Fosse69

Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Port Vale

No doubt we are solid and would be 2nd in the form league for the last 10 games and 5th for the last 6. Couldn't go yesterday just seen the highlights. Shocking pen decision and tbh I'm sure Pope would have scored Cullen's chances and should perhaps have scored his diving header? 2 pts gone, 2 last week - too many examples of this, however, we are still in there. We are a unit and if Cullen and Pope start firing I think we may just squeeze in the play offs. If not that is where we will fall down this term. Must wins v Crawley and Bradford but how many times have we been here and shot ourselves in the foot. Get down to VP and shout the boys home!

Edited by pete vale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vital Spark said:

It wasn’t criticism, it was an observation and an opinion you moron.

Look at the goal difference column and you’ll understand my concerns.

It's between Colchester, Nothampton and us for 2 places. I'd agree we are probably least likely to get in there BUT we are definitely serious contenders. Bradford still stand an outside shot as well, although I think there chances will be over if they lose to us.

Can't see Oyeleke having any impact sadly, he looks way off the pace. He has the quality we need but thare is not enough time to bring him up to speed. The other Midfield guys are running their bo..ocks off in all fairness!

6 minutes ago, JRC said:

It's between Colchester, Nothampton and us for 2 places. I'd agree we are probably least likely to get in there BUT we are definitely serious contenders. Bradford still stand an outside shot as well, although I think there chances will be over if they lose to us.

Don’t rule out a late surge from sky sports fc (Salford) 

Nowt worse than dropping a pint let one two!!!!!

Gutted not to win yesterday another 2 pints dropped. Would take a good point before the game at a form team but when you play well and are on top you have to put teams away. If we don't address that in the run in we could miss out.
Joyce and was outstanding. Probably his best game in a Vale shirt for me.
I just wish the league would sort out the officials. How can the referee take advise on a decision he made standing 6-8 yards away from a linesman who was at the other end of the pitch?
We have put ourselves under pressure now must win back to back home games. This could be the defining moment of the season.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brown 6 nowt do 

Gibbons 8 

Smith 8were any of there forwards playing if so you wouldn’t have thought so 

Legge 8 

Clark 8 love his positivity 

Worrall 7 would have liked see him get more of the ball 

Conlon 8 his best performance for Vale 

Joyce 9 controlled everything tremendous 

Burgess 8 

Amoo 7 put one straight on Cullens head shot wide and overall did a good job 

Cullen 8 two headers one off the bar held the ball up well in my opinion deserved a goal 

Pope 7 and Browne 7 should have been a 8 each if only that header went in which it should have 

UTV 

Can't believe people are writing Bradford off. They aren't playing well and have gone 12 aways without a win ( guess who's next ) but they are definitely not out of the mix . 

Ultimately it's down to us but despite it being a good point we have got to start winning and quickly 

1 hour ago, JRC said:

For some time now he's been our best player until half-time. Yesterday he lasted the full 90 minutes. Highlights the problems Oyeleke will face if he is to play a meaningful part in the run-in.

I never thought I’d say this but I wouldn’t worry too much about Oyeleke. He doesn’t appear to be fit enough at present.  At the moment he’s behind Joyce, Burgess and Conlon, plus Taylor, if fit.  If he was fit then it’d be a different matter of course, but barring injury or suspension, the midfield is playing well enough to remain unchanged.

Taylor is the interesting one.  Can he get back in the team and hit the ground running?

2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

My first reaction was that it looked a foul all the way from my position, plus Leon’s reaction suggested he knew himself that he was in a bit of mither.  Haven’t seen a replay  so can’t comment other than that.

Legge looked like he completely mistimed the challenge. I think the ref didn’t book him because of where it was and the challenge looked clumsy rather than nasty. 

6 hours ago, Vital Spark said:

It wasn’t criticism, it was an observation and an opinion you moron.

Look at the goal difference column and you’ll understand my concerns.

Newport were in the playoffs with 0 goal difference last season. Exeter with +10 the season before. Maybe your GD concern is misplaced. 

Newport were in the playoffs with 0 goal difference last season. Exeter with +10 the season before. Maybe your GD concern is misplaced. 

Possibly so, but with the points looking like being so close the GD may cost us.

6 hours ago, MBE said:

Gutted not to win yesterday another 2 pints dropped. Would take a good point before the game at a form team but when you play well and are on top you have to put teams away. If we don't address that in the run in we could miss out.

Joyce and was outstanding. Probably his best game in a Vale shirt for me.

I just wish the league would sort out the officials. How can the referee take advise on a decision he made standing 6-8 yards away from a linesman who was at the other end of the pitch?

We have put ourselves under pressure now must win back to back home games. This could be the defining moment of the season.

Watching a different game from me, bar Amoo I thought Joyce was our worst player, he must have given the ball away needlessly at least 7 or 8 times, Conlon came in to his rescue a number of times. For me, Clarke and Smith were the 2 players who shone the most yesterday.

43 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Watching a different game from me, bar Amoo I thought Joyce was our worst player, he must have given the ball away needlessly at least 7 or 8 times, Conlon came in to his rescue a number of times. For me, Clarke and Smith were the 2 players who shone the most yesterday.

Clearly although I agree with you about Clarke. Amoo definitely had an off day.

6 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Show me a player that doesn’t give the ball away. It’s an impossibility for a player to go a game without misplacing passes or making a bad decision. It’s the same at every level of football.  I thought joyce and Conlon kept us ticking over in the middle and controlled it. Amoo didn’t look interested at times, the amount of times a ball was clipped over their full back or when we looked to play that ball he just wasn’t interested in spinning them to take advantage of how high a line they were playing. You can gauge how positive Amoo is going to be when he starts going backwards to Gibbo and then not making a move for a return ball from him. 

• Like 1

I always find it interesting to see how the opposition set up against us and anyone who was at the fa cup game last year at Cheltenham will testify that we really struggled to get to grips with Ruben Reid when he dropped off our centre halves, all their play went through him. Luckily he went off injured that day. But on Saturday they didnt play that way, they put Reid out on Gibbo, and instead of hitting him all the time they seemed to be using him as a decoy in order to switch it and get behind us in the left back area. I thought they had a lot of joy in doing that in the first half and got quite a few crosses in. Second half they hardly troubled us and in addition to that I thought their tactics meant Reid was ineffectual as Gibbo and Legge dealt with him well when balls did come into the box.

Afterwards i read their managers assessment of the game, he mentioned that during the match his side had stopped doing what they had been working on in the week. Which made me think that their game plan all along was to try and get behind us in that left back spot and get crosses in to the box,  eventually we got to grips with it to stop it ourselves. But we’ve seen that time and again this season with teams targeting the space behind Crookes or Monty when they’ve played there. For me we have to keep Clarke there from now on. 

Edited by PV1973