onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

[Updated] Football suspended indefinitely

robf

There is no way they'd scrap this season and void the results. It is a very brave man who'd make that call and, for example, take away Liverpools imminent winning of the league. There'd be fcūking murder. The bookies would have to return many, many millions of pounds of stakes they may not actually have as liquid cash. There'd be legal battles over final placings because they affect competition qualification and prize money. There's too much money in the game especially in the greed league  to allow that disruption to happen. 
What seems most sensible to me is ride this out, start playing again once well over the peak, possibly initially behind closed doors, finish the season in the late summer. Postpone the Euros till next year. Have a shorter but still reasonable pre-season and then kick off again in late September/October/November depending on how bad this initial delay was. Finish EFL 2020/2021 in June/July, no winter break in the greed league so they finish well before and are rested for the delayed Euros. Repeat, finishing 21/22 in May. Stagger it back to normal slowly over time. 

I agree with this but there is one major problem , most players contracts finish in June so playing in July would be difficult

Advert

29 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:

The latest seems to suggest no relegation from Prem but top 2 in championship will go up. No other leagues would change. Talk about the rich looking after themselves !!!!!

I can’t see that happening, increase the prem by 2 clubs meaning an extra 4 games when they’re already moaning about the amount of games they play.

Decrease the championship by 2 teams, there would be anarchy.

4 minutes ago, vale victory said:

I agree with this but there is one major problem , most players contracts finish in June so playing in July would be difficult

Do the contracts end in June because that happens to be the end of the season, or are they contracted for the season. I don’t know.

No promotion ,relegation,FA Cup or European issues have been resolved yet.Even Liverpool are not officially Champions.Two options for me.The league is scrapped or to continue the league with a cut off date ,June/July,for recommencement.Next season ,a September start.No winter break.I think the Euros won’t happen.

1 hour ago, sheffield61 said:

There's no way season will restart early April.....

We're Apparently four weeks from GETTING this virus the SAME as Italy has now and that's MID April!!

Damned if we do damned if we don't, panic button as been pressed, can't see any football being played until May, 

45 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I can’t see that happening, increase the prem by 2 clubs meaning an extra 4 games when they’re already moaning about the amount of games they play.

Decrease the championship by 2 teams, there would be anarchy.

Yeah a 22 team Championship would mean the terrorists have won.

But seriously, seems an odd solution. Norwich and Villa couldn't have much complaint being relegated, just send them down, I'm sure they wouldn't mind lol

Until Uefa meet I feel that all the speculation is what it is. Depends on the paper/source or twitter  account you read. There is no latest apart from the facts.

1 hour ago, ollyandpatch said:

The latest seems to suggest no relegation from Prem but top 2 in championship will go up. No other leagues would change. Talk about the rich looking after themselves !!!!!

1 hour ago, Howjy04 said:

No promotion ,relegation,FA Cup or European issues have been resolved yet.Even Liverpool are not officially Champions.Two options for me.The league is scrapped or to continue the league with a cut off date ,June/July,for recommencement.Next season ,a September start.No winter break.I think the Euros won’t happen.

Li only has 23 teams, promote 1 from L2, then as a consequence 1 from The National League even if all competitions are cancelled. Would Bolton have points deducted in the new season as their previous punishment had been wiped out?

7 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

With all the major events cancelled I’m very surprised that the Midlands Grand National hasn’t been cancelled today. 13,000 expected for that one.

Most of them will probably have been at Cheltenham aswell.

Archived