onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bennett to stockport?

cheshirevaliant

1 hour ago, DistantVale said:

No the play offs proceeded the Premier League , just followed the idea from Rugby League to have more teams to have something to play for at the end of the season !  

And didn’t they used to involve the team finishing 4th bottom playing teams from the division below?

Advert

The way things are looking (virus permitting) we could have both Stockport and Notts County competing for a league place very soon. Just like old times! Barrow too of course. But I guess there aren't many on here who have been to Holker Street (I think that was their ground).

3 minutes ago, TheSage said:

The way things are looking (virus permitting) we could have both Stockport and Notts County competing for a league place very soon. Just like old times! Barrow too of course. But I guess there aren't many on here who have been to Holker Street (I think that was their ground).

Absolutely cracking chippie close to the ground, i seem to recall. Northern pies at their best!

33 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I have...its at then end of nowhere 

I think if Barrow get back they will be on yearly survival duty like Morecambe. Notts County traditionally have a support basis to sustain League 1 football. Stockport County are a difficult one to judge where they are support wise. Funny place, still has a big station with mandatory requirements that trains stop there, but in fact the station is nearly unstaffed. And Stockport is like that as a place, a big metropolitan authority in Greater Manchester, but no character about it. Still they have been as high as the Championship in the past. My worst fear is getting a club like Boreham Wood. A long way away and no support base, somehow playing above the level they should be at. I am desperate for the season to play out so Stevenage get relegated, that is second only to Leeds United on my dislike list.

38 minutes ago, Warren said:

I think if Barrow get back they will be on yearly survival duty like Morecambe. Notts County traditionally have a support basis to sustain League 1 football. Stockport County are a difficult one to judge where they are support wise. Funny place, still has a big station with mandatory requirements that trains stop there, but in fact the station is nearly unstaffed. And Stockport is like that as a place, a big metropolitan authority in Greater Manchester, but no character about it. Still they have been as high as the Championship in the past. My worst fear is getting a club like Boreham Wood. A long way away and no support base, somehow playing above the level they should be at. I am desperate for the season to play out so Stevenage get relegated, that is second only to Leeds United on my dislike list.

I suppose if Borehamwood came up I could combine an away match with a visit to my sister at Rickmansworth, not far away........

I used to live near Hereford so miss my visits to Edgar Street but I can't see United ever getting back into the League. They've fallen on very hard times. Those were the days of Dixie McNeil, Price, Harvey and Phillips, when they could pull in crowds of 6-7000. 

Kidderminster is also dead easy to get to, which is why we could have done with Solihull coming up last year, quite apart from them having Ryan Boote in goal.

Probably my favourite ground is the Recreation Ground in Aldershot, a bit ramshackle and dated though it surely still is. A long way to travel though.

Anyway, back to Bennett. I think he was a hard trier, but he was playing at the max of his ability at League 2 level. Control not good enough and needed too many chances per goal. He should do well for Stockport at that level, but if we are to progress we need to use our other technically better forwards.

9 hours ago, Warren said:

Stockport County are a difficult one to judge where they are support wise. Funny place, still has a big station with mandatory requirements that trains stop there, but in fact the station is nearly unstaffed. And Stockport is like that as a place, a big metropolitan authority in Greater Manchester, but no character about it. 

I believe Stockers are getting in 5k these days. But having had the misfortune to live there for a few years, you are right. The place is a pointless hole.

There are very few ‘bad’ areas on Greater Manchester these days, particularly compared to Stoke.

Stockport has some decent bits, it’s getting a bit of investment in the old town and it’s even got one of them food markets like what they have in Altrincham.

Archived