onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Completion of the Lorne St stand

robf

2 hours ago, robf said:

Sorry but does it? To donate to something surely you have to be a "supporter" and have a connection and interest. If, for example, it was pushed to several hundred thousand RW fans what is their incentive to pay out money for a stand at a football ground they may never visit and they have no interest in? 

For me, the crucial element will be to get the message to all the Vale fanbase and then to local businesses and the local Potteries public. It's a good start so far but it's very early days yet. I am sure there is scope for plenty of other fundraising activities above and beyond the Go Fund Me page.

It depends on how long you are prepared to wait for the money.... how long did it take for the sproson statue?.... even then corners had to be cut to achieve it.

The wider the audience the easier the money flow..... but it was only a suggestion..... a bit like bringing a friend who gets in free with a £10 donation, which is counter productive because walk up revenue would probably decline.

Advert

12 minutes ago, cheshirevaliant said:

I believe only around 20% of Crewe's target was raised by the general fanbase though, the rest was donated by wealthy local businesses/people. 

Point taken but it's still around 50K isn't it? And we do have a bigger fan base than Crewe.

Hopefully if we manage to raise even that kind of sum we may be able to get sponsorship to complete the job.

2 hours ago, TheSage said:

Point taken but it's still around 50K isn't it? And we do have a bigger fan base than Crewe.

Hopefully if we manage to raise even that kind of sum we may be able to get sponsorship to complete the job.

Agreed TheSage, it's still a very impressive effort from them. Just commenting that, as things stand, we aren't comparing like with like by saying Crewe fans raised £250k. 

If the scumbags down the road want to laugh at the initiative then who gives a monkeys, better we pull together as the vale family than be supported by a disease that cripples families, caused people to lose their jobs, homes, cars etc, causes depression and suicide. Let then keep there plastic fake ground at hanford ponds, we've got the mother town and a real family club.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, and I fully support the initiative, although I thought that there were better targets for funding like better facilities for the Bycars and Paddock.
My concern is that what we have seen so far are the contributions from the willing. If contributions start to tail off with the total at about £10k I can imagine fingers will start to be pointed and the laughter will start to be heard from the other end of the City.
What I think the organisers need to do now is to look for sponsorship for the remainder of the balance. Our fanbase just isn't large enough to sustain the progress made so far.

On 01/03/2020 at 19:39, Heatwave said:

I don't want to be a wet blanket, and I fully support the initiative, although I thought that there were better targets for funding like better facilities for the Bycars and Paddock.

I'd tend to disagree.

Firstly, haven't the owners said that their spending priorities are for the existing stands which is why they won't be putting money aside for the LS concourse. So not only will the club work to improve the other stands but that work and improvements is guaranteed (i.e. it is not dependent on reaching a donation total). I don't think fans fundraising for the LS concourse is going to stop the club spending elsewhere on the ground.

So in effect this concourse is an optional extra.

I may have a vested interest (as I have three kids who come to games now) but I think finishing the Lorne St is a nettle that needs  to be grasped:

• Stoke are doing loads of things to attract the younger generations to their clubs. Vale is an ageing supporterbase.
  • We need to get youngsters in and although the staff are brill, in my experience the facilities in the Bycars are not attractive to kids. I certainly think my kids "suffer" the view from low down in the Bycars rather than enjoying it.
  • If we are to attract youngsters it will help if they have a good view, good facilities etc. 
  • There's also the positive angle of a completed stadium and a completed stand (which may be more attractive) to sponsors
  • We've also had so many false dawns over this stand I think it would be a real statement to get it finally over the line.

I'd tend to disagree.
Firstly, haven't the owners said that their spending priorities are for the existing stands which is why they won't be putting money aside for the LS concourse. So not only will the club work to improve the other stands but that work and improvements is guaranteed (i.e. it is not dependent on reaching a donation total). I don't think fans fundraising for the LS concourse is going to stop the club spending elsewhere on the ground.
I may have a vested interest (as I have three kids who come to games now) but I think finishing the Lorne St is a nettle that needs  to be grasped:
  • Stoke are doing loads of things to attract the younger generations to their clubs. Vale is an ageing supporterbase.
  • We need to get youngsters in and although the staff are brill, in my experience the facilities in the Bycars are not attractive to kids. I certainly think my kids "suffer" the view from low down in the Bycars rather than enjoying it.
  • If we are to attract youngsters it will help if they have a good view, good facilities etc. 
  • There's also the positive angle of a completed stadium and a completed stand (which may be more attractive) to sponsors
  • We've also had so many false dawns over this stand I think it would be a real statement to get it finally over the line.
Some people don't like the idea but i'm all for a Stadium sponsor and a completed Lorne Street could attract this. It just sinply closew a chapter in that book and will be nice to see it finally completed. 22 years is a very long time I am 36 and was still in High School when they broke ground.

1 hour ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
2 hours ago, robf said:
I'd tend to disagree.

Some people don't like the idea but i'm all for a Stadium sponsor and a completed Lorne Street could attract this. It just sinply closew a chapter in that book and will be nice to see it finally completed. 22 years is a very long time I am 36 and was still in High School when they broke ground.

I'm totally in favour of sponsorship. We've had it on stands for years and if you don't like it then you can still call them the Railway, the Bycars etc...

It's the same with stadium sponsorship for me. I bet plenty of Walsall fans call the Bank's stadium, the Bescot, but I bet the money generated by that deal helps the club.

I'm totally in favour of sponsorship. We've had it on stands for years and if you don't like it then you can still call them the Railway, the Bycars etc...
It's the same with stadium sponsorship for me. I bet plenty of Walsall fans call the Bank's stadium, the Bescot, but I bet the money generated by that deal helps the club.
The way I have always thought I am sure Bradford Fans still say Valley Parade. If it generates money then I am all for the blah blah Stadium at Vale Park etc.

£7,000 (or 7%) of the target raised. I'm sure it will slow down after the initial surge but that's still pretty darn good considering it's less than a week. That's only online donations too.

I guess it's all about maintaining momentum now. 

the supporters club are talking with the club about sorting bucket collections at the games so it will happen but not at all the matches.

last year at about this time our ex owner came out and stated if a buyer wasn't found he would put the club into administration and we would have probably got a points deduction and relegated out of the league, carol and kevin shanahan and their family came along and paid way over the amount the club was worth to save our wonderful football club from oblivion. since then the turn around in the atmosphere at the club has been unbelievable on and off the pitch. this fundraising is to help the shanahans out and for all the port vale supporters to say a massive massive THANK YOU for what they did last year, however small or big you can donate between now and august is much appreciated and it will be fantastic to see the stand finally completed and a fantasic family area to be used for many many years to come.

Archived