onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bennett to stockport?

cheshirevaliant

I didn't mind him. But he's nowhere near good enough for a side wanting out of League Two. But surely waiting until the end of the season to let him go would have made more sense unless we got a decent bit of money for him which I don't assume would be the case?

He seemed to be a decent bloke and did score a few goals here and there for us so good luck to the fella.

Advert

19 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I think Jacko has hit the nail on the head, he's got a two year deal, probably good enough for the squad and is 28 so we aren't talking about a player who has potential. Maybe Askey thinks he's made a mistake giving him two years and would have released, this makes this decision an easy one.

I quiet liked Ritchie and wish him well, but he would have been 30 by time his contract ended.

But Pope is nearly 36 when his contract expires ? 

Initial reaction; confused due to the timing.

Dig a bit deeper, and it probably makes sense.

Stockport have obviously decided to go for it and needed a Mancunian, proven at National League level, to be willing to up sticks mid-season, drop a division, and fire them over the line. They were willing to pay a fee to secure this. This is helped by the Gannon-Bennett connection.

From the Vale's perspective, you had a third-choice striker, never going to be good enough to be a consistent starter, who is 29, and had another year on his contract. To be offered a fee for him, after signing him on a free, and to offload his wages for next season is an opportunity we wouldn't receive again; the fee-paying is probably a result of County's desperation to get in the playoffs, and we've taken advantage of it.

Obviously a big chance for Archer, who didn't impress in his loan spell, to get some minutes under his belt; its undoubted he's got some modicum of ability, but is it enough?

In terms of Richie; I've never had any issues with him. He's worked hard, appears to be a good character, and his performance vs FGR kick-started the season and his brace vs Exeter set us off on this good run which has us grasping at the playoffs. Should we end up securing top 7, Richie definitely had a decent part to play in it. A goal every 295 minutes isn't great, but not atrocious either. Hope he does well.

Really hope this doesn't backfire; Pope could get banned any day, Cullen struggled with injuries at the start of the season, Archer is a real unknown. If Pope/Cullen see us through, its a good bit of business, but there is definitely risk involved. Trust Askey and Carol to get it right, though.

38 minutes ago, Woakesy said:

As an aside, good to see Stockport challenging for the play offs (just outside on GD).

Need more proper clubs like Stockport County, Hartlepool and Notts County in league and less of the likes of Salford and Stevenage.

Stockport are 5 points adrift of the playoff places and have played a game more.

7 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Yeah, but who's going to come in and offer money for a 34 year old with a pending long ban for anti-semitism?

At least the opportunity was there to cash in on Richie.

I wouldn't say cash in mate. Be gobsmacked if more than 15 grand. It will be a nominal fee . Not even publicised which in my mind it should be.

I wouldn't say cash in mate. Be gobsmacked if more than 15 grand. It will be a nominal fee . Not even publicised which in my mind it should be.
But instead of paying wages for another year when Askey doesn't fancy him, we've been paid a fee, however nominal it is. If he's on 1k a week we've just saved the best part of 60k, plus his fee, I'd say that's as good as large transfer fee...

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

The unofficial Vale Twitter account reckons it’s £20k. Probably sounds about right.

Does anyone know if Archer is fully fit and currently training? I hope he is, or it will Monty as back up striker! 

4 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

The unofficial Vale Twitter account reckons it’s £20k. Probably sounds about right.

Does anyone know if Archer is fully fit and currently training? I hope he is, or it will Monty as back up striker! 

Plus wages saving till end of season / over summer will double this number.

Short term would have preferred him in the squad for the rest of the season, but where he has not stood out consistently as Popey’s long term replacement  then an understandable decision in the medium term planning of the club

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

Thank you for your opinion, like I’ve said I like to hear others POV and don’t knock them. It was nothing to do with who he was replacing. His effort at closing down defenders was excellent but for me that was his whole game. I read the Carlisle fans website and what they questioned was his ability to be a league player and I had to agree with them, that he wasn’t. With his  physical attributes he should have been a twenty plus goal scorer a season and he was never going to be that. I feel sorry for all the PVFC fans that admired him and continually used to slate me for my opinion on him, reminding me that he was our top scorer.

Always love the 20  goal plus comment.  Despite the myth Pope has only done this once in his career,.  

As a goals threat little between them nowadays, but agree Bennett is not the long term solution.  Would have preferred to keep him for the run in, but sure the deal makes good financial sense.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

And he's scored 100 more goals than Bennett ever will!

i was merely saying age isn't the issue. I'm sure Legge and Pope will still be on the books next season . The person was suggesting as though 30 is over the hill when his contract ran out.

Archived