• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Coronavirus

robf

1 minute ago, Mario said:

By the time Corbyn had discussed the matter with the IRA and Hamas chatted with the Womens institute, discussed it with conference and had a word with TUC and spoken to Anita in Hull, I don't think anything would have been done any differently,they would have listened to the scientists and locked us down just the same.

Experts give advice, politicians are there to make the decisions, why would they have waited when we had advance notice of the situation in Europe?

Advert:

2 hours ago, WV said:

We have a far higher death toll per capita than most other countries. Ireland has an almost identical ICU bed per person rate as us but lockdown earlier. We are dying at over twice the rate here. Whys that? Lockdown date. Who decided we would wait? Boris

Sweden is a huge huge country with 1/7th the population  of here. Thought that would be obvious. Why don't you compare Sweden's numbers to other Scandinavian countries? Sweden have it worse than other comparable countries because of lockdown again.

It's not a few days late it was 2 weeks. Why do you think we are where we are and others arent? Is it just random in your mind? Like the evidence that is out there is all made up? 

What is your argument for Boris doing such a good job? I haven't seen one

You complained about Cheltenham yet horse racing was still being held in Ireland last week. It is too early to say wether we locked down to late or early or compare against other countries. 

Just now, Fosse69 said:

Experts give advice, politicians are there to make the decisions, why would they have waited when we had advance notice of the situation in Europe?

What makes you think Corbyn & Co would have acted any quicker ? You have no proof, we could have had this conversation reversed  with folk saying Corbyn should have acted quicker, should have done this and done that, it's easy to criticise from the sidelines, this situation we find ourselves in is a first ever and should not be politicised as my tongue in cheek post above proves.

37 minutes ago, Mario said:

What makes you think Corbyn & Co would have acted any quicker ? You have no proof, we could have had this conversation reversed  with folk saying Corbyn should have acted quicker, should have done this and done that, it's easy to criticise from the sidelines, this situation we find ourselves in is a first ever and should not be politicised as my tongue in cheek post above proves.

What was the argument for not acting quicker, checking and tracing all arrivals. It is not a first ever, there have been similar virus attacks around the world for which we have planned and hold pandemic stocks and action plans. Stock levels were lowered over the last few years apart from  the state of the NHS which have slowed the response, but a different government would have had the same deal. It is not politics, it is how a group of people deal with a situation. 

Advert:

23 minutes ago, Mario said:

We can`t know for certain how anybody but this government would have reacted but what we do know is that publicly at least, Boris was not taking this virus seriously as seen by his infamous shaking hands at the hospital against the medical advice. This was plain stupid and I doubt Jezza or anyone else for that matter ( apart from the idiot Trump)  would have done such an idiotic act.

If this was the standard of complacency at the top level you can well believe we acted too late as has been borne out that we have a problem as bad if not worse than Italy or Spain despite the advantage of seeing how badly they were affected before us.  

What is also certain is that the right wing press would have been merciless in their criticism of Corbyn and would have been up in arms that he was ruining the economy for the sake of a few pensioners as Cummings put it.;

1 hour ago, Mario said:

By the time Corbyn had discussed the matter with the IRA and Hamas chatted with the Womens institute, discussed it with conference and had a word with TUC and spoken to Anita in Hull, I don't think anything would have been done any differently,they would have listened to the scientists and locked us down just the same.

Corbyn would have done his ‘sitting on the fence ‘.act.Fortunately he has to stop  in so it rules that out.

What would Labour have done any differently......Ignored scientific advice ?

We will only know what was right and what was wrong after the event sadly, what I would say is Italy was the first to ban flights from China and locked down fairly quickly and hard as well... they arguably did everything by the book as to what people wanted here but it was still not enough to see them hammered like we are getting with it.

It’s the first time in 100 years something this bad has happened pandemic wise so it’s hard to really blame politicians who are relying on advise from scientists who themselves don’t really know enough about this particular virus.

Labour would no doubt have gone with science as did Boris and the same track would of followed.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, philpvfc said:

You complained about Cheltenham yet horse racing was still being held in Ireland last week. It is too early to say wether we locked down to late or early or compare against other countries. 

Racing behind closed doors in Dundalk is nothing like a Cheltenham.

Advert:

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

We will only know what was right and what was wrong after the event sadly, what I would say is Italy was the first to ban flights from China and locked down fairly quickly and hard as well... they arguably did everything by the book as to what people wanted here but it was still not enough to see them hammered like we are getting with it.

It’s the first time in 100 years something this bad has happened pandemic wise so it’s hard to really blame politicians who are relying on advise from scientists who themselves don’t really know enough about this particular virus.

Labour would no doubt have gone with science as did Boris and the same track would of followed.

But Labour are not in power. The lying Vote Leave Tories are. They are continuing their lying and obfuscation.

The buck stops with them.

5 hours ago, WV said:

We have a far higher death toll per capita than most other countries. Ireland has an almost identical ICU bed per person rate as us but lockdown earlier. We are dying at over twice the rate here. Whys that? Lockdown date. Who decided we would wait? Boris

Sweden is a huge huge country with 1/7th the population  of here. Thought that would be obvious. Why don't you compare Sweden's numbers to other Scandinavian countries? Sweden have it worse than other comparable countries because of lockdown again.

It's not a few days late it was 2 weeks. Why do you think we are where we are and others arent? Is it just random in your mind? Like the evidence that is out there is all made up? 

What is your argument for Boris doing such a good job? I haven't seen one

You have no evidence that an increased death rate is linked to lockdown date. It's a correlation at best. I know this because no one has evidence of that currently.

Sweden is more urbanised than the UK and Ireland so I believe you are wrong to simply dismiss them because they don't suit your argument: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/sp.urb.totl.in.zs

Especially when you mention death rates per capita too - switching metrics and comparing differerent countries stats is not reliable at this stage.

So I'll ask again, given that you now know that more people in Sweden live in towns and cities, why is their death rate not absolutely sky high given that they STILL have not locked down?

Also, why do you think Boris didn't lock down sooner? Do you think another PM would have different scientific advice?

There are people actively calling for lock down to end in the last few days. This Government are under pressures which no other Government has ever faced in our history.

I posted in this thread weeks ago about the potential for neglect and abuse to occur within lock downs. Priti Patel confirmed that these rates have shot up by as much as 120%. I know anecdotally that a local headteacher was petrified that their poorer students would starve without school dinners. Job losses and economic down turns are an incredibly accurate marker for suicides.

The victims of this do not stop at Covid 19. I wouldn't wish responsibility for protecting those victims on anyone, but I do trust that there was no other decision to be made in the December general election, like the majority of the country.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wrex said:

Bit late for that now isn't it? I mean if China start saying "we've found out that the virus actually came from a Swedish guy and his pet hamster who were visiting Wuhan in November, but we're not going to release any evidence so just trust us okay" then nobody outside of China would believe them. Maybe they're only interested in what people inside China think though.

Indeed. We have Chinese students in this neck of the woods who are agog we see the world other than through the official Chinese narrative. They remind us that they approve of Chinese economic hegemony and global control of the means of production.

When challenged to return to China asap they remain silent. Thankfully, their railing against their hosts remains a minority 'rage' compared to the many thousands of Chinese Australians - including our beautiful daughter-in-law - some of whom can trace their Australian family history as far back to the 18th century.

• Like 1

Advert:

9 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

You have no evidence that an increased death rate is linked to lockdown date. It's a correlation at best. I know this because no one has evidence of that currently.

Sweden is more urbanised than the UK and Ireland so I believe you are wrong to simply dismiss them because they don't suit your argument: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/sp.urb.totl.in.zs

Especially when you mention death rates per capita too - switching metrics and comparing differerent countries stats is not reliable at this stage.

So I'll ask again, given that you now know that more people in Sweden live in towns and cities, why is their death rate not absolutely sky high given that they STILL have not locked down?

Also, why do you think Boris didn't lock down sooner? Do you think another PM would have different scientific advice?

There are people actively calling for lock down to end in the last few days. This Government are under pressures which no other Government has ever faced in our history.

I posted in this thread weeks ago about the potential for neglect and abuse to occur within lock downs. Priti Patel confirmed that these rates have shot up by as much as 120%. I know anecdotally that a local headteacher was petrified that their poorer students would starve without school dinners. Job losses and economic down turns are an incredibly accurate marker for suicides.

The victims of this do not stop at Covid 19. I wouldn't wish responsibility for protecting those victims on anyone, but I do trust that there was no other decision to be made in the December general election, like the majority of the country.

The scientists put several scenarios to the government and they decided to do nothing was best, which looks like a mistake. As for worrying about poorer pupils starving, in a country with one of the biggest economies in the world isn`t that as damning an indictment into tory policies as you can get?.

The government is under pressure, some of it brought on themselves by not accepting the seriousness of this virus early enough, others as you have admitted by the polcies of looking after the rich and stuff the rest of you as seen by worrying that pupils may starve and others such as undoing the link between health spending and gdp  put in place by  Labour.  

The Swedes although not in official lockdown, are apparently social distancing and working from home where possible as they are used to such things due to the weather there. They are a country with a lot of respect for government authority and advice due to the high standards of public spending funded by high taxes, in other words the opposite of the tories. 

• Like 1

My particular agenda is that this Government are lying about PPE,Ventilators and the number of deaths.they have cocked up massively. And I <ovf censored> object to two close members of my family being exposed to serious risks which could kill them whilst this Government continue to lie and cover up supported by raving lunatics like you.

Even the Mail has seen through them

FE025441-264A-4BE2-8260-199248B569C5.png

44 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

The scientists put several scenarios to the government and they decided to do nothing was best, which looks like a mistake. As for worrying about poorer pupils starving, in a country with one of the biggest economies in the world isn`t that as damning an indictment into tory policies as you can get?.

The government is under pressure, some of it brought on themselves by not accepting the seriousness of this virus early enough, others as you have admitted by the polcies of looking after the rich and stuff the rest of you as seen by worrying that pupils may starve and others such as undoing the link between health spending and gdp  put in place by  Labour.  

The Swedes although not in official lockdown, are apparently social distancing and working from home where possible as they are used to such things due to the weather there. They are a country with a lot of respect for government authority and advice due to the high standards of public spending funded by high taxes, in other words the opposite of the tories. 

Children who are entitled to free school dinners are still getting them,either at schools or through a voucher scheme.The vouchers can be used at a supermarket of your choice.This government has provided billions for the NHS and written off NHS trusts debt ,during this pandemic ,without raising taxes.Stay at home and stay safe.Also ,how much is it costing by paying 80% of wages through the furloughing ? Corbyn said ,when asked,it should be 2/3rds.Every country will have different ways of dealing with Covid 19.I see the ever closer EU countries are all doing it the same way(not).