Coronavirus

robf

3 hours ago, For Us All said:

Incorrect,they are not responsible for this crisis,the Chinese are.

Don't let the facts get in way of a chance to have a crack at (Any) government who follow the advice of science.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheSage said:

Just wondering how, with all the many warnings we had about this and with the ability to learn from what doctors in Italy were advising us to do weeks ago, why our sad total of fatalities is going through the roof and on course to be one of the worst in the world.

What are places like NZ, Australia, Denmark, Germany, etc. doing that we haven't done because their outcome appears to be a lot better than ours.

I expected the government to shut down early and not allow events like Cheltenham to go ahead. Nor 3000 Madrid fans into Liverpool city centre. Nor folk on planes from Italy, Wuhan, New York, etc to walk straight through customs unchecked and on to buses and tubes. We're still letting 15,000 people in every day - with no checks. Explain that.

You put Thailand's figures on here a day ago, Geo. You tell me what Thailand is doing that we didn't? I'm guessing they learned from other countries, took WHO advice, introduced smart distancing and check everyone arriving. 

I suppose some of us feel in a national crisis like this when thousands of our citizens are dying, many of whom are in care homes and fought for Britain in the War, it might well be a sensible and decent idea for the government to help to ensure that everyone who needs it has PPE. Just a thought.

Nothing at all from what I can see mate. They imposed a curfew a few days ago.

Phuket hospitals are saying they are full, the government blamed white/western farangs for the virus because they don't wash or wear masks.... they were also panicking because they said if the infection rate hits 3,000 they wouldn't cope.

As for social distancing..... unless you are restricted to your home it's impossible to be 2 meters apart in the cities like Bangkok.  Until recently (last week) there were very long queues at immigration offices where distancing hasn't been possible..... to get visas to extend stays in a country you can't leave...... the only big difference here is that a large number of locals wear masks all the time because of air pollution and have done for years...... maybe that's the difference that counts.

Whichever country you are in its a cluster **** because no one knows what to do at the moment.... it's all guess work and supposition.... even the WHO seems to have got it wrong in places.... it's all learn by the mistakes of others at the moment with a bit of trial and error thrown in.

Should UK airports have closed earlier?..... I think so..... total shutdown incoming unless you have a UK passport.... hike the number of flights out for other nationals..... quarantine and testing for incoming. ..... did anyone do it early enough?..... did we know it would work before we did it?

Just don’t understand the need for politics to become involved in this. It’s a world wide pandemic come what may. Let’s rally round together. Sadly impossible as too many keep trying to gain some form of political advance. It may look good to their own groups but it’s stupid in my view, save it until we can breathe fresh air again without fear of death

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Cavalier. The voice of reason.

I've deleted the post I had ready and waiting and reflected on what you have just said.

It doesn't stop me being angry with the way we have mishandled this but as you rightly point out it's a bit childish and pales into insignificance when we're in such a dreadful crisis.

Have a safe weekend. Wise words.

27 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I've deleted the post I had ready and waiting and reflected on what you have just said.

It doesn't stop me being angry with the way we have mishandled this but as you rightly point out it's a bit childish and pales into insignificance when we're in such a dreadful crisis.

Same to you and yours.

I totally agree with your sentiments.

Let’s face it, we as a collective, aren’t going to agree much on things we like, eg, Vale, we all think we do but secretly it doesn’t happen that often so something as radical as saving the world is never going to be sorted by us. 

24 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Just don’t understand the need for politics to become involved in this. It’s a world wide pandemic come what may. Let’s rally round together. Sadly impossible as too many keep trying to gain some form of political advance. It may look good to their own groups but it’s stupid in my view, save it until we can breathe fresh air again without fear of death

Well said, sensible comments it's a pity the BBC and Sky don't follow the same thoughts.

49 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

I appreciate what your are saying and the  nation is united behind the NHS, but the government of the day must be open to criticism. Whether certain criticism  is considered political or not is a matter of opinion. In times of great conflict in the past we have always been governed by a national government, and  also had a defined enemy to concentrate any venom on and errors were brushed over.

55 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Well said Cavalier and Sage,totally agree.Just got to convince some of the media now?

As the governer of New York said,"There is no red and blue,only red,white and blue.Forget the politics,we have a national crisis".

1 hour ago, CAVALIER said:

Stop talking sense you daft bugger, you'll get banned.

46 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

I appreciate what your are saying and the  nation is united behind the NHS, but the government of the day must be open to criticism. Whether certain criticism  is considered political or not is a matter of opinion. In times of great conflict in the past we have always been governed by a national government, and  also had a defined enemy to concentrate any venom on and errors were brushed over.

I agree the Government should be open to criticism but now is not the time, all these experts on here saying should do this or that but the truth is nobody knows 100% what is the right action to take, should we lockdown more, less or not even at all. Different countries are taking different measures to help prevent the spread of the disease and you can bet in every country there will be public criticising their Government for what they are doing. I think after Covid-19 has been kept under control we will have plenty of time to review what the Government did right and what it needs to do better in the future or any Government in charge for that matter. 

5 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

I agree the Government should be open to criticism but now is not the time, all these experts on here saying should do this or that but the truth is nobody knows 100% what is the right action to take, should we lockdown more, less or not even at all. Different countries are taking different measures to help prevent the spread of the disease and you can bet in every country there will be public criticising their Government for what they are doing. I think after Covid-19 has been kept under control we will have plenty of time to review what the Government did right and what it needs to do better in the future or any Government in charge for that matter. 

By criticism  I mean by the media or in parliament, which has to be at the time when things can be changed. The absolute make-up of the virus is not yet full understood , more and wider  testing, tracing etc is required, and only a vaccine will bring us closer to normality. Comparisons to other countries actions especially those earlier in the battle are bound to be made.

• Like 1

The usual suspects on here are basically saying don't criticise the Government, well sorry you can praise the Tories, but this is an open thread, as a parent with a daughter on the front line of the NHS, I feel desperately sorry for NHS workers putting there lives on the line. As the NHS representatives have today openly criticised the Governments efforts, and even suggested that Hancock should resign. While personally I cannot see the point in replacing the Health Secretary, I am very concerned with the mistakes the Government are making.

I get a little confused by the reporting.....

The BBC stated today a police officer died of the virus...... is that more news worthy than the other 15,000 deaths?.... are they supposedly immune because they wear a uniform or belong to the police union?..... I don't understand the value of the story.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

The usual suspects on here are basically saying don't criticise the Government, well sorry you can praise the Tories, but this is an open thread, as a parent with a daughter on the front line of the NHS, I feel desperately sorry for NHS workers putting there lives on the line. As the NHS representatives have today openly criticised the Governments efforts, and even suggested that Hancock should resign. While personally I cannot see the point in replacing the Health Secretary, I am very concerned with the mistakes the Government are making.

What exactly would you have done differently?

Purchased things you didn't know you would need?.....

Not follow the advice they were given?....

Have they made mistakes? Undoubtedly..... but I doubt any government, Tory or otherwise, hasn't made mistakes recently.

3 minutes ago, geosname said:

What exactly would you have done differently?

Purchased things you didn't know you would need?.....

Not follow the advice they were given?....

Have they made mistakes? Undoubtedly..... but I doubt any government, Tory or otherwise, hasn't made mistakes recently.

That is the point we have only had a Tory Government for over 10 years. Done differently, stocks in the NHS have been very low going into this virus, the Government knew this, and did not invest, that is one of the main reasons PPE etc are in short supply now.