Coronavirus

robf

6 minutes ago, ginginator said:

No, if the players have been in contact with someone with the virus, that is when you react, self isolate and followed procedures. But all the Olympiacos players and staff have been tested and are negative. Hence they play Wolves tomorrow ( I know Wolves are not happy). So if all Arsenal staff are tested and negative, unfortunately life has to carry on. It is called being sensible and trying to be pro  active as individuals will help, not panic.

Amen to that last sentence 

4 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Doesnt the fact that it's new and not been seen before mean you'd expect a high death toll if it was serious?

Death is not the only concern, there is the need to keep the country running, hospitals, food, etc. What would you call a high death rate?  

15 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Death is not the only concern, there is the need to keep the country running, hospitals, food, etc. What would you call a high death 

Compare it to seasonal flu.  

Is it high compared to that?

Then ask, how worried are you about yourself and others contracting that or any other virus.

The strain on the economy and health service comes from the panic, not the disease.

I'm tired of saying this now, I do think we should take measures.  Keep yourself clean etc.

But that goes for any illness that can spread.

5 hours ago, eh up nah said:

I think my issue with all this is yes, it spreads and its obviously a public health  concern. But are we anymore concerned about it than many other strains of flu?

I'd understand it if it was a deadly disease like cholera or something but the numbers just do not stack up to that.

In the uk, you have to go to the 6th decimal place before you get the percentage of the population who've caught it 

Of that number, 2% have died.

Of that 2% all have had serious underlying problems, so any virus would have been a danger.

So why the mass hysteria about this one?

They're saying we'll have a vaccine in 6 months and we'll probably never see it again.

I agree we need to be mindful but, yet again, common sense (like basic hygiene) should sort this out.

The answer is it's so new nobody knows what the outcome will be. The virus is also mutating relatively quickly so the virus in Italy is slightly different to the one which first appeared in China. Italy have done extensive testing and I would guess their results are relatively accurate. As it stands 10147 cases and 631 deaths. Roughly a 6.3% death rate. Some cases will be undetected, there were probably some deaths caused by it before there was any testing and some of the 10147 will die over the next month. So its not an exact science. 

There is a knock on effect where they have to take seriously ill patients out of hospital because of the risk to them of contracting the illness. Also health care system only have a small amount of flexibility built in so a spike of 10000 additional sick people in a couple of weeks is beyond capacity. 

Will it hit Stoke and will the impact be as big as Italy? The truth is nobody knows. Which comes down to the reason people are worried because the worst case scenario is quite shocking and the actions taken in South Korea, whilst seemingly effective, have had massive impacts on everyday life.

1 hour ago, eh up nah said:

Doesnt the fact that it's new and not been seen before mean you'd expect a high death toll if it was serious?

The plague didn't start with a high death toll in the first 5 weeks.... no I'm not making a comparison..... it's not known how people can contract it for certain, the contagion rate is quite high for 5 weeks, it may mutate as viruses can, the panic is hindering not helping..... but don't underestimate it.... it is what it is now..... in another 5 weeks it may be different..... the rapid spread of panic on social media could do more harm than good.... people seem to be looking for answers without knowing what the question is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mario said:

Is cancelling the Man City v Arsenal game tonight an hysterical overreaction?

Not strictly speaking.

The official advice is to self isolate for 14 days after contact with someone with the virus. The Arsenal players had that contact 13 days ago, so even though they've tested negative they are still one day away from fulfilling the self quarantine period.

It's like someone's big toe being offside with VAR. The rules are there and they must be strictly followed, even if it seems silly.

9 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Yes

The Arsenal players had been in contact with a person who has tested positive for Coronavirus so the right thing surely until their players get the all clear to avoid spreading it.

Countries don't generally close things down like Italy which will destroy economies and businesses over "flu" so I think people are under estimating it, reports from Italian Doctors treating it are worth a read and may make you think twice... plus its ok say Me getting it but would I risk my 93 year old Grandmother or my Mother who has had respiratory issues in the past few years?

The death rate in Italy is fairly high, partly maybe due to an ageing population but the lack of vaccine or full understanding yet is a worry. There was nothing like this with SARS or Bird Flu in terms of measures so I trust the scientists and governments (who won't want to cripple their own economies) probably know better than we do the exact dangers.

I don't anticipate football being played with fans at the minimum within a couple of weeks in England and I would say the Euro 2020 and Olympics are at genuine risk of not proceeding.

Both Olympiakos  & Arsenal players/staff all tested negative, not sure how it makes sense to postpone, unless it's a general postponement for the sake of the crowds rather than the clubs themselves travelling with it. If it is for that reason, then surely you'd postpone all games as the risk is the same throughout the country.

14 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

The Arsenal players had been in contact with a person who has tested positive for Coronavirus so the right thing surely until their players get the all clear to avoid spreading it.

Countries don't generally close things down like Italy which will destroy economies and businesses over "flu" so I think people are under estimating it, reports from Italian Doctors treating it are worth a read and may make you think twice... plus its ok say Me getting it but would I risk my 93 year old Grandmother or my Mother who has had respiratory issues in the past few years?

The death rate in Italy is fairly high, partly maybe due to an ageing population but the lack of vaccine or full understanding yet is a worry. There was nothing like this with SARS or Bird Flu in terms of measures so I trust the scientists and governments (who won't want to cripple their own economies) probably know better than we do the exact dangers.

I don't anticipate football being played with fans at the minimum within a couple of weeks in England and I would say the Euro 2020 and Olympics are at genuine risk of not proceeding.

I think they may postpone the Euros and just push the season back a month, rather than play behind closed doors over here. 

33 minutes ago, geosname said:

The plague didn't start with a high death toll in the first 5 weeks.... no I'm not making a comparison..... it's not known how people can contract it for certain, the contagion rate is quite high for 5 weeks, it may mutate as viruses can, the panic is hindering not helping..... but don't underestimate it.... it is what it is now..... in another 5 weeks it may be different..... the rapid spread of panic on social media could do more harm than good.... people seem to be looking for answers without knowing what the question is.

Yes, I agree.

Social media does not help in situations like these.

It's bad enough sitting in an office listening to all the conflicting rubbish that gets bounded around.

47 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Both Olympiakos  & Arsenal players/staff all tested negative, not sure how it makes sense to postpone, unless it's a general postponement for the sake of the crowds rather than the clubs themselves travelling with it. If it is for that reason, then surely you'd postpone all games as the risk is the same throughout the country.

I believe the tests aren't always accurate until you start showing symptoms.  I had to get tested twice going from China to Qatar, once on arrival and again 10 days later. The nurse doing the second test told me it was for this reason. Whether they were being ultra cautious or whether its a big problem I've no idea.

2 hours ago, eh up nah said:

Compare it to seasonal flu.  

Is it high compared to that?

Then ask, how worried are you about yourself and others contracting that or any other virus.

The strain on the economy and health service comes from the panic, not the disease.

I'm tired of saying this now, I do think we should take measures.  Keep yourself clean etc.

But that goes for any illness that can spread.

I am injected against flu every year, I am not injected against coronavirus, thus a much higher death rate.. The strain on the health service comes from the additional patients due to the disease not from any panics.

• Like 1

The Chinese claim the number of new cases of the coronavirus in China is slowing down, new cases in Europe and the USA are currently  increasing 'cause it started later.

The stats show it's very easily spread and 80% of people who get the coronavirus will suffer very mild effects, 20% will show mild to severe flu symptoms and of these 2.5-4% of people will die. The death rate is around 6% in Italy  but it has a very aged population. It's usually people aged >65 and who have underlying conditions especially weakend immune systems who are most at risk.

Compare the ebola virus which doesn't spread so easily but kills 40-50% of people it infects, heaven help us if there is ever a contagious ebola like virus.

Although it's a new virus amazing progress has been made over the last 50 years in the understanding of the biochemistry of viruses, how they infect a host cell, insert their genetic material into the host cell DNA etc etc and there are drugs available to block each of these steps just not available in sufficient quantity to deal with the size of the outbreak. 

Because there is no vaccine  available the powers that be have employed the right strategy, stop it spreading.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

I am injected against flu every year, I am not injected against coronavirus, thus a much higher death rate.. The strain on the health service comes from the additional patients due to the disease not from any panics.

At last a common sense post. Can't believe posters are saying nothing to worry about, it's only mass hysteria from the media.  This has nowhere near peaked yet, and it is potentially fatal, for the elderly, people with respiratory problems, heart problems, Type 1 Diabetes etc it is extremely serious and should be treated as such.

3 hours ago, cheshirevaliant said:

I think they may postpone the Euros and just push the season back a month, rather than play behind closed doors over here. 

I wonder if the football authorities can sort some sort of schedule out to make the Qatar winter world cup more convenient for European teams? Otherwise I can see domestic leagues not being completed.

46 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

At last a common sense post. Can't believe posters are saying nothing to worry about, it's only mass hysteria from the media.  This has nowhere near peaked yet, and it is potentially fatal, for the elderly, people with respiratory problems, heart problems, Type 1 Diabetes etc it is extremely serious and should be treated as such.

It is obviously serious and now it has been classified as pandemic, but the general rules still apply. Panic buying, false information, lack of knowledge ( it has been tested that viral shedding wont happen after 5-8 days). Yes it  needs treating seriously but if you are worried isolate and look after those close to you.