Coronavirus

robf

According to official government figures, as of 9am this morning the number of confirmed cases in Stoke On Trent was, err, none. Even in Staffordshire as a whole the figure was only four.

Who knows how all this will turn out, but the current hysteria is driving me crackers.

At the end of the day, we’re all going to die from something. And it’s highly unlikely to be from coronavirus. 

47 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Seriously?  Whilst we are at it can we get an apology from Africa for AIDS?  Ffs...  

If you went to a restaurant and got food poisoning because of horrid hygiene practise, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't pat them on the back and say thank you very much...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TylerB said:

If you went to a restaurant and got food poisoning because of horrid hygiene practise, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't pat them on the back and say thank you very much...

Yeah but if you got food poisoning off Nando's you wouldn't expect an apology off Portugal. Or Brazil or wherever it comes from.

5 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

According to official government figures, as of 9am this morning the number of confirmed cases in Stoke On Trent was, err, none. Even in Staffordshire as a whole the figure was only four.

Who knows how all this will turn out, but the current hysteria is driving me crackers.

At the end of the day, we’re all going to die from something. And it’s highly unlikely to be from coronavirus. 

I've gone to work in two coronavirus free countries this year and left requiring quarantine 2 or 3 weeks later. I'm not a doctor but this illness seems to suddenly just sky rocket. I don't know the answers but it's startling how quickly this virus can grip a country or region and complacency probably isn't the answer. People need to think and plan what would happen in their own communities because this thing hits so quickly health services end up just reacting and don't have time to plan if it does arrive. I can't see the UK doing what China did in Wuhan, building two 1000 bed hospitals in a week. I hope it doesn't hit my home town because I don't want friends and family to experience the disruption to life I've seen in the Far and Middle East. Life needs to go on but that doesn't need it should be ignored.

I think my issue with all this is yes, it spreads and its obviously a public health  concern. But are we anymore concerned about it than many other strains of flu?

I'd understand it if it was a deadly disease like cholera or something but the numbers just do not stack up to that.

In the uk, you have to go to the 6th decimal place before you get the percentage of the population who've caught it 

Of that number, 2% have died.

Of that 2% all have had serious underlying problems, so any virus would have been a danger.

So why the mass hysteria about this one?

They're saying we'll have a vaccine in 6 months and we'll probably never see it again.

I agree we need to be mindful but, yet again, common sense (like basic hygiene) should sort this out.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, eh up nah said:

I think my issue with all this is yes, it spreads and its obviously a public health  concern. But are we anymore concerned about it than many other strains of flu?

I'd understand it if it was a deadly disease like cholera or something but the numbers just do not stack up to that.

In the uk, you have to go to the 6th decimal place before you get the percentage of the population who've caught it 

Of that number, 2% have died.

Of that 2% all have had serious underlying problems, so any virus would have been a danger.

So why the mass hysteria about this one?

They're saying we'll have a vaccine in 6 months and we'll probably never see it again.

I agree we need to be mindful but, yet again, common sense (like basic hygiene) should sort this 

Its not flu. 

It is a deadly disease. 

When your mum is vulnerable you would worry. 

Your comment or mine will look stupid in a few months time. Lets hope its mine. 

• Thanks 1

I don't think a country like Italy would shut down if this was anything like flu.

Also, China only got a grip on it when they started removing and quarantining people by force, even then, when that period ends then this is highly likely to flare up again.

I really fear this is going to be quite bad if you count for all the knock on effects to healthcare and the economy but then again there's not much the Government can do.

42 minutes ago, geosname said:

4,000 in a few weeks is quite high bearing in mind it's new.

We have the benefit of other countries experiences, probably Sept/Oct before it was identified as something new.  Whether we gain any advantage is another matter. At least progress on a antidote/vaccine is likely to be much faster with international co-operation not solely dependent on drug companies except for the delivery of whatever is found.

I agree. We should be taking this seriously and not brushing it off as if it's a minor inconvenience.

No-one knows how it will pan out. We have limited knowledge about it. But if China quarantines over 65 million people and Italy closes down then clearly, as RB says, there is something very worrying going on.

It hasn't yet got going here to any great extent but there are 3-4 in the North Staffs Hospital and we are told it's likely to get worse in the coming weeks.

It's far worse than flu. x30 worse. We have no vaccine. It is a deadly disease. It is killing people. Most people over 60 have underlying medical problems, be it asthma, breathing difficulties, high blood pressure, and a whole host of other worries, so think about them. It can be extremely dangerous for everyone elderly (most Vale fans) so don't let's underplay what is happening here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wrex said:

It is interesting how this virus has (so far) mainly affected first world countries. I wonder if there would be as much concern if it was primarily affecting third world countries.

No doubt the 3rd world will catch up as travellers pass on the disease, but will not have the facilities. Will the US be able to cope without universal health care?

5 minutes ago, Mario said:

Is cancelling the Man City v Arsenal game tonight an hysterical overreaction?

No, if the players have been in contact with someone with the virus, that is when you react, self isolate and followed procedures. But all the Olympiacos players and staff have been tested and are negative. Hence they play Wolves tomorrow ( I know Wolves are not happy). So if all Arsenal staff are tested and negative, unfortunately life has to carry on. It is called being sensible and trying to be pro  active as individuals will help, not panic.

2 hours ago, WV said:

Its not flu. 

It is a deadly disease. 

When your mum is vulnerable you would worry. 

Your comment or mine will look stupid in a few months time. Lets hope its mine. 

My mum is in the vulnerable category.

I'm really hoping she doesnt get it, but I'm hoping she doesnt get any virus at all to be honest. That's normal isnt it?

Of the people who have caught it, the percentage killed by it is drastically low.

• Thanks 1