cheshirevaliant

Bennett to stockport?

3 minutes ago, TheSage said:

The way things are looking (virus permitting) we could have both Stockport and Notts County competing for a league place very soon. Just like old times! Barrow too of course. But I guess there aren't many on here who have been to Holker Street (I think that was their ground).

Absolutely cracking chippie close to the ground, i seem to recall. Northern pies at their best!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TheSage said:

The way things are looking (virus permitting) we could have both Stockport and Notts County competing for a league place very soon. Just like old times! Barrow too of course. But I guess there aren't many on here who have been to Holker Street (I think that was their ground).

I have...its at then end of nowhere 

I think if Barrow get back they will be on yearly survival duty like Morecambe. Notts County traditionally have a support basis to sustain League 1 football. Stockport County are a difficult one to judge where they are support wise. Funny place, still has a big station with mandatory requirements that trains stop there, but in fact the station is nearly unstaffed. And Stockport is like that as a place, a big metropolitan authority in Greater Manchester, but no character about it. Still they have been as high as the Championship in the past. My worst fear is getting a club like Boreham Wood. A long way away and no support base, somehow playing above the level they should be at. I am desperate for the season to play out so Stevenage get relegated, that is second only to Leeds United on my dislike list.

38 minutes ago, Warren said:

I think if Barrow get back they will be on yearly survival duty like Morecambe. Notts County traditionally have a support basis to sustain League 1 football. Stockport County are a difficult one to judge where they are support wise. Funny place, still has a big station with mandatory requirements that trains stop there, but in fact the station is nearly unstaffed. And Stockport is like that as a place, a big metropolitan authority in Greater Manchester, but no character about it. Still they have been as high as the Championship in the past. My worst fear is getting a club like Boreham Wood. A long way away and no support base, somehow playing above the level they should be at. I am desperate for the season to play out so Stevenage get relegated, that is second only to Leeds United on my dislike list.

I suppose if Borehamwood came up I could combine an away match with a visit to my sister at Rickmansworth, not far away........

I used to live near Hereford so miss my visits to Edgar Street but I can't see United ever getting back into the League. They've fallen on very hard times. Those were the days of Dixie McNeil, Price, Harvey and Phillips, when they could pull in crowds of 6-7000. 

Kidderminster is also dead easy to get to, which is why we could have done with Solihull coming up last year, quite apart from them having Ryan Boote in goal.

Probably my favourite ground is the Recreation Ground in Aldershot, a bit ramshackle and dated though it surely still is. A long way to travel though.

• Like 1

Anyway, back to Bennett. I think he was a hard trier, but he was playing at the max of his ability at League 2 level. Control not good enough and needed too many chances per goal. He should do well for Stockport at that level, but if we are to progress we need to use our other technically better forwards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13/03/2020 at 11:31, Walka003 said:

Salford have just flogged Adam Rooney to Solihull, some serious money in non league these days

Can't see him getting 5k a week at Solihull?

Salford now within financial fair play. May not be able to carry excessive wages. Solihull, another club coming from nowhere to prominence and must have some ownership backing to do so? 

9 hours ago, Warren said:

Stockport County are a difficult one to judge where they are support wise. Funny place, still has a big station with mandatory requirements that trains stop there, but in fact the station is nearly unstaffed. And Stockport is like that as a place, a big metropolitan authority in Greater Manchester, but no character about it. 

I believe Stockers are getting in 5k these days. But having had the misfortune to live there for a few years, you are right. The place is a pointless hole.

There are very few ‘bad’ areas on Greater Manchester these days, particularly compared to Stoke.

Stockport has some decent bits, it’s getting a bit of investment in the old town and it’s even got one of them food markets like what they have in Altrincham.

14 hours ago, toyahw said:

I believe Stockers are getting in 5k these days. But having had the misfortune to live there for a few years, you are right. The place is a pointless hole.

Here’s one thing that I never understood about Stockport.

There’s a pub near the ground called The Sir Robert Peel, but the founder of the modern police force was born in Bury !

Any learned OVF contributor know why this may be so ? Has he any connection with Stockport ?

Sorry to go off on a tangent ( again) but this is something that has always bugged me ! 

18 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Here’s one thing that I never understood about Stockport.

There’s a pub near the ground called The Sir Robert Peel, but the founder of the modern police force was born in Bury !

Any learned OVF contributor know why this may be so ? Has he any connection with Stockport ?

Sorry to go off on a tangent ( again) but this is something that has always bugged me ! 

Off a quick search, it appears that there are at least 15-20 pubs with this name throughout the country (including Bury), strange.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Santa said:

There are very few ‘bad’ areas 

Edgely not scary? Reddich? . It's just a boring crap hole. But a lot of good stuff came out of Strawberry Studios.

I just found  it a dull tedious place to live. Compared to Chorlton. And the scariest place I ever lived.

Edited by toyahw

19 hours ago, toyahw said:

. Compared to Chorlton. And the scariest place I ever lived.

Not as scary as the Bury new Road area, Strangeways. Its like the wild west with its own laws and courts. Shops with shutters down  full of fake gear, fake ciggies and doormen controlling who goes in. A vile place.

On 15/03/2020 at 11:51, DistantVale said:

I have...its at then end of nowhere 

re Barrow - I think it was 1967 or 68 when we last played them and I certainly remember getting off the M6 and then crawling for what seemed like a million miles !   I have been to the Barrow area twice since and the roads are so so much better it doesn't seem like a trek into the unknown anymore. Workington Town was far worse to get to than Barrow but you don't hear of Workington anymore so no nostalgia trip there anytime soon.

On 17/03/2020 at 11:50, jimbo57 said:

Not as scary as the Bury new Road area, Strangeways. Its like the wild west with its own laws and courts. Shops with shutters down  full of fake gear, fake ciggies and doormen controlling who goes in. A vile place.

Fair point.  

Edited by toyahw

On 14/03/2020 at 22:23, PV1973 said:

And didn’t they used to involve the team finishing 4th bottom playing teams from the division below?

Used to happen years ago, until the Lardies  resorted to type 🙂 

For the first few years, there was no automatic promotion to the First Division. Instead, the top few teams in Division Two, including the winners, contested a series of test matches against the bottom teams in Division One. Small Heath, Second Division champions in 1892–93, were denied promotion after losing in test matches to Newton Heath. However, runners-up Sheffield United beat Accrington to become the first team to win promotion to the First Division. Test matches were abolished in 1898 after Burnley and Stoke conspired to deliberately draw their test match 0–0, which resulted in Burnley being promoted and Stoke being saved from relegation.

22 hours ago, ginginator said:

Test matches were abolished in 1898 after Burnley and Stoke conspired to deliberately draw their test match 0–0, which resulted in Burnley being promoted and Stoke being saved from relegation.

Something similar happened some years ago involving Stoke and Bolton denying Vale automatic promotion didn't it?