Jump to content
robf

Completion of the Lorne St stand

Recommended Posts

It needs a much wider audience base than supporters represent.

If only we knew someone famouse so it could be shared with his fan base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geosname said:

It needs a much wider audience base than supporters represent.

If only we knew someone famouse so it could be shared with his fan base.

Sorry but does it? To donate to something surely you have to be a "supporter" and have a connection and interest. If, for example, it was pushed to several hundred thousand RW fans what is their incentive to pay out money for a stand at a football ground they may never visit and they have no interest in? 

For me, the crucial element will be to get the message to all the Vale fanbase and then to local businesses and the local Potteries public. It's a good start so far but it's very early days yet. I am sure there is scope for plenty of other fundraising activities above and beyond the Go Fund Me page.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least we've done better than the Swedish Jocks.

Some years ago, a local Caledonian Society in Sweden took exception to common Swedish adverts for sales that incorporated a kilted Scotsman - the implication being that the Scots were a bit tight. They announced a fighting fund to try to end the stereotype. After a few weeks it was abandoned with the fund total having reached £67...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over £6k already is a smashing start. I’m sure the supporters club are putting words in the ears of local businesses and hopefully that will see some larger donations to really get us heading toward that goal. 

Crewe raised £250k fairly quickly recently so I’m sure we can smash £100k. 

Edited by davehartshill
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, robf said:

Sorry but does it? To donate to something surely you have to be a "supporter" and have a connection and interest. If, for example, it was pushed to several hundred thousand RW fans what is their incentive to pay out money for a stand at a football ground they may never visit and they have no interest in? 

For me, the crucial element will be to get the message to all the Vale fanbase and then to local businesses and the local Potteries public. It's a good start so far but it's very early days yet. I am sure there is scope for plenty of other fundraising activities above and beyond the Go Fund Me page.

 

 

It depends on how long you are prepared to wait for the money.... how long did it take for the sproson statue?.... even then corners had to be cut to achieve it.

The wider the audience the easier the money flow..... but it was only a suggestion..... a bit like bringing a friend who gets in free with a £10 donation, which is counter productive because walk up revenue would probably decline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cheshirevaliant said:

I believe only around 20% of Crewe's target was raised by the general fanbase though, the rest was donated by wealthy local businesses/people. 

Point taken but it's still around 50K isn't it? And we do have a bigger fan base than Crewe.

Hopefully if we manage to raise even that kind of sum we may be able to get sponsorship to complete the job.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheSage said:

Point taken but it's still around 50K isn't it? And we do have a bigger fan base than Crewe.

Hopefully if we manage to raise even that kind of sum we may be able to get sponsorship to complete the job.

 

Agreed TheSage, it's still a very impressive effort from them. Just commenting that, as things stand, we aren't comparing like with like by saying Crewe fans raised £250k. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't yet donated myself but I will.
I like the idea of buckets inside the ground, I also dislike the constant sniping at Robbie to fork out yet again - I'm sure he's aware of the situation and if he chooses to donate then all well and good.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the scumbags down the road want to laugh at the initiative then who gives a monkeys, better we pull together as the vale family than be supported by a disease that cripples families, caused people to lose their jobs, homes, cars etc, causes depression and suicide. Let then keep there plastic fake ground at hanford ponds, we've got the mother town and a real family club.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, and I fully support the initiative, although I thought that there were better targets for funding like better facilities for the Bycars and Paddock.
My concern is that what we have seen so far are the contributions from the willing. If contributions start to tail off with the total at about £10k I can imagine fingers will start to be pointed and the laughter will start to be heard from the other end of the City.
What I think the organisers need to do now is to look for sponsorship for the remainder of the balance. Our fanbase just isn't large enough to sustain the progress made so far.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd tend to disagree.
Firstly, haven't the owners said that their spending priorities are for the existing stands which is why they won't be putting money aside for the LS concourse. So not only will the club work to improve the other stands but that work and improvements is guaranteed (i.e. it is not dependent on reaching a donation total). I don't think fans fundraising for the LS concourse is going to stop the club spending elsewhere on the ground.
So in effect this concourse is an optional extra.
I may have a vested interest (as I have three kids who come to games now) but I think finishing the Lorne St is a nettle that needs  to be grasped:
  • Stoke are doing loads of things to attract the younger generations to their clubs. Vale is an ageing supporterbase.
  • We need to get youngsters in and although the staff are brill, in my experience the facilities in the Bycars are not attractive to kids. I certainly think my kids "suffer" the view from low down in the Bycars rather than enjoying it.
  • If we are to attract youngsters it will help if they have a good view, good facilities etc. 
  • There's also the positive angle of a completed stadium and a completed stand (which may be more attractive) to sponsors
  • We've also had so many false dawns over this stand I think it would be a real statement to get it finally over the line.
Some people don't like the idea but i'm all for a Stadium sponsor and a completed Lorne Street could attract this. It just sinply closew a chapter in that book and will be nice to see it finally completed. 22 years is a very long time I am 36 and was still in High School when they broke ground.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the supporters club should contact The Sentinel newspaper ,independently from the football club

& ask them to do a feature on our funding appeal.We took 8000 to Man City maybe they do not all realise

what is happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
2 hours ago, robf said:
I'd tend to disagree.
Firstly, haven't the owners said that their spending priorities are for the existing stands which is why they won't be putting money aside for the LS concourse. So not only will the club work to improve the other stands but that work and improvements is guaranteed (i.e. it is not dependent on reaching a donation total). I don't think fans fundraising for the LS concourse is going to stop the club spending elsewhere on the ground.
So in effect this concourse is an optional extra.
I may have a vested interest (as I have three kids who come to games now) but I think finishing the Lorne St is a nettle that needs  to be grasped:
  • Stoke are doing loads of things to attract the younger generations to their clubs. Vale is an ageing supporterbase.
  • We need to get youngsters in and although the staff are brill, in my experience the facilities in the Bycars are not attractive to kids. I certainly think my kids "suffer" the view from low down in the Bycars rather than enjoying it.
  • If we are to attract youngsters it will help if they have a good view, good facilities etc. 
  • There's also the positive angle of a completed stadium and a completed stand (which may be more attractive) to sponsors
  • We've also had so many false dawns over this stand I think it would be a real statement to get it finally over the line.

Some people don't like the idea but i'm all for a Stadium sponsor and a completed Lorne Street could attract this. It just sinply closew a chapter in that book and will be nice to see it finally completed. 22 years is a very long time I am 36 and was still in High School when they broke ground.

I'm totally in favour of sponsorship. We've had it on stands for years and if you don't like it then you can still call them the Railway, the Bycars etc...

It's the same with stadium sponsorship for me. I bet plenty of Walsall fans call the Bank's stadium, the Bescot, but I bet the money generated by that deal helps the club.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm totally in favour of sponsorship. We've had it on stands for years and if you don't like it then you can still call them the Railway, the Bycars etc...
It's the same with stadium sponsorship for me. I bet plenty of Walsall fans call the Bank's stadium, the Bescot, but I bet the money generated by that deal helps the club.
The way I have always thought I am sure Bradford Fans still say Valley Parade. If it generates money then I am all for the blah blah Stadium at Vale Park etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£7,000 (or 7%) of the target raised. I'm sure it will slow down after the initial surge but that's still pretty darn good considering it's less than a week. That's only online donations too.

I guess it's all about maintaining momentum now. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy