onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

Just seen an article in the Sentinel quoting a fan who wants a ST refund if games are played behind closed doors. In view of the bigger picture, ie the health and economic crisis hitting individuals and businesses, coupled with the fantastic value that ST holders have had already this season,  I’d be amazed if this is a widely held view.

Advert

On 18/04/2020 at 18:32, Brian said:

Just seen an article in the Sentinel quoting a fan who wants a ST refund if games are played behind closed doors. In view of the bigger picture, ie the health and economic crisis hitting individuals and businesses, coupled with the fantastic value that ST holders have had already this season,  I’d be amazed if this is a widely held view.

Made a post about this possibility on the season ticket thread and lo and behold Dave Lownds didn't disappoint my view. 

Liverpool are refunding season tickets proportionately in 2019/20 that are not used and have stopped the booking system for 2020/21. I get that as it is circa £50 a game at Anfield, but I don't expect Vale to do that. Actually, even someone like Spurs could go to the wall in this crisis without Stadium income and attendances, with massive stadium debt, so even other PL clubs may struggle with refunds. But fans who are tighter financially than I am will see things differently and it could be important to get the money back.

1 minute ago, Warren said:

Liverpool are refunding season tickets proportionately in 2019/20 that are not used and have stopped the booking system for 2020/21. I get that as it is circa £50 a game at Anfield, but I don't expect Vale to do that. Actually, even someone like Spurs could go to the wall in this crisis without Stadium income and attendances, with massive stadium debt, so even other PL clubs may struggle with refunds. But fans who are tighter financially than I am will see things differently and it could be important to get the money back.

Spurs apparently recently managed to negotiate their stadium debt on favourable terms. They apparently are putting a price tag of £200 million on Harry Kane and their chairman is a tight/shrewd businessman. If the go bust then that's because the entire Premier League and Football League collapsed in a way that even the most pessimistic individual wouldn't imagine.

But certainly yes, even Premier League clubs could find themselves in big trouble if we couldn't end up at least playing next season behind closed doors and in front of the TV cameras.

On 18/04/2020 at 18:32, Brian said:

whilst this is true there may be some fans hard up for cash themselves who might welcome the £50 or so that they are owed

5 hours ago, Wrex said:

Spurs apparently recently managed to negotiate their stadium debt on favourable terms. They apparently are putting a price tag of £200 million on Harry Kane and their chairman is a tight/shrewd businessman. If the go bust then that's because the entire Premier League and Football League collapsed in a way that even the most pessimistic individual wouldn't imagine.

But certainly yes, even Premier League clubs could find themselves in big trouble if we couldn't end up at least playing next season behind closed doors and in front of the TV cameras.

I was coming to terms with the behind closed doors perspective. But President Sturgeon has pointed out the risk of gatherings it causes, even if not visible. So the family come round to watch Liverpool together and have a beer etc. I am coming to the view that we may be looking at 2021 before football or any sport gets going again. I generally acknowledged that pubs and restaurants will be the last businesses allowed to reopen and sports stadiums are a very close relation by incorporating those features and types of gathering.

2 hours ago, Warren said:

I was coming to terms with the behind closed doors perspective. But President Sturgeon has pointed out the risk of gatherings it causes, even if not visible. So the family come round to watch Liverpool together and have a beer etc. I am coming to the view that we may be looking at 2021 before football or any sport gets going again. I generally acknowledged that pubs and restaurants will be the last businesses allowed to reopen and sports stadiums are a very close relation by incorporating those features and types of gathering.

No way will we be in a lockdown situation where a few family members are not permitted to gather in living rooms to watch television for the rest of the year.

The concern with sports gatherings are obvious, thousands of people all together. The concern that with crowds banned but with pubs open thousands will gather round boozers and sports bars to watch the big screens and have a pint are also well founded, but pubs are currently closed. And the worry that some idiots will gather outside stadiums or throw street parties for title wins are genuine.

But saying we can't show things on TV that are too entertaining because people might go to each other's house to watch it? Sorry but that's lunacy. We're not living in the 1950s. 99% of people own a TV. If they choose to go to a friend's house to watch a TV then they'll go to a friend's house to share a beer, take drugs or have an orgy. You can't legislate for people like that.

Following a meeting yesterday the EFL plan to start the new season on September 6th but the struggle to finish the current one is uncertain after a top League Two club warned they would have to go into administration if it continues.The club want the season to end now and the feeling around other club boardrooms is that a majority now need the games to be cancelled due to the cost?

Playing games behind closed doors and extra costs to hundreds of players who are out of contract on June 30th will be too much for some clubs.

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

Following a meeting yesterday the EFL plan to start the new season on September 6th but the struggle to finish the current one is uncertain after a top League Two club warned they would have to go into administration if it continues.The club want the season to end now and the feeling around other club boardrooms is that a majority now need the games to be cancelled due to the cost?

Playing games behind closed doors and extra costs to hundreds of players who are out of contract on June 30th will be too much for some clubs.

I wonder what is the definition meant by ' top ' league 2 club.

I'd say Plymouth and Bradford by a country mile.

If it is the League table then it suggests Swindon, Crewe or Plymouth could go into administration.

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

The Scottish Football League clubs were desperate for their season to finish for the same reason.

I think my solution of promoting the top two/three of each division and excusing the final relegation place makes sense in this scenario.

59 minutes ago, Wrex said:

The Scottish Football League clubs were desperate for their season to finish for the same reason.

I think my solution of promoting the top two/three of each division and excusing the final relegation place makes sense in this scenario.

59 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Spot on ! Points per game should be the solution as that takes away the problem of some teams not having played the same games .      

35 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Not sure if its been mentioned anywhere on here that Vale have revealed they have furloughed players and staff - Sentinel link

Had to be done. If the next season starts in September that means that in the best case scenario the club have no matchday income for a six month period.

Archived