onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

fantasy promotion

geoff1

Advert

because there is a cost to getting promoted just as there is a cost to being relegated. in fact one would imagine the promoted team would need a helping hand more so than the relegated team. £20m for getting relegated seems a little extreme!

because there is a cost to getting promoted just as there is a cost to being relegated. in fact one would imagine the promoted team would need a helping hand more so than the relegated team. £20m for getting relegated seems a little extreme!
Ok I'll bite - what obligatory increased costs are there to a promoted club within the league structure?

The parachute payment clearly has a reason, viz the vast difference in tv income between the prem and the championship. If it wasn't for the parachute payment most relegated clubs would be bankrupt within 18 months.

"The parachute payment clearly has a reason, viz the vast difference in tv income between the prem and the championship. If it wasn't for the parachute payment most relegated clubs would be bankrupt within 18 months."      (philmpv)

...presumably if they put suitable and adequate 'pay cut' clauses (in the event of relegation) in their players' contracts, bankruptcy would be very unlikely. I can only presume that this is rare because the players they want to sign/keep would not sign if the clubs did this.

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

Ok I'll bite - what obligatory increased costs are there to a promoted club within the league structure?

The parachute payment clearly has a reason, viz the vast difference in tv income between the prem and the championship. If it wasn't for the parachute payment most relegated clubs would be bankrupt within 18 months.

I can see that side of the argument but for me the parachute payment encourages overspending because clubs know there is an "insurance" policy if they fail. If it wasn't there I think clubs would adapt (i.e. more relegation release clauses). For me, the huge parachute payments have made the Championship the most financially crazy division (lots of reports say clubs are gambling way above their means for the chance of a PL place) and are making the gaps between divisions wider.

There's a lot a great manager can do but even the very best managers are going to struggle when the next club has a £30m advantage over them. Arguably Yeovil are where they are because they got into the Championship, decided to spend above their means to be competitive, got relegated and then it spiralled into multiple relegations.

So for me, I am totally against parachute payments and the financial gaps they create. In my view those tens of millions dished out to a handful of clubs each season would be better spent spread out among all the lower league clubs.

An interesting thing that came out a few years ago when details of the budget were leaked, was that a very substantial part of the clubs funding (almost half from memory) comes as a payment from the EFL. This is the same for all teams, regardless of finishing position or anything. This partially explains why, despite our relatively decent attendances for L2 we do not necessarily have a significantly higher budget. Simply put the money from ticket sales is only a part of the income, a significant part is the same for all teams regardless of attendance.

For 2017 the EFL payment (basic plus Prem solidarity payment) for L2 was 902k. For L1 it was 1322k. So if we were to get promoted, the flat payment from the EFL, a significant part of the budget, does at least increase substantially. 

INCREASED PLAYERS WAGES/INCREASED SECURITY/GROUND IMPROVEMENTS/TRAVEL COSTS/GROUND SAFETY/BETTER PITCH/ BETTER FACILITIES FOR SUPPORTERS/BETTER TICKETING SYSTEM OH AND YES BETTER TEABAGS!! 

Increased wages - not obligatory

Increased security - on what basis?

Ground improvement - on what basis?

Travel costs - what?!

Ground safety - on what basis?

Better pitch - what?!

Better facilities for supporters - not obligatory

Better ticketing system - not obligatory

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

Increased wages - not obligatory

Increased security - on what basis?

Ground improvement - on what basis?

Travel costs - what?!

Ground safety - on what basis?

Better pitch - what?!

Better facilities for supporters - not obligatory

Better ticketing system - not obligatory

you wouldnt want better players then?/bigger crowds-more security?/an extre bog?ERRRR/OVERNIGHT STAYS PRE MATCH?/again presumeably we would get bigger crowds-more away support?/I don't know about you but I believe the pitch has not been replaced since 1950=(///we don't let the grass grow under our feet!)/you may wish to watch your football in the pee in the railway toilets most people don't!/what a load of c--p -come into the 21c pal better communication with customers /media/and ticketing. that's it im fed up now-good banter 

we know that teams dropping down a division (such as the lardies) get a parachute payment. do teams going up a division get anything? 
We got nothing in the 2013 fir finishing 3rd and you definitely don't get any help when your relegated it's a complete joke. You think you get promoted out of league 1 into the championship you get nothing your up against maybe upto a dozen team getting parachute payments of around 90 million over 3 years unless they go back up its crazy

I had a look at this and found a section which says Clubs do not receive any Prize money for winning League 2. Each League Two Club reportedly receives £472000 regardless of what position they finish. I would imagine there are other payments linked into that Fair Play etc.

56 minutes ago, stevedurber said:

I had a look at this and found a section which says Clubs do not receive any Prize money for winning League 2. Each League Two Club reportedly receives £472000 regardless of what position they finish. I would imagine there are other payments linked into that Fair Play etc.

that answers the question! redistribution of wealth campaign

Archived