Coronavirus

robf

17 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:
17 hours ago, Jacko51 said:
You're lucky.  Everyone on here knows a bloke who used to be a regular contributor who lost his life to covid early in the pandemic.  Another member of his family died as well. 

I'm not denying people have died. I'm just querying the fact that this person knows 'a few people who have died' whereas I and anyone I know does not know anybody. He must be extremely unlucky...

Do you always use anecdotal evidence as a starting point? 

I know of 4 people who have died from covid. Rather than everyone else being unlucky do you think you might just be lucky to have not known anyone? 

Edited by WV

49 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

According to the South African Doctor who first spotted and reported the Omicron variant, so far the symptoms have been different but mild and no one has been admitted to the hospital

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiBoKGwVnxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HisaMHjRkvk

Fact is no one knows yet. And won't for a few weeks. Governments  are getting knee jerked into taking measures because of press hysteria and fear of finger pointing "you did nothing". Right decision or not? Only time will tell. You ain't gonna stop it whatever. Slow it, buy some time? Maybe. 

Could well be a storm in a teacup. Hope so. But you never know.  

2 hours ago, toyahw said:

Fact is no one knows yet. And won't for a few weeks. Governments  are getting knee jerked into taking measures because of press hysteria and fear of finger pointing "you did nothing". Right decision or not? Only time will tell. You ain't gonna stop it whatever. Slow it, buy some time? Maybe. 

Yep that's why I included the phrase "So far" and as you say it's gonna be a little longer before the affect of this variant is really known although the initial signs are hopeful. 

When people are too stupid to understand something they get frustrated and vent. Not their fault I guess but social media gives them a platform to vent on and then other stupid people see someone who agrees with them and mistakenly take that for being correct and it snowballs from there. 

18 hours ago, toyahw said:

I think this is a pretty accurate take.  My concern is that we set a precedent to take measures 'just in case ' just to appease those who cry wolf every time.  At some point we have to draw a line in the sand and stop appeasing the bedwetters. It's been a common theme throughout that governments need to be seen to be doing 'something ', even if that something makes zero difference.  

Edited by leedsvaliant

On 28/11/2021 at 08:14, WV said:

Why are you counting people who haven't caught it in survival rate? 

What else have you got wrong? You seemed so certain of your numbers. Isnt that a red flag that you might be wrong? That you have just made numbers up to strengthen your argument. Why would you need to do that if you were right? 

Can you try and deal in facts from now on? 

Like you do you mean? 

99.7% is the survival rate. It's irrelevant whether people have caught it or not and according to your fabled masters many more people will have had it and never known.

You are basing your figures on those who have tested positive which will inevitably increase the percentage.

Edited by leedsvaliant
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

Like you do you mean? 

99.7% is the survival rate. It's irrelevant whether people have caught it or not and according to your fabled masters many more people will have had it and never known.

You are basing your figures on those who have tested positive which will inevitably increase the percentage.

Its irrelevant if people have caught it or not? Do survival rates of cancer include those who do not catch it? What about survival rate of people who get run over? Do we count people who haven't been run over?

You get dafter every day. 

Edited by WV

28 minutes ago, WV said:

Its irrelevant if people have caught it or not? Do survival rates of cancer include those who do not catch it? What about survival rate of people who get run over? Do we count people who haven't been run over?

You get dafter every day. 

Your comparisons are completely different and you know it. Not everybody will test for a virus that they may have.  Now, are you still going to try and debate all the points I have made over the last few months or are you going to use your usual tactic of quibbling over something obsessively to try and catch me out? 

Edited by leedsvaliant

WOne thing that is troubling me about the mask thing.  If they're effective:

1) Why has Scotland, Wales and much of Europe had a worse time than us over the last 5 months? 

2) Why, if they work, are we not instructed to wear them at all times when out of the house? 

3) Why do people such as the Prime Minister, the Royals etc. Not wear them consistently?  Surely they will know the ins and outs of this virus?  If they truly believed they made a difference, wouldn't they be wearing them at all times? Without fail? 

4) Why are they only mandated in shops and public transport?  What about football stadiums? Why not pubs and restaurants?  Does the virus not work in these places? 

5) why did Boris Johnson have a sit down meal yesterday with hundreds of people in close proximity, all without masks?

If you can't see it's all theatre I feel sorry for you. 

1 hour ago, leedsvaliant said:

WOne thing that is troubling me about the mask thing.  If they're effective:

1) Why has Scotland, Wales and much of Europe had a worse time than us over the last 5 months? 

2) Why, if they work, are we not instructed to wear them at all times when out of the house? 

3) Why do people such as the Prime Minister, the Royals etc. Not wear them consistently?  Surely they will know the ins and outs of this virus?  If they truly believed they made a difference, wouldn't they be wearing them at all times? Without fail? 

4) Why are they only mandated in shops and public transport?  What about football stadiums? Why not pubs and restaurants?  Does the virus not work in these places? 

5) why did Boris Johnson have a sit down meal yesterday with hundreds of people in close proximity, all without masks?

If you can't see it's all theatre I feel sorry for you. 

Boris Johnson has been a poor role model throughout the pandemic. It is far more serious than theatre, what will it take for you to conform. Get your mask on and stop whining.

3 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

Boris Johnson has been a poor role model throughout the pandemic. It is far more serious than theatre, what will it take for you to conform. Get your mask on and stop whining.

You still haven't answered my point.  You made the assertion that in Europe they have been wearing masks through the last few months so therefore they must work.  However Europe is in a far worse situation than us. Equally our near neighbours have also fared worse than us. So again, please explain to me how masks are making a difference?  I'd love to see you square this circle. 

It's clearly theatre to show that they are doing 'something'. Hence they're not making them mandatory everywhere. If you can't see that then more the fool you. 

Edited by leedsvaliant