Coronavirus

robf

1 hour ago, bycars rob said:

We are all looking at Germany with jealousy and it shows what a difference good government can make.  They are in a good poition to remove a lot of the lockdown restrictions and Merkel has negociated with all 16 states a clause that should the virus spread again a lockdown will be re-applied. Their testing and tracing from the beginning has been done logically and they are now confident they know enough of where the virus is to reopen safely.

In contrast we haven`t yet hit the governments own target of 100,000 people tested in a day(tests posted out hurriedly don`t count for me).  

How can any business plan to re-open if they don`t know until Sunday what the plan (if any) is for the following day?

This government have got little right in this crisis being too slow to react and organise in the early stages and now it looks like being too hasty and unprepared to lift the lockdown. No wonder we have one of the worst death tallies in the world and yet Boris proclaims it a success, then again there are tales of people hallucinating in intensive care with this. 

I stopped being jealous of the Germans when I discovered what they'd done to my Voltswagen?

• Like 1

Advert:

23 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

I see the government have decided to take advantage of the crisis to start privatising the nhs now. That is why Deloitte are doing the testing and probably why it is apparently a shambles with GP`s not being informed of the results.

Hi Rob,

Would you like to be more like Germany? If so, around a 1/3rd of the healthcare system is private.

If not, on what evidence do you conclude that this is the fault of the Government only and not because of our healthcare infrastructure?

26 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

TT,with our NHS never overwhelmed do you think some countries may learn from us?

Intensive Care seemed to cope, by closing down most of the NHS services. Lessons on  distribution of protective clothing  we need  from  other countries. 

45 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

The little Englanders are out in force this morning.

This phrase always amazes me. It sums up the logic of the people who use it.

Brexit voters want to be international. Remain voters want to be a federal state of the EU. Remain voters tell us we're too small to get decent trade deals and we can't possibly compete with the EU.

I don't know where little Englanders has come from but I do know that the direct opposite is true.

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

Ironic that we are looking at other governments with envy and yet just a few months ago some of you were adamant that we were better off without them holding us back.

I think you are conflating Germany and the EU.

Not sure if anyone has praised the EU in this thread, surprisingly. Also, not sure any one has claimed that the German Government itself is "holding us back".

Advert:

On 05/05/2020 at 18:53, Wrex said:

Without mass testing we'll never know the true figure.

We'll never know the true figure either when death rates are being put down to Covid,even when people haven't necessarily been infected and many of them haven't even been tested.

3 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

This phrase always amazes me. It sums up the logic of the people who use it.

Brexit voters want to be international. Remain voters want to be a federal state of the EU. Remain voters tell us we're too small to get decent trade deals and we can't possibly compete with the EU.

I don't know where little Englanders has come from but I do know that the direct opposite is true.

I think you are conflating Germany and the EU.

Not sure if anyone has praised the EU in this thread, surprisingly. Also, not sure any one has claimed that the German Government itself is "holding us back".

Has he used "far right" lately?

It's the Tory crew on here who have stated, I am only interested in England not GB. I am not interested in Germany. Them comments are so narrow minded. One of the disappointments of this pandemic is the lack of cross country assistance by all countries. Finally with the disastrous leadership in this crisis do you still trust him to negotiate trade deals.

39 minutes ago, geosname said:

How are bet365 doing again mate 😂

Still been trading mate.The vast majority of staff have been working from home.My wife is the call centre manager at night .There’s about half a dozen workers with her at night instead of hundreds.They were taking temperatures weeks ago just to clarify.😂

Advert:

2 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

With Sturgeon (as always) wanting to do things her way I’d give the English stats only.

Doesn’t really matter. TBF I don’t agree with Sturgeons politics but she has come across well during this crisis.

1 hour ago, Howjy04 said:

Have Germany stopped testing now? The 2.5 million figure has been on the worldometer stats site for weeks.

Good way to fiddle the figures as they only count deaths that have been tested. Trust me, it is a lot worse in Germany than people may think. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Health Care structure was destroyed in the 2010s by Osbourne`. 

No, it’s a system that has deteriorated for the last 40 years under every government that needed restructuring decades ago but every government is too scared to change a ‘national treasure ‘!. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

It's the Tory crew on here who have stated, I am only interested in England not GB. I am not interested in Germany. Them comments are so narrow minded. One of the disappointments of this pandemic is the lack of cross country assistance by all countries. Finally with the disastrous leadership in this crisis do you still trust him to negotiate trade deals.

Agree, it’s been everyone for themselves, people praising the Germans, but they didn’t offer help to others, the French banning any exports early doors. So much for the EU helping all within their membership, that soon went out the window. And tell me, exactly how many ventilators have they managed to purchase? Also, PPE, they state on their website they had guaranteed an order of thousands tonnes of PPE and was being delivered in 2 weeks back at the end of March but I cannot see anything confirming this was delivered, issues out and of the quality needed.

• Like 1

Advert:

22 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Agree, it’s been everyone for themselves, people praising the Germans, but they didn’t offer help to others, the French banning any exports early doors. So much for the EU helping all within their membership, that soon went out the window. And tell me, exactly how many ventilators have they managed to purchase? Also, PPE, they state on their website they had guaranteed an order of thousands tonnes of PPE and was being delivered in 2 weeks back at the end of March but I cannot see anything confirming this was delivered, issues out and of the quality needed.

The Germans have treated patients from 3-4 other EU countries in their hospitals. They have flown private planes to Italy to bring patients back. They were doing testing for the UK a month ago. They sent us 30 ventilators, free of charge. And you say they didn't offer help to anyone else? What have we done?

The procurement scheme has delivered and is delivering millions of tons of PPE and other equipment, while our Turkish imports have gone down the drain. Several NATO countries have also been helping to obtain supplies for Europe but we declined to join that scheme as well. Because our leaders are xenophobic, incompetent boneheads who put ideology before life saving resources.

33 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

No, it’s a system that has deteriorated for the last 40 years under every government that needed restructuring decades ago but every government is too scared to change a ‘national treasure ‘!. 

Absolutely nothing to do with chronic underfunding for the last decade of tory rule then? 

21 minutes ago, TheSage said:

The Germans have treated patients from 3-4 other EU countries in their hospitals. They have flown private planes to Italy to bring patients back. They were doing testing for the UK a month ago. They sent us 30 ventilators, free of charge. And you say they didn't offer help to anyone else? What have we done?

The procurement scheme has delivered and is delivering millions of tons of PPE and other equipment, while our Turkish imports have gone down the drain. Several NATO countries have also been helping to obtain supplies for Europe but we declined to join that scheme as well. Because our leaders are xenophobic, incompetent boneheads who put ideology before life saving resources.

They transferred 6 Italians in March to their hospitals but nothing since, do you think that was for their own research maybe?. Have you got evidence of the EU procurement successfully delivering tons of PPE and other equipment, I didn’t say they haven’t, I just raised the question. Also, stupidly we did provide tonnes of PPE to China in January.