• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Coronavirus

robf

Advert:

A Quote from the lead article from the BBC website today, " Health officials have been clear we should expect cases to surge because of the Omicron variant.  The first UK case was identified last month - and by last weekend it was thought to account for nearly a quarter of cases.   And with Omicron infections doubling every two days it was only a matter of time before it began to drive up overall infection levels.

So questions, how do Health Officials know the Omicrom variant is surging, are they now sequencing every new case of the Coronavirus reported in the UK? I doubt it as there are most probably not enough sequencing machines in the UK to do this in such a short time, never mind the staff to carry out the computational analysis. Are they just sequencing a sample of people? if so I would take those Health Official statements with a pinch of salt.  Are they basing these statements on symptoms? if so those statements are worthless.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

According to LV nothing to worry about, it’s only a sniffle. Meanwhile on Planet Earth it is extremely serious and spreading like wildfire, hospital admissions are rising, it’s very worrying indeed.

Hospital admissions are rising you say?22A28ACA-3AC9-40B8-8F08-D6E2A095BAD0.thumb.png.57aeb57068764524759b2dd541374160.png

Advert:

10 hours ago, Fosse69 said:
11 hours ago, KEV.WILLIE said:
Is it only me that thinks it strange that after the vote in Parliament was passed,  the African Countries put on the "red" list, have now been taken off
So bring in "stronger" controls , but allow in people from where it originated 

Once a variant has reached a certain level of cases a few more relatively will not make much difference is the theory. There are other factors like the high cost of quarantine, etc take your pick.

Still doesn't make sense to me,  but then non of it has 

• Like 1

Nearly 80000 cases today but we shouldn't worry about cases. 
I'll tell you what has happened here. People have worked out that if they test positive yesterday then they will be out of isolation by Christmas Eve. I haven't checked but I bet there was a significant increase in tests yesterday particularly after the scaremongering that has gone on in the last few days. I genuinely give up on people who are testing themselves with no symptoms.
  • Confused 1

A Quote from the lead article from the BBC website today, " Health officials have been clear we should expect cases to surge because of the Omicron variant.  The first UK case was identified last month - and by last weekend it was thought to account for nearly a quarter of cases.   And with Omicron infections doubling every two days it was only a matter of time before it began to drive up overall infection levels.
So questions, how do Health Officials know the Omicrom variant is surging, are they now sequencing every new case of the Coronavirus reported in the UK? I doubt it as there are most probably not enough sequencing machines in the UK to do this in such a short time, never mind the staff to carry out the computational analysis. Are they just sequencing a sample of people? if so I would take those Health Official statements with a pinch of salt.  Are they basing these statements on symptoms? if so those statements are worthless.
It's modelling again. You know the modelling that has been useless since day 1 but nobody gets pulled up on it?

Advert:

1 hour ago, FriedRice said:

Voice or reason but cant centre a camera or bother to list his sources of research/information ( not hard to copy and paste )

He's very patriotic and I think he wanted to get the union jack in the  picture.His source of information was 1 News in New Zealand which was also shown in the video.

1 hour ago, KEV.WILLIE said:

????

Where did I say China was in Africa? 

The variant Omicron was purported to have developed in Africa!!

People in SA say they were the first to report it. With the number of cases in the UK looks more likely its from the UK itself. 

2 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

I'll tell you what has happened here. People have worked out that if they test positive yesterday then they will be out of isolation by Christmas Eve. I haven't checked but I bet there was a significant increase in tests yesterday particularly after the scaremongering that has gone on in the last few days. I genuinely give up on people who are testing themselves with no symptoms.

😂 my dads tested yesterday for that reason and he has a sore throat but gladly negative 

Advert:

3 hours ago, WV said:

Nearly 80000 cases today but we shouldn't worry about cases. 

You do need context though.

At the risk of sounding broken recordish, how many of those amounts to anything serious?

You can see in George's post that about 800 of those going to hospital

800 NATIONWIDE

Just saying 80,000 cases means diddly squat.

How many cases of flu were there today?

How many diagnosed with diabetes?

How many cancer diagnoses?

How many people had a heart attack?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FriedRice said:

I know its about context but the threads about about corona not diabetes may as well ask how many people fell off the toilet taking a crap. Not trying to start a fight just saying in the context of nationally yes very small but heart attacks are not contagious like corona

They're quite serious though aren't they?

Point is, you can say 80,000 cases, leave it at that and it sounds awful.

But once you really look at it, realise that anyone who gets it has a 96% or so chance of getting over it completely and it doesnt seem quite so terrifying does it?

You do need context and I think it's perfectly fair to compare it to other diseases.