onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

The first penalty incident is shocking. I wasn't there today so I don't  know if it was a foul or not but neither does a linesman who's at least thirty yards from the incident. There is no possible way he is in a position to be certain if there was a foul or not. He can only make a best guess and a stronger referee would have stuck with his original decision.

Once heard Danny Baker say on Radio 5 that refs come in two categories: incompetent and bent. At the time, thought it was a bit harsh but since then, especially after incidents like today, I think he may well have a point. By all accounts, today's performance was a complete disgrace.

Where do they get them from?

RANT ABOUT OFFICIALS POST

Will start by saying I am usually defensive of referees; I think they by and large do a reasonable job under difficult circumstances. Very rarely do I criticise them viruntly post-match and will commend a decent ref when I see them. I thought the 'Trevor Kettle' meltdown on here a few weeks back was a tad over the top when the major decisions were largely correct.

Today's unit of officials were, by far, the most incompetent assortment of clowns I've witnessed at a game of professional football this season. From minute 1, it was clear the ref was struggling to set boundaries; blowing up for minor niggles and refusing to let the game flow, despite it clearly being a 'frenetic' game of two decent sides buoyed by a decent atmosphere.

The penalty decision was farcical; the referee made a decision immediately and it fell to the linesman, on the other side of the pitch, to reverse it. Around 10x further away with a goalkeeper standing at his near post in the way. However, we'll ignore that and presume it was the correct call.

The same linesman struggled all game, repeatedly missing the ball either staying in/going out. His friendly chats to the Cheltenham dugout when the ball was out of play were strange; very rarely see such intimate chats between officials and coaches.

Having seen the Ince tackle on Conlon via Doha, I am proper baffled; it looked a foul 80 yards away from the away end and looks even worse on video. A proper clumsy leg-kick with the referee having an unobstructed view from approximately 8 yards. Nothing given.

Time and time again, decisions went the wrong way; on a number of occasions I found myself confused at throw ins/fouls Vale had been given when it was clear it should have gone Cheltenham's way. Conversely, their players quickly learnt that hitting the deck under any pressure would yield a free-kick, as a consequence of the referee setting a horrendously low barrier for fouls in the opening 15 minutes.

I often find some fans hyperbolic or over-reactionary when it comes to officials, obsessing over marginal calls which we're obviously biased towards. Today, however, the officials were consistently off-pace and the referee looked seriously unfit.

A shame which blighted a decent game of football, which I'll come to next.

COMMENDATION OF PORT VALE FC POST

Vale played really well today. Some lovely football and Scott Brown had nothing to do.

Gibbons, Clark, Conlon, and Burgess the stand outs. Cullen was very tidy up front and has a lovely first touch. His two headers were very close. Wingers didn't really impose themselves, which is fair on a tight pitch.

They offered little; defensively resolutely with 3 big lads at the back but inept going forward. Shocked considering the likes of Reid, Sheaf, and May in their 11. Will give them credit in that on home crowds of 3k they've assembled a very tidy squad, have a good manager, and seem well-run. I thought they created a good atmosphere and that helped the game be a reasonable spectacle.

Vale were undoubtedly the better side and to be coming out of the game disappointed at a draw, against a side with a reasonable chance of a top 3 finish, the best GD in the division, and on a 5-game winning streak, is testament to how decent of a footballing side we are.

As many have said, two home game coming in which 4 points is needed. I fully back this team to deliver this. They seem to be improving as the season goes on, with the pressing, passing, and organisation becoming more and more cohesive.

I still think we're going to be heartbroken at Home Park and fall a point or two shy, but there's no doubt about it; this is a very decent League 2 side who, should we miss out this season, need only tweaking have a good tilt at the top 3 next season.

UTV

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

two home game coming in which 4 points is needed.

I still think we're going to be heartbroken at Home Park and fall a point or two shy

I feel that 6 points from the next 2 home games is a must if we're being realistic about finishing in the play-offs. "Only" 4 points might be the difference. Need to go for it and put teams to bed.

1 minute ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

I feel that 6 points from the next 2 home games is a must if we're being realistic about finishing in the play-offs. "Only" 4 points might be the difference. Need to go for it and put teams to bed.

We do, but as others as noted, we have the most pleasant run-in of the teams chasing 6th and 7th, with Northampton, Colchester, and Bradford having to face a lot of top 7 sides.

In a weird sense I'd almost prefer us to have a tougher run-in as we play better against good sides. However, the other 3 teams in this 4-way race for 6th and 7th are undoubtedly dropping points. Crawley are bang in form since Yems took over and Bradford, whilst stumbling, are still resolute defensively.

4 points, for me, would be serviceable. Would take us to 61 points with 7 games remaining. Would need probably 10ish points from those 7 which is completely doable.

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

Legge lucky to stay on after that 2nd challenge so fair play to the ref there.

You mean the one where he made a great tackle and put the ball out for a throw in?  It wasn’t even a foul. 

That ref hasn’t done a game for 12 months. It will be a huge benefit to the game in general if he doesn’t do another one for 12 months. He was clearly unfit, couldn’t keep up with play and had a vivid imagination. 

22 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

You mean the one where he made a great tackle and put the ball out for a throw in?  It wasn’t even a foul. 

That ref hasn’t done a game for 12 months. It will be a huge benefit to the game in general if he doesn’t do another one for 12 months. He was clearly unfit, couldn’t keep up with play and had a vivid imagination. 

Why on earth has he not refereed this season? In a big promotion 6 pointer the FA decide to appoint a man who has not refereed in any official capacity since last May, and his fitness levels/decision making showed. Unable to set a reasonable level all game, influenced by player protests/any player hitting the deck, not trusting his own decision enough and deferring to a bloke 30 yards away.

Outrageous stuff. Wants reporting. That Conlon decision is a shocker.

Duncan reffed 27 Championship games last season. Today was his first game, of any capacity, of the 2019/20 season.

We got an unfit, rusty ref in an important promotion game at the back end of the season, unable to keep up with play or trust his own judgement, and making some outright, objective wrong decisions.

Bit of a joke, in all honesty.

12 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Why on earth has he not refereed this season? In a big promotion 6 pointer the FA decide to appoint a man who has not refereed in any official capacity since last May, and his fitness levels/decision making showed. Unable to set a reasonable level all game, influenced by player protests/any player hitting the deck, not trusting his own decision enough and deferring to a bloke 30 yards away.

Outrageous stuff. Wants reporting. That Conlon decision is a shocker.

In Tom Pope's interview he said neither were penalties.

Archived