onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

13 hours ago, Frank Mustard said:

As for the current season resuming, it may well do but it won’t be this side of Christmas.

I can't see it happening ths year either. 

The country is surely going to be taken out of lockdown gradually, in phases and in order of priority and there are more important things than football ahead in the queue. 

There's not just the danger to players and coaches but there's the demand on the emergency services which would have to attend the games taking them away from other important duties.

I just think in the grand scheme of things, the return of sport is nowhere near a priority right now.

Advert

This is when Wetherspoons pubs could reopen in North Staffordshire

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/wetherspoons-pubs-could-reopen-north-4091452#ICID=Android_StokeSentinelNewApp_AppShare

If Spoons are opening next month then surely behind closed doors football can be held in the summer?

I think the likelihood is though that the EFL will just end the season as is and the 20 Premier League teams will give it a go behind closed doors. Obviously a much easier task to get one league's games finished then four leagues.

It is a shame though as we've heard all about this 'out of the box' thinking and yet I think it's looking more likely that clubs are just going to end up knocking it on the head and looking to go for business as usual in September. Nothing really changed, no improvements made. I do wonder what will happen if only behind closed door games are possible next season.

I'm still optimistic this season can be completed by middle-end of August or soon thereafter behind closed doors with the start of next season starting behind closed doors and remaining so until it's safer..

The key is frequent testing for the virus, players tested frequently and maintain social distancing off the pitch, those that test positive don't play or train just as if a player is injured.

Contracts of out of contract and loan players can be negotiated/worked out for eventualities.

At least the season's outcome would be decided by football, 2 games a week for 5 weeks should get it done.

EFL could negotiate with iFollow so fans can watch on line, monies apportioned sensibly with major EFL involvement. Start new season ca 2-4 weeks after  2019/20 season finished. The EFL must have monies saved for a rainy day to help out and this is a rainy day.

It is useful for perspective to reflect on the changes likely to occur as a result of the pandemic. 
My organisation has 4300 employees worldwide and now 4200 are working at home and still achieving targets. Replicated everywhere in other businesses. Queue mass office closures. Queue demise of city centres. Queue much smaller car market and less public transport needed.
Masses of aircraft parked up. Even when allowed to fly the business people are working from home and happy with Microsoft Teams / Zoom meetings etc. The holiday makers won't be going abroad anywhere near as much. Queue airlines permanently closed down and so too airports. Queue restructuring of the airline manufacturing industry including Airbus and Rolls Royce. 
And so it goes on. Football hasn't got special needs different from all the above changes / challenges across the economy.
Good post. Following on from on those possible scenarios, there could be a brilliant boost to reducing pollution and the impact of climate change. This is desperately and urgently needed.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/wetherspoons-pubs-could-reopen-north-4091452#ICID=Android_StokeSentinelNewApp_AppShare
If Spoons are opening next month then surely behind closed doors football can be held in the summer?
I think the likelihood is though that the EFL will just end the season as is and the 20 Premier League teams will give it a go behind closed doors. Obviously a much easier task to get one league's games finished then four leagues.
It is a shame though as we've heard all about this 'out of the box' thinking and yet I think it's looking more likely that clubs are just going to end up knocking it on the head and looking to go for business as usual in September. Nothing really changed, no improvements made. I do wonder what will happen if only behind closed door games are possible next season.
I'd be gobsmacked if pubs are allowed to open any time soon, no matter what the plonker who owns Wetherspoons thinks.

29 minutes ago, The French Connection said:
9 hours ago, Wrex said:

I'd be gobsmacked if pubs are allowed to open any time soon, no matter what the plonker who owns Wetherspoons thinks.

I mean it is obvious that even modest drinking relaxes behaviour in even sensible drinkers and makes 'social distancing transgressions' much more likely. I guess it might be possible to reopen if they are accepting much reduced capacity and acting as restaurants in a few months time. They do have the capacity to order drinks on the mobile phone app which alleviates the bar scramble risk I guess. Still I am dubious.

13 hours ago, Wrex said:

The EFL needs to grow a set of balls and stop waiting for the Prem while it dithers over money. There's clubs going to go to the wall needlessly when they could have already made a decision

To be fair Tim Martin had a point that most Spoons are huge so they are actually able to operate with social distancing, whereas that wouldn't be possible/profitable for small pubs that need to pack punters in to make money

Martin can open as many pubs as he wants but I won't be going anywhere near one for quite some time. 

An indoor, confined space with a large number of people present is the worst place in the world to be at the moment.

Sure, you can space folk out. But everyone will be wearing a mask (almost certainly). The glasses are dirty at the best of times. Sharing the toilets? If you are 2 metres away from 3-4 mates how on earth can you communicate without shouting. There'll be other people in the room as well remember.

I sympathise with pub owners. No-one enjoys a drink more than me. Nor mixing with my friends and talking and laughing.

But if you've got any sense I really would avoid these places (like the plague). They will be the last places I'll be going to - sadly.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Martin can open as many pubs as he wants but I won't be going anywhere near one for quite some time. 

An indoor, confined space with a large number of people present is the worst place in the world to be at the moment.

Sure, you can space folk out. But everyone will be wearing a mask (almost certainly). The glasses are dirty at the best of times. Sharing the toilets? If you are 2 metres away from 3-4 mates how on earth can you communicate without shouting. There'll be other people in the room as well remember.

I sympathise with pub owners. No-one enjoys a drink more than me. Nor mixing with my friends and talking and laughing.

But if you've got any sense I really would avoid these places (like the plague). They will be the last places I'll be going to - sadly.

A mate of mine commented that it would be near impossible to stay 2 metres away from Sharon in The Leopard.A lack of soap and hot water may also be an issue in quite a few hostelries Sage.

Just a thought, part of my home football day is a couple of pints before before the game in tomies, can't see anything like this being possible till n/year, if we finish this season behind closed doors, and the 21/22 season being modified as a one off, say a round Robin type knock composition between Div. 1/2 teams, starting of keeping the traveling to a minimum, and then may be a cup ko with all efl teams involved, and would majority of teams supporter's still  buy there season ticket at present price to support and protect the wellbeing of their clubs, just want to get life back to normal life. There must be plenty of different options how we can safely get out of this mess, keep well keep safe and keep believing U. T. VALE 

Did anyone spot that Bristol Rovers player rep, reporting back to the team, someone recorded it and has leaked it!!  On the BBC website.  Basically it seemed to say that the feeling among the football authorities,  EFL, PL, PFA  etc is that there would not be fans inside stadiums until 2021 at the earliest.   Not really surprised, with no vaccine available, probably until ,what, mid next year?  I can see social distancing continuing for some time ( and pubs not reopening any time soon in all probability sadly).  Plus, as mentioned above, will fans return anyway and sit touching other fans in crammed seats - I don't think they will in numbers - especially with our aging fan base.

A bigger worry is, if the above does come to pass ( and this appears to be current thinking - not just a rumour),  what on earth happens to season ticket sales?  I would assume that very few tickets will be sold currently and fans will make a judgement at the end of June.  Hopefully for the Vale's sake most fans will be in a position to write off this seasons missed games ( although some understandably will not ),  But next season is becoming increasingly worrying, financially. Will 3000+ fans part with £300ish with a good chance they will be banned from a chunk of the season?

All of this assumes of course that the players will want to play at all.  ( Aguerro comment)  As someone commented , was it Rob?,  it is easy to see 1 player contacting it, squad has to isolate and it all grinds to a halt.  Sorry to be such a pessimistic bugger - must be the lockdown getting to me slowly!!

19 minutes ago, bycarspete said:

Just a thought, part of my home football day is a couple of pints before before the game in tomies, can't see anything like this being possible till n/year, if we finish this season behind closed doors, and the 21/22 season being modified as a one off, say a round Robin type knock composition between Div. 1/2 teams, starting of keeping the traveling to a minimum, and then may be a cup ko with all efl teams involved, and would majority of teams supporter's still  buy there season ticket at present price to support and protect the wellbeing of their clubs, just want to get life back to normal life. There must be plenty of different options how we can safely get out of this mess, keep well keep safe and keep believing U. T. VALE 

Jumping the gun a bit there Pete, what about the 20/21 season.😃

Lots of interesting thoughts on here.

It just can''t be done can it? The experiment is German football, so we'll need to keep on eye on that.

But I can't see that football can go ahead. All it takes, as you say, is for one single player to test positive and then everyone at said club has to isolate for 14 days. 

How is it possible?

Football locked down very soon after Arteta got it. Just that one, single event put the mockers on it all. 

We keep on hoping and wishing but there doesn't seem to be a way out of this for team sports and mass gatherings until we've got a good vaccine. Even behind closed doors. This virus is so dangerous - would anyone wish to risk their health and their families for a game of football?

What if a few numpties turned up to try and see what was happening behind closed doors? They'll find a way. You'll also need the police and the Red Cross/ambulance in attendance, as well as some backroom staff. Money talks via Sky and the rest and we can appreciate the awful financial damage it's causing to clubs at the lower level but I don't see how you can get a game on.

LS said it better than me!

(There was some wonderfully optimistic talk yesterday. Prof Bell of the Jenner Lab, Oxford, who reckoned cautiously but hopefully that a vaccine could be available Sept/Oct. Something to cling to and pray for.)

Archived