Fosse69

Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Port Vale

Absolutely terrible referee who gave us nothing all game, yet seemed happy to keep punishing Vale with niggly free kicks everywhere.

Regardless of who was to blame etc.. we still aren’t creative enough to be serious playoff contenders. Did their keeper have anything to do apart from that tame header from Cullen? We have plenty of effort throughout the team, but still lack quality to punish teams when it matters.

Why can a substitute who is warming up get booked for not wearing a vest, but Amoo was allowed to walk half way around the perimeter of the pitch after being subbed? Another stupid rule they didn’t think through.

Absolutely terrible referee who gave us nothing all game, yet seemed happy to keep punishing Vale with niggly free kicks everywhere.

Regardless of who was to blame etc.. we still aren’t creative enough to be serious playoff contenders. Did their keeper have anything to do apart from that tame header from Cullen? We have plenty of effort throughout the team, but still lack quality to punish teams when it matters.

Why can a substitute who is warming up get booked for not wearing a vest, but Amoo was allowed to walk half way around the perimeter of the pitch after being subbed? Another stupid rule they didn’t think through.

We aren’t serious play off contenders? Have you not seen the table. The mind genuinely boggles.

And also have you seen where Cheltenham are? They created even less than us so what does that make them?

Very stupid criticism by you in my opinion.
  • Like 6

We aren’t serious play off contenders? Have you not seen the table. The mind genuinely boggles.

And also have you seen where Cheltenham are? They created even less than us so what does that make them?

It wasn’t criticism, it was an observation and an opinion you moron.

Look at the goal difference column and you’ll understand my concerns.

We were the better team yesterday, Brown didn’t make a save and bar some atrocious officiating we would have beaten a team who had just won 4 on the bounce pushing for automatic promotion. I would say we are very serious play off contenders.

• Like 2

The referee did OK until the first penalty decision late in the first half, it seemed to undermine him and he went to pot after that. I was sat right in front of where the incident happened and although I’d like to see it again, it looked a stone wall penalty, the ref had no hesitation in giving it. When the linesman signalled from 50 yards away I thought he’d given offside, could not believe he had over ruled the ref who was 15 feet away from the incident, one of the most bizarre officiating I have ever seen. 

I don’t think the second incident when Conlon went down was a penalty, I think he just got the ball first, saying that Conlon was tugged back just outside the box, the ref played on correctly but should have gone back to the foul after no advantage was gained.

For me Clark and Conlon were outstanding yesterday. Clark's ability to control a run at the opposing defenders is magical viewing. 

A testament to our defence too as Brown did not have one save to make all game.

Enough has been said about the officials- they were totally abysmal. However it was NOT a penalty in the 1st half. the criticism I would have there is that the ref was close to hand and gave an immediate penalty. for him to ask his linesman, standing over 30 yards away with an interrupted view across the pitch was insane. How on earth could that seriously lacking in any concept of what was happening all match official see better than the ref?

We would all have accepted a draw before kick off and actually , as their manager and their forum pointed out, we were by miles the better team and should have got 3 points. We are in touch and keeping a run going, with obvious camaraderie amongst our squad. We'll get there!

The only negative, for me, was the performance of Amoo. He was frankly shocking! When Brown came on at least he showed how we could get at them by attempting to beat the defender!

It wasn’t criticism, it was an observation and an opinion you moron.

Look at the goal difference column and you’ll understand my concerns.

A quick observation of the table shows we are very serious contenders.

2 hours ago, Vital Spark said:

They have the best defensive record in the division by a long way. They've conceded 27; the next lowest is 37. They've conceded 10 less than the next lowest in the entire league. That's outstanding.

We hit the bar, Cullen probably should have scored his header, watching it back Pope's diving header miss is a sitter, and Burgess should have hit the target in the last minute.

This is away, at the best defensive side in the league by a long way, who were on a 5 game winning streak, and we had 3, possibly 4, good chances.

Yesterday was the first time we failed to score in 8 (last time was away at Swindon), and only the 3rd time in 17 (Crawley at home).

Our issues are not creativity, it defending; we've conceded the second most in the top 11.

Simply can't agree with you mate.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There seems to be a trend developing that Conlon is becoming a major influence on the way we play.

14 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

You mean the one where he made a great tackle and put the ball out for a throw in?  It wasn’t even a foul. 

That ref hasn’t done a game for 12 months. It will be a huge benefit to the game in general if he doesn’t do another one for 12 months. He was clearly unfit, couldn’t keep up with play and had a vivid imagination. 

My first reaction was that it looked a foul all the way from my position, plus Leon’s reaction suggested he knew himself that he was in a bit of mither.  Haven’t seen a replay  so can’t comment other than that.

Edited by Guitar Ray
Edut

Joyce won't be banned as he's past the 37 game cut off, says the Sentinel.
Does this apply to Legge as well?

3 minutes ago, SFBT said:

There seems to be a trend developing that Conlon is becoming a major influence on the way we play.

Conlon is a good player at this level. No question about that. He’s skilful, can pass a ball and has good energy, so fits perfectly with the style of play John has implemented.

Yesterday must be one of his best games in a Vale shirt so far.  He did everything well, bar score.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jacob_123 said:

Yes agree, think we are creating plenty of chances but not taking them, unfortunately games are won and lost on chances taken on the day, let's keep believing, forward together 

25 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Conlon's been excellent in every game he's played in since his return to the side.

Proper all-rounder.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Joe B said:

They have the best defensive record in the division by a long way. They've conceded 27; the next lowest is 37. They've conceded 10 less than the next lowest in the entire league. That's outstanding.

We hit the bar, Cullen probably should have scored his header, watching it back Pope's diving header miss is a sitter, and Burgess should have hit the target in the last minute.

This is away, at the best defensive side in the league by a long way, who were on a 5 game winning streak, and we had 3, possibly 4, good chances.

Yesterday was the first time we failed to score in 8 (last time was away at Swindon), and only the 3rd time in 17 (Crawley at home).

Our issues are not creativity, it defending; we've conceded the second most in the top 11.

Simply can't agree with you mate.

We haven’t played Crawley at home yet.

Gutted not to win yesterday another 2 pints dropped. Would take a good point before the game at a form team but when you play well and are on top you have to put teams away. If we don't address that in the run in we could miss out.

Joyce and was outstanding. Probably his best game in a Vale shirt for me.

I just wish the league would sort out the officials. How can the referee take advise on a decision he made standing 6-8 yards away from a linesman who was at the other end of the pitch?

We have put ourselves under pressure now must win back to back home games. This could be the defining moment of the season.

Edited by MBE

I would have happily taken a point before the game yesterday, the fact that we didn’t win was nothing of our doing, but 2 shocking decisions from the match officials.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SFBT said:

For some time now he's been our best player until half-time. Yesterday he lasted the full 90 minutes. Highlights the problems Oyeleke will face if he is to play a meaningful part in the run-in.