Coronavirus

robf

Just watching for a moment the Coronavirus update on BBC. Raab is trotting out the normal spiel, i.e. We are grateful to the British public and the efforts of the NHS that aside it has been a truly shambolic effort by the Government, apparently Johnson is turning his attention to trade deals with the US. The casualties and deaths for the UK are the worst in Europe. Suggest they concentrate on sorting this Virus mess out.

Advert:

12 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Just watching for a moment the Coronavirus update on BBC. Raab is trotting out the normal spiel, i.e. We are grateful to the British public and the efforts of the NHS that aside it has been a truly shambolic effort by the Government, apparently Johnson is turning his attention to trade deals with the US. The casualties and deaths for the UK are the worst in Europe. Suggest they concentrate on sorting this Virus mess out.

It's called multitasking mate, there are 400 of them so 2 jobs at the same time should be possible

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

I had thought of switching  Bluetooth off if I am ever allowed out, but would I be  barred from entering supermarkets if not emitting a signal?

I threw my phone in the bin over 12 months ago.

10 minutes ago, geosname said:

It's called multitasking mate, there are 400 of them so 2 jobs at the same time should be possible

Don't think it's the time for joking, 693 died today, absolutely shocking figures. This is a catastrophe and deserves better attention and leadership.

It really does TT but I no longer listen to the PR stunt we see every day. It's largely pointless and simply an exercise in obfuscation.

I just saw this, taken from a vicar's parish newsletter:

"I'd like to congratulate Boris Johnson on the birth of his sixth child. Of course, that's only counting those born in hospital. The real figure could be much higher."

• Like 1

Advert:

8 minutes ago, TheSage said:

It really does TT but I no longer listen to the PR stunt we see every day. It's largely pointless and simply an exercise in obfuscation.

I just saw this, taken from a vicar's parish newsletter:

"I'd like to congratulate Boris Johnson on the birth of his sixth child. Of course, that's only counting those born in hospital. The real figure could be much higher."

Without mass testing we'll never know the true figure.

51 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Don't think it's the time for joking, 693 died today, absolutely shocking figures. This is a catastrophe and deserves better attention and leadership.

I'm not jesting.....if a government can't handle more than one issue we are in deep crap.....

366 deaths in hospital..... 65 of those died a week ago

3 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Without mass testing we'll never know the true figure.

London School of Economics released a report on 18 April. They estimated that about 43% of Italian and 57% of Spanish deaths have occured in care homes. There is a leaked Spanish government study estimating 57% of deaths in care home, which if true will increase Spains figures by 30000. 

I'm sure we will never know the true figures. I know Egypt has had a spike in deaths on a scale which bears no relation to their reported numbers. If anyone believes their numbers it would be a good summer holiday destination this year. I'll be giving it a wide berth. I'm sure we'll have more accurate estimates in a couple of years.

A few weeks back when we saw the pictures on the Television of Hospitals in Italy being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of covid-19 cases/deaths and then someone in New York managed to record on his phone a truck outside a hospital being loaded up with vast amounts of dead bodies like rubbish being taken to the skips. The world was facing the worst pandemic since the Spanish flu of 1918.

IF back then someone made us a deal that guaranteed...

In The UK that by the start of May we'd be passed the peak and our NHS wouldn't get overwhelmed at all, so much so that even the Nightingale hospitals would be sitting empty and we'd be starting to set out plans for re-opening the country. All whilst keeping 99.95% of the population Alive.

Even @tommytunstall would have agreed to that deal, if we're honest all of us would have accepted those terms as a great outcome considering what we were facing.

It's taken a tremendous effort from each and every one of us to get to this point and we can't become complacent. But as a collective, we've done well so far and now must keep it going, keep learning and improving. With the main objective being that one day we all get to cheer on the Vale again at Vale Park.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

VA very surprised by your comment we are doing well, we are not doing well, the current statistics do not lie, we are in a very bad situation, while we may be over the peak the daily figures leave nothing to be satisfied with. I personally take no pleasure from this at all, just incredibly sad at the losses. As I have said consistently part of the problem is we have dillied  and dallied throughout, a week to late in locking down, and to late with testing. The frustrating thing is on the 5 o'clock propaganda slot it's the same old responses every day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Since the big push for the 100,000 tests a day has passed the number of test completed has been:

May 1st: 122,347
May 2nd: 105,937
May 3rd: 76,496
May 4th: 85,156
May 5th: 84,806

Official government data:

4th May: People tested: 69,839

3rd May: People tested: 62,956

2nd May: People tested: 56,397

1st May: People tested: 63,667

30th April: People tested: 73,191

The target was 100,000 people per day.

53 minutes ago, ginge said:

Jeez I thought mine didn’t make good reading... are yours excluding home tests?

Hugh Pym tweeted today:

Deputy Chief Medical Officer for England acknowledges there was a change of policy on virus testing in March partly because there was not enough capacity.

Dr Jenny Harries told the Commons Health Select Committee that “if we had unlimited capacity we would have done differently”.

Advert:

VA, the main aim of the exercise is to save lives. It's not to ensure that the NHS has enough capacity. That's a means to an end.

Your idea of a 'great outcome' and 'doing well' is not the same as mine.  

32,000 and pushing upwards is truly appalling.

Countries like New Zealand, South Korea, Australia, Taiwan and Germany (to a degree) all did what we should have done. Tested, traced and isolated immediately, locked down very quickly, and controlled their borders. In other words, they tried to squash the curve dead and not just flatten it. 

Why didn't we do what they've done?

We had several weeks start on Italy and are supposedly one of the world's most advanced countries. 

It probably helps when you have intelligent, responsible leadership rather than a PM who was on holiday for half the time.

2 hours ago, ginge said:

The difference, I think, between "people tested" and "tests carried out" is the number of people having 2nd/3rd etc test.

2 hours ago, TheSage said:

VA, the main aim of the exercise is to save lives. It's not to ensure that the NHS has enough capacity. That's a means to an end.

I disagree with that statement mate.

It was obvious from a very early stage that the most vulnerable to the virus are the over 60s, a large number of over 60s reside in care homes yet testing was not carried out unless the "patient " was admitted to hospital.

I'm sure someone will coin the phrase "out of sight out of mind" at some point.

Also, if it was primarily about saving lives all incoming travelers would/should have been quarantined immediately. No matter who they are, where they come from or how they arrived.

I think the government have made some bad decisions, even if scientific advice was used to make those decisions.

One of the minor mistakes was encouraging, however indirectly, the continued publication of doctors/nurses/hospital staff/police etc dancing around like puppets with a stick up there ass..... how would you feel if you had just been informed one or more of your family members had died to then see hospital staff dancing around a hospital?

I would have also issued fines to all those gathered on a bridge to clap the NHS,  encouraged and joined by police..... who issue fines if they consider your "EXCUSE" for being outside not acceptable to them.

The big, if there are any (I think there are), mistakes will take quite a while to surface.

• Thanks 1