• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Coronavirus

robf

Advert:

It has been a problem throughout the whole of the current tory reign. Labour never land a glove because they never throw a punch.

Case in point - I've just done a quick google to try and find Starmer's thoughts on the lack of restrictions being put in place during Omicron. Not surprisingly, I can't immediately find any comments in the media from him. There's nothing on his twitter account or the labour party one.

He's doing what he has done throughout the whole pandemic. Keeping quiet, waiting to see what happens. we'll only hear from him in a week or two if he gets a metric he can use to say Boris was wrong.

It's definitely not labours *fault* but they are certainly responsible to a point. A strong opposition is critical to keeping a Government honest and in shape. We've not had one for a decade now. 

I've said it many times over the last 5 years especially, but the only opposition to this Government is from their own back benches. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure how accurate that is but right from the start they were showing library footage of Italian hospitals from previous years. Then there was the Chinese collapsing in the street.

Goebbels would have been proud of the propoganda.

I don't think there's anything too malicious in the intent, but they overplayed their card in frightening people and now they're struggling to reign those people in.

Poor modelling set this all in motion, saying there would be half a million dead by Christmas 2020. There was NEVER any chance of that happening.

Advert:

6 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

I'm not sure how accurate that is but right from the start they were showing library footage of Italian hospitals from previous years. Then there was the Chinese collapsing in the street.

Goebbels would have been proud of the propoganda.

I don't think there's anything too malicious in the intent, but they overplayed their card in frightening people and now they're struggling to reign those people in.

Poor modelling set this all in motion, saying there would be half a million dead by Christmas 2020. There was NEVER any chance of that happening.

I’m not sure myself 

That’s very interesting though let’s hope it’s right 👍

BBC recently had a talking head on who argued that we should consider removing the quarantine requirement for people with covid.

CNN recently had a talking head on who said that cloth masks were never appropriate for covid, this is despite her previously extolling the virtues of masks. 

There's been a clear change in the media covid black out over the last week or two. 

55 minutes ago, FriedRice said:

She actually says cloth masks are useless against the Omni varient and 3 ply surgical masks are the way to go shes still saying wear masks

Why on earth would cloth masks work against one variant but not another?

She goes on to say cloth masks were never appropriate for this pandemic, I believe it's the same interview referenced in your post. Google it, the quotes are there.

30 minutes ago, FriedRice said:

No idea but if I had to guess it would be the strength of the variant,stronger the mask more likely to work maybe no clue but theres a lot of studies going on around cloth masks

I cant find anything from her about cloth masks being never ever being appropiate latest thing was a twitter saying 'My point isnt that we dont need masks,but rather we should require masks that are most appropiate to prevent disease transmission. Everyone including children should be wearing at least a 3 ply surgical mask' which im reading as cloth masks maybe worked for a bit but 3 ply is the way to go now but thanks for the initial story its interesting. happy new year

Fair play, think we're slightly misunderstanding each other, it's specifically the cloth masks I'm talking about rather than any made for purpose masks

Here is a video where she talks about cloth masks not being appropriate for the pandemic and specifically mentions all the previous variants too:

It might be a different interview looking at it so my bad if so.

Happy new year to you too!

I'm friends with someone who works with asbestos. Basically any health and safety courses will tell you that cloth masks or those single ply blue masks are useless against blocking particles far bigger than Coronavirus particles. The same applies to snoods, bandanas etc. There might be some small gains from wearing industrial masks but even then the science isn't fully supportive and they are more expensive and not as readily available. My friend wears respiratory masks when in real exposure.

As many have said all along, the masks are more of a psychological tool, a reminder that danger lurks around every corner and are also a relatively simple thing for governments to mandate to show they are doing something. There's a reason why those in power worldwide are inconsistent in their wearing of them

I still see people now wearing them to go into a restaurant then removing them before sitting and then sitting less than 6 feet away from another table. The compliance of these people without any thought just baffles me. Like I said, Goebbels would be proud.

Advert:

26 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

I'm friends with someone who works with asbestos. Basically any health and safety courses will tell you that cloth masks or those single ply blue masks are useless against blocking particles far bigger than Coronavirus particles. The same applies to snoods, bandanas etc. There might be some small gains from wearing industrial masks but even then the science isn't fully supportive and they are more expensive and not as readily available. My friend wears respiratory masks when in real exposure.

As many have said all along, the masks are more of a psychological tool, a reminder that danger lurks around every corner and are also a relatively simple thing for governments to mandate to show they are doing something. There's a reason why those in power worldwide are inconsistent in their wearing of them

I still see people now wearing them to go into a restaurant then removing them before sitting and then sitting less than 6 feet away from another table. The compliance of these people without any thought just baffles me. Like I said, Goebbels would be proud.

I dont often agree with you on this thread however I have to agree with most of this. However you dont know that people are doing it without any thought. Its the same as wearing them in shops which you typically dont spend a long time in nor next to another person for a long time. However in a shop it's the current law and maybe although some don't agree with it, they wear them to respect the law/ requirements to go in the shop, as it's not a big ask. 

I dont often agree with you on this thread however I have to agree with most of this. However you dont know that people are doing it without any thought. Its the same as wearing them in shops which you typically dont spend a long time in nor next to another person for a long time. However in a shop it's the current law and maybe although some don't agree with it, they wear them to respect the law/ requirements to go in the shop, as it's not a big ask. 
Yep, it's absolutely a law abiding thing in shops and I totally get that. People don't want to break the law.

It's the maddening inconsistency of it all that makes me really question their worth. If they were so effective then why wouldn't they make them compulsory everywhere, as soon as you leave your house? I mean you're bound to come across people all the time.

As you say, it's a minor imposition for most people but it's the wider context of what they are intended for that troubles me. I don't believe they are being used to protect public health.

5 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

Yep, it's absolutely a law abiding thing in shops and I totally get that. People don't want to break the law.

It's the maddening inconsistency of it all that makes me really question their worth. If they were so effective then why wouldn't they make them compulsory everywhere, as soon as you leave your house? I mean you're bound to come across people all the time.

As you say, it's a minor imposition for most people but it's the wider context of what they are intended for that troubles me. I don't believe they are being used to protect public health.

NHS  showing new adverts on ITV, emphasis on fresh air and opening windows to disperse virus, should have been done months ago.

I don't think the person on CNN spouting off about masks says what her source of information is hence I would take what she says with a pinch of salt. People on CNN are not known for divulging accurate information.

This evidence based review blow of face masks against Covid-19 comes to the conclusion that "The preponderance of evidence indicates that mask wearing reduces transmissibility per contact by reducing transmission of infected respiratory particles in both laboratory and clinical contexts. Public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high. Given the current shortages of medical masks, we recommend the adoption of public cloth mask wearing, as an effective form of source control, in conjunction with existing hygiene, distancing, and contact tracing strategies.

It also makes the point that Nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct particles of the necessary size.

https://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/129615/e2014564118.full.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

That's good enough for me, I will continue to wear a cloth mask as long as I consider it necessary.

• Like 1

Advert:

I don't think the person on CNN spouting off about masks says what her source of information is hence I would take what she says with a pinch of salt. People on CNN are not known for divulging accurate information.
This evidence based review blow of face masks against Covid-19 comes to the conclusion that "The preponderance of evidence indicates that mask wearing reduces transmissibility per contact by reducing transmission of infected respiratory particles in both laboratory and clinical contexts. Public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high. Given the current shortages of medical masks, we recommend the adoption of public cloth mask wearing, as an effective form of source control, in conjunction with existing hygiene, distancing, and contact tracing strategies.
It also makes the point that Nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct particles of the necessary size.
https://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/129615/e2014564118.full.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
That's good enough for me, I will continue to wear a cloth mask as long as I consider it necessary.
For every report like this (conducted under specific conditions and modelled in the main, not real world), there are a number of reports that counter this argument.

Perhaps the best argument against masks is that they bear no correlation to the outcomes of those countries that have either used them or not, as highlighted in the recent comparison between England and Wales. If they made a difference there would be clear correlation between mask wearing and more positive outcomes.

I have made over 20 masks.  Each one has had two layers of close woven cotton fabric with a layer of heavy duty interfacing between.  Much better than those useless blue things and far prettier!  They also fit better round the face.
I think if the government were serious about using masks as a form of help then instead of sending us all letters and free tests they should have sent every household a pack of heavy duty industrial masks. I might have taken it more seriously then.

NHS  showing new adverts on ITV, emphasis on fresh air and opening windows to disperse virus, should have been done months ago.
I think that's common sense at any time. We often open the windows first thing.

You can't expect people to host parties outside however at this time of year or keep windows open!