onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Completion of the Lorne St stand

robf

Personally, I welcome the decision of the Supporters Club to begin raising money for the Lorne Street stand concourse. I have been in touch and this website will be trying to do our bit on OVF to raise some money for them too.

There's a report from the Sentinel here - https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/its-been-22-years-port-3895955

I'm one of those who thinks the new part should be a family stand. We need to encourage the next generation and having been in the Bycars with my kids I would say that it's not the greatest experience (although I have to say all the stewards and staff are great with the children). I think it's important that youngsters get a decent view, decent facilities, a concourse the club can use for half-time events and so on...

For me, I would welcome the second half of the Lorne St as a family stand and would hope that perhaps with the support for safe standing that the Bycars could eventually become a safe standing home end. 

Hopefully, there will be further messages on here about fund raising activities to help with the concourse costs.

Advert

Interesting and happy this is going forward now. I agree its been a long time. I remember being an excited teenager over the stand now I am 36 nearly 37 and it has been a long time. Would be nice to finally see a completed stadium. On the front of the Bycars, now that safe standing has become attractive I would also love to see it converted to safe standing. Would freshen the stand up and breath new life into the stand.  

Good to hear that the consensus is for fans to donate towards completion of the Lorne Street stand, if they so desire. No guns at heads, simply a gesture from any fans wanting to contribute. In my mind it seems that if we can assist the Club in this direction, then any monies the Club have can concentrate on other issues. Nowt wrong with that in my mind.

I am in favour of willing fans paying whatever they can into a fund(s) thus releasing any other larger organisations to contribute in other ways to assist Vale.

Might be an idea too to research suitable names for the "new" stand. 

1 hour ago, robf said:

Personally, I welcome the decision of the Supporters Club to begin raising money for the Lorne Street stand concourse. I have been in touch and this website will be trying to do our bit on OVF to raise some money for them too.

There's a report from the Sentinel here - https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/its-been-22-years-port-3895955

I'm one of those who thinks the new part should be a family stand. We need to encourage the next generation and having been in the Bycars with my kids I would say that it's not the greatest experience (although I have to say all the stewards and staff are great with the children). I think it's important that youngsters get a decent view, decent facilities, a concourse the club can use for half-time events and so on...

For me, I would welcome the second half of the Lorne St as a family stand and would hope that perhaps with the support for safe standing that the Bycars could eventually become a safe standing home end. 

Hopefully, there will be further messages on here about fund raising activities to help with the concourse costs.

totally agree with the completion theory, but should be achieved by good sponsorship. the supporters could add the little extras to complete the job.agree with the plan for the bycars, would bring back the old atmosphere sadly lacking at times today.

8 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Maybe we could have donation buckets in the club shop, Tommies, Valiant suite etc for those not comfortable with donating on line.

I'm sure there will be but I'm actually looking at it in the opposite way.

There will almost certainly be a load of donation efforts by the Supporters Club for those in the area. 

However, OVF has a fairly big contingent of exiles (including myself) so if I can offer an online facility for those that can't easily get to Burslem it may help while those who live locally will also have the options of donating in person.

34 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:

Not sure whether when the Lorne street has been funded fans could look towards this too. But one step at a time obviously. 

Absolutely. I'd love some element of safe standing and to me bringing back a standing home end would be great. I think it would reinvigorate the Bycars. But if were a choice between spending money on safe standing or on something like a crucial new signing, I think it would always be the latter. 

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Maybe we could have donation buckets in the club shop, Tommies, Valiant suite etc for those not comfortable with donating on line.

Yes ever a available avenue of ways to donate should be made available, may be even ticket office /shop could except donations 

Obviously I 100 percent agree whats on the pitch is a priority the rest will all fall into place.

Absolutely. I'd love some element of safe standing and to me bringing back a standing home end would be great. I think it would reinvigorate the Bycars. But if were a choice between spending money on safe standing or on something like a crucial new signing, I think it would always be the latter. 

I do wonder if the Bycars as a structure would meet the strict requirements for safe standing, at least without serious investment. 

It only has one exit, through the old turnstiles which are tight and hard to get through. Rail seats are the only approved means at this time and that isn’t cheap. 

The concrete blocks for those are very shallow and ultimately I do not see how it could be achieved to meet safe standing requirements without serious physical changes or a new stand. 

Family stand in new Lorne Street area seems barking mad considering it will be the area closest to away fans and most likely an area of conflict. 

Like the idea, find it hard to believe the execution is the best. 

13 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I do wonder if the Bycars as a structure would meet the strict requirements for safe standing, at least without serious investment. 

It only has one exit, through the old turnstiles which are tight and hard to get through. Rail seats are the only approved means at this time and that isn’t cheap. 

The concrete blocks for those are very shallow and ultimately I do not see how it could be achieved to meet safe standing requirements without serious physical changes or a new stand. 

Family stand in new Lorne Street area seems barking mad considering it will be the area closest to away fans and most likely an area of conflict. 

Like the idea, find it hard to believe the execution is the best. 

On the contrary, many clubs (including our dear neighbours) use or have used a 'family area' as a buffer between home and away support. Man City used to reserve the block nearest to the away section for students only (sold through the Student Unions) for example. It's a popular policy.

Archived