which doesn't give false negatives then it would.

Archived