Jump to content
Regal Beagle

The Budget

Recommended Posts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51835306

 

Can anyone explain this? I was led to believe that we had a FAR RIGHT government yet the most diverse cabinet of all time has basically ploughed a load of money into the NHS and come up with some employment policies which even Jeremy Corbyn has commended.

 

This can't have been what tory voters voted for? Maybe we should have a general election?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51835306

 

Can anyone explain this? I was led to believe that we had a FAR RIGHT government yet the most diverse cabinet of all time has basically ploughed a load of money into the NHS and come up with some employment policies which even Jeremy Corbyn has commended.

 

This can't have been what tory voters voted for? Maybe we should have a general election?

Good to see that Jezza has been listened to, shame it is 10 years late.

Mind you Hitler started like this didn`t he?

Edited by bycars rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tory supporters on here blathered on during the election about how Labour would overspend and get us into trouble by borrowing too much money.  Looks like Boris and Co don't agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

Good to see that Jezza has been listened to, shame it is 10 years late.

Mind you Hitler started like this didn`t he?

Mussolini preferred trains, Hitler autobahns, both ideal for moving tanks/panzers about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51835306

 

Can anyone explain this? I was led to believe that we had a FAR RIGHT government yet the most diverse cabinet of all time has basically ploughed a load of money into the NHS and come up with some employment policies which even Jeremy Corbyn has commended.

 

This can't have been what tory voters voted for? Maybe we should have a general election?

Let's turn it on it's head, if this budget had come from a Labour Party RB would have exploded on here. We need to wait and see, they have borrowed big style for this. Also Johnson has said the initial period out of the EU will be tricky, hold on to your hats!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Mussolini preferred trains, Hitler autobahns, both ideal for moving tanks/panzers about.

the 7th Panzer Div. didn't need autobahns when they won the 1940 Tour de France...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

the 7th Panzer Div. didn't need autobahns when they won the 1940 Tour de France...

You seem to forget in some of your Brexit rhetoric, the war ended in 1945 perhaps no one told you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coronavirus has meant a budget increase or would people over a certain age prefer to have less protection.I can’t remember Coronavirus being an issue during the GE..Labour were smashed in December,which I  predicted.They were destroyed yesterday.Brilliant performance by Rishi Sunak.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

Let's turn it on it's head, if this budget had come from a Labour Party RB would have exploded on here. We need to wait and see, they have borrowed big style for this. Also Johnson has said the initial period out of the EU will be tricky, hold on to your hats!!

This budget wouldn't have come from a labour party (at least a labour party anywhere close to the current one). They'd have stuck a few more zeros on everything, they'd have insulated my house twice, given me free internet, an extra large pension, paid off my student debt and  stuck a cherry on the top.

 

Believe it or not, I'm closer to the centre than even the moderate right and these circumstances are exactly why. This budget is exceptional in exceptional global circumstances. Real people have real fears about paying their mortgages, we genuinely do not know what is going to happen work wise in the next couple of months. This budget I feel has gone some way to address that. I actually feel as though the Government as a whole should have been a bit more proactive over Coronavirus, and they let themselves down a bit over the floodings.

 

They're not immune to criticism, but I am certain (and thankful) that they're significantly better than the opposition.

 

I have a real question for you - All of the working class people who voted tory, how do you feel they are seeing the Government so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

I have a real question for you - All of the working class people who voted tory, how do you feel they are seeing the Government so far?

Brexit moved foreward...... the rest still juggling smoke at the moment.... money pledged and promises made don't  always become reality.... it's still a let's see what happens situation, after 3+ years of stagnation and avoidance and 3 months of chaos, confusion and contagion it's not surprising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

This budget wouldn't have come from a labour party (at least a labour party anywhere close to the current one). They'd have stuck a few more zeros on everything, they'd have insulated my house twice, given me free internet, an extra large pension, paid off my student debt and  stuck a cherry on the top.

 

Believe it or not, I'm closer to the centre than even the moderate right and these circumstances are exactly why. This budget is exceptional in exceptional global circumstances. Real people have real fears about paying their mortgages, we genuinely do not know what is going to happen work wise in the next couple of months. This budget I feel has gone some way to address that. I actually feel as though the Government as a whole should have been a bit more proactive over Coronavirus, and they let themselves down a bit over the floodings.

 

They're not immune to criticism, but I am certain (and thankful) that they're significantly better than the opposition.

 

I have a real question for you - All of the working class people who voted tory, how do you feel they are seeing the Government so far?

Far to early to comment RB. Only time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was listening to the news this morning and it was raised that the one area that wasn't mentioned in the budget was financial support for the care workers and sector. While all the support for companies (sick pay, tax relief  etc) is fair enough (and I believe going to be supported cross-party) there is a very real question that care workers are potentially going to be in the frontline for several months now (e.g. care homes and the elderly housebound are going to be high risk) and there are no measures in place for them to receive extra funding and resources.

I wonder if the government will look at addressing this? I'm not making a party political point by the way, I think tackling Coronavirus should be something we do apolitically but to me it does seem that a vital (and in my personal view "amazing") group of people were forgotten about yesterday.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

You seem to forget in some of your Brexit rhetoric, the war ended in 1945 perhaps no one told you.

Only the dead, have seen the end of war...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Chancellor was on 5 Live this morning and came across as a teenager on steroids waffling about a subject he had yet failed to grasp. An appalling interview.

Some of us have been telling you for years that austerity was stupid and the way to get the economy moving was through investment not strangulation. I'm please to see the government have finally acknowledged that basic fact of economics and taken a leaf out of Labour's book, though after ten years of running down services and widespread austerity they have a very long way to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robf said:

I was listening to the news this morning and it was raised that the one area that wasn't mentioned in the budget was financial support for the care workers and sector. While all the support for companies (sick pay, tax relief  etc) is fair enough (and I believe going to be supported cross-party) there is a very real question that care workers are potentially going to be in the frontline for several months now (e.g. care homes and the elderly housebound are going to be high risk) and there are no measures in place for them to receive extra funding and resources.

I wonder if the government will look at addressing this? I'm not making a party political point by the way, I think tackling Coronavirus should be something we do apolitically but to me it does seem that a vital (and in my personal view "amazing") group of people were forgotten about yesterday.

Good points Rob, I definitely agree that this is above politics. I would hope that they have something planned for care workers. Their job is really tough as it is and they would deserve all the support that they can get.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, TheSage said:

The Chancellor was on 5 Live this morning and came across as a teenager on steroids waffling about a subject he had yet failed to grasp. An appalling interview.

Some of us have been telling you for years that austerity was stupid and the way to get the economy moving was through investment not strangulation. I'm please to see the government have finally acknowledged that basic fact of economics and taken a leaf out of Labour's book, though after ten years of running down services and widespread austerity they have a very long way to go.

 

You have to see Sage that this is not about stimulating the economy? This is about dealing with the potentially diastrous threat that is coronavirus?

I think the budget generally went down extremely well and I've not seen anyone criticising Sunak to the level you have. He's being tipped as a future PM already.

 

They're honestly not taking a leaf out of labours book - Labour just got historically trounced about 12 weeks ago. Why would anyone take anything out of a book about abject failure?

 

I know we look at different sides of the coin on most issues, I would suggest that had labour been in power for the past 10 years we would be in a far worse place to combat the virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did I miss the investment in adult social care in the budget?  Didn't the PM say he had a plan for this?  When is the government green paper on it, due in 2017 and postponed 6 times so far, going to be published?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy