onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

8 hours ago, DistantVale said:

To be honest, I don't understand from that post what you are actually suggesting should happen,

If the season has to be suspended without further games being played the final positions should be determined on an average points for game basis adjusted for the likelihood that teams will have had harder / easier sets of fixtures to date. So I propose to do that by bringing into consideration as well the remaining games to played and how difficult those remaining fixtures were likely to have been given the league placements currently of the teams. A mathematical value can be calculated for that and then taken into consideration. The question is how that is done.

Advert

7 hours ago, PV1973 said:

If next season does start a bit later I would rather they cancel a cup like the League cup or the Checkatrade, just so that the league games can be squeezed in. 

There are contracts in place which is why clubs don't opt out. 

Just wondering whether the financial hardship many clubs are in may work in Vale's favor in terms of us being able to sign Jake Taylor and possibly Mitch Clarke on a permanent basis. I would have thought Championship clubs like Forest would be looking to off load some players, perhaps not so much Prem Clubs but it's always assuming Vale have the funds to take advantage.

If the season has to be suspended without further games being played the final positions should be determined on an average points for game basis adjusted for the likelihood that teams will have had harder / easier sets of fixtures to date. So I propose to do that by bringing into consideration as well the remaining games to played and how difficult those remaining fixtures were likely to have been given the league placements currently of the teams. A mathematical value can be calculated for that and then taken into consideration. The question is how that is done.
So if you are 3 points clear at the top but still have to play the other 8 teams in the top 9 you would finish below the team in second who still have to play the bottom 8 and you?

2 hours ago, wotsyobeef said:
16 hours ago, Warren said:

So if you are 3 points clear at the top but still have to play the other 8 teams in the top 9 you would finish below the team in second who still have to play the bottom 8 and you?

It depends on the outcome of the calculation. I am tempted to do the analysis for the whole division but I spend all week doing accounting and audit and I can't find the willpower on Sunday. But With the power of Excel it wouldn't be very hard. The time consuming bit is to analyse the remaining fixtures. A lot of clubs have taken them down so it requires some digging to find a complete list.

32 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Head to Heads already played for top 8 could be another option.Average points totals.No need to play any more games.

Eg. Vale Pl. 11 Points 21 .Average points 1.91.

Eg. Crewe Pl. 9  Points 6 .Average points 0.67.

😂

4 hours ago, wotsyobeef said:
17 hours ago, Warren said:

It's nonsense, how do you and who decides what is an easier or difficult game  ? We have beat Swindon , Crewe and Plymouth, but only got 1 point against Macclesfield  , does that make Macclesfield an easy game or a difficult game ? Warren please explain ?? 

I think the season needs to be cancelled and we start preparing for when we can get the next one underway. Games behind closed doors sounds like a good idea but if/when Liverpool win the league do you think their fans will just sit on the settee and say well done chaps? No, there will be thousands of them at the ground celebrating and spreading. Same for the other leagues just on a lesser scale. Just write it off now. 

Of course no one knows what's going to happen or how long this lockdown is going to last. However, I was thinking (and it hurt) the other day, that if this season is scrapped and /or completed at the end of the year, leaving us with just January to May for next season, what about splitting the EFL leagues into northern and southern e g League 2 North with 12 clubs and only 22 games to play before May 2021?? How promotions/relegations etc would be resolved will have to be thought about. Then hopefully, a full season could start in August 2021.

Stay safe and well everyone! UTV

8 hours ago, DistantVale said:

It's nonsense, how do you and who decides what is an easier or difficult game  ? We have beat Swindon , Crewe and Plymouth, but only got 1 point against Macclesfield  , does that make Macclesfield an easy game or a difficult game ? Warren please explain ?? 

Yes it does statistically make Macclesfield an easier game. 

The mini league idea with only the teams in promotion positions eligible etc. ignores the rights of the other teams in the league to complete games and earn as much income as possible. So on its own that is ethically wrong. The clubs will lose advertising income, sponsorship and potential TV income if they don't get to play at all. I know this ignores the issue that playing a game in lock down may lose money for some clubs and I have no information of the financial circumstances of different clubs and where break even points might be. 

Archived