Coronavirus

robf

It is not the flu, how many times! 
I think he's saying that the reemergence of flu alongside other things will panic idiots into demanding locking down the world again. You know, the flu that miraculously disappeared last year? This is what I mean when I say that you only see what you want to see and don't actually understand the argument.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

Nothing. It's the same as many of the other measures. Governments have got to be seen to be doing 'something ', that's why we've had 18 months of non sensical rules. Most people have just not even asked any questions as to whether these things make any difference.

The vaccine passport is easy to define.

If you have the passport you are allowed to enter, catch and spread the virus to anyone else who has a passport.

If you don't have the passport you can't enter, you can only catch and spread the virus off premises the same as passport holders do when they leave the premises or when we are closed.

Now that makes sense, doesn't it?

• Haha 1

The vaccine passport is easy to define.
If you have the passport you are allowed to enter, catch and spread the virus to anyone else who has a passport.
If you don't have the passport you can't enter, you can only catch and spread the virus off premises the same as passport holders do when they leave the premises or when we are closed.
Now that makes sense, doesn't it?
Brilliant

2 hours ago, WV said:

Of course lockdown made a huge difference as did masks and wouldn't be surprised to see one if not both back some time this winter. 

Have you ever worn a mask outside in the cold?

You can see your breath through it!

That was when I realised this was nonsense, and it's since been backed up numerous times that masks don't stop airborne particles passing through them. It's like mosquitos flying through a wire fence.

That was when I realised this was nonsense, and it's since been backed up numerous times that masks don't stop airborne particles passing through them. It's like mosquitos flying through a wire fence.
If governments told people that if they stood on one leg and put a patch over one eye I'm convinced many would do it and there would be a 'model' to back it up. There is no real world evidence that masks make any more than a negligible difference, even the government has admitted it was to give people reassurance. In fact, many places with the strongest mask mandate have done the worst! But no, we must follow 'the science '.
  • Like 1

Mosquitoes can fly through wire gauze? How does a miners lamp work?

14 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:
5 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Mosquitoes can fly through wire gauze? How does a miners lamp work?

Every window and door outward facing in my house has mosquito screens....... but the buggers still manage to get in. It's unlikely they get through the screen, unless it's damaged, they sneak in through the smallest of spaces between the screens and the windows/frames. I have one piece of mosquito gauze they never get through, although you can hear them crackle with electricity when they try.

21 hours ago, geosname said:

Every window and door outward facing in my house has mosquito screens....... but the buggers still manage to get in. It's unlikely they get through the screen, unless it's damaged, they sneak in through the smallest of spaces between the screens and the windows/frames. I have one piece of mosquito gauze they never get through, although you can hear them crackle with electricity when they try.

Would you say houses without mosquito screens get more mosquitos in or less? 

3 minutes ago, WV said:

Not the question I asked but no surprise at your response.

I initially referred to mosquitos getting through screens, I point out its unlikely they get through the screens....... but the buggers do manage to get in.

I was initially replying to fosse but it didn't pick up that post in the quotes for some reason..... which was about mosquitos getting through gauze, which was in response to the post the quote picked up

Put that in a mask context if you wish.... I didn't.

You can ask whatever you want, you seem to get a little irked if I don't give you the answer you want.

The factual answer to your question depends on a number of things.... one being if you have a water pool of some sort on your property and if that water has guppies in it,  another being the types of plants in and around your house, another being the type/amount of natural attractants.... and others.

And we won :clap:

1 hour ago, geosname said:

I initially referred to mosquitos getting through screens, I point out its unlikely they get through the screens....... but the buggers do manage to get in.

I was initially replying to fosse but it didn't pick up that post in the quotes for some reason..... which was about mosquitos getting through gauze, which was in response to the post the quote picked up

Put that in a mask context if you wish.... I didn't.

You can ask whatever you want, you seem to get a little irked if I don't give you the answer you want.

The factual answer to your question depends on a number of things.... one being if you have a water pool of some sort on your property and if that water has guppies in it,  another being the types of plants in and around your house, another being the type/amount of natural attractants.... and others.

And we won :clap:

Mosquito/bug screens on our windows and doors work well at keeping the little buggers out, we're so careful checking the screens for tears and making sure the doors/windows are closed and tight fitting. 

The data says masks do prevent the spread of the virus although not 100%, masks help both to prevent the transmission and catching the virus. The virus is contained within droplets of phlegm.

I've started to wear a mask when out biking as it noticeably prevents pollen particles being ingested and getting to the back of my throat, also wrap around sunspecs prevent less pollen from getting into my eyes when out biking.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

Mosquito/bug screens on our windows and doors work well at keeping the little buggers out, we're so careful checking the screens for tears and making sure the doors/windows are closed and tight fitting. 
The data says masks do prevent the spread of the virus although not 100%, masks help both to prevent the transmission and catching the virus. The virus is contained within droplets of phlegm.
I've started to wear a mask when out biking as it noticeably prevents pollen particles being ingested and getting to the back of my throat, also wrap around sunspecs prevent less pollen from getting into my eyes when out biking.
https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

The data does not say that masks prevent spread. The data says whatever the author of the latest report wants it to say. You can link certain things to make anything true, such as people who eat ice cream are more likely to die in a car crash. You can make the data fit any argument. The bit about phlegm is partially true but it certainly wouldn't contain all the microscopic viral particles, particularly not the homemade or cheap disposable masks. I think a recent study showed that they have about 10% effectiveness at most and that was being generous.

They were never ever recommended up until June last year, not by any major health organisation. In fact many suggested they would be harmful. Masks have everything to do with psychology and nothing to do with lowering transmission. I'm glad that hardly anyone is wearing them anymore.

44 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

I'm glad that hardly anyone is wearing them anymore.

Why would that be? What is the problem that bothers you? Why are you so happy not to wear a mask? Do they help? Not much. 10% or so. The psychological effect is way more important.  Like, there is <totally paranoid swear censor - <shed > going down better be careful. 

Just got back from four days in Germany. Mostly having to wear a mask. So what? What is your problem? You want freedom to cough everywhere with abandon?

When I went to Japan years ago,  everyone wore a mask on public transport, It's no big deal. Unless you make it one. 

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 2

Why would that be? What is the problem that bothers you? Why are you so happy not to wear a mask? Do they help? Not much. 10% or so. The psychological effect is way more important.  Like, there is going down better be careful. 
Just got back from four days in Germany. Mostly having to wear a mask. So what? What is your problem? You want freedom to cough everywhere with abandon?
When I went to Japan years ago,  everyone wore a mask on public transport, It's no big deal. Unless you make it one. 
I kind of agree that everyone should be free to do as they please, but in this instance the mask has been used as a symbol of unnecessary fear. Psychology should not be a reason to force people by law to wear something that doesn't help, it should always have been personal choice. The trouble is that the BBC or similar will have cited a report that masks are now good and that will do for people without evidence. By the way, most Asian countries wear masks because of the air pollution.

2 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

The data does not say that masks prevent spread. The data says whatever the author of the latest report wants it to say. You can link certain things to make anything true, such as people who eat ice cream are more likely to die in a car crash. You can make the data fit any argument. The bit about phlegm is partially true but it certainly wouldn't contain all the microscopic viral particles, particularly not the homemade or cheap disposable masks. I think a recent study showed that they have about 10% effectiveness at most and that was being generous.

They were never ever recommended up until June last year, not by any major health organisation. In fact many suggested they would be harmful. Masks have everything to do with psychology and nothing to do with lowering transmission. I'm glad that hardly anyone is wearing them anymore.

There is data which says masks help to slow the spread of virus in two ways, by preventing transmission and protecting the wearer with the former appearing to be the most effective. There is also data which says masks are ineffective so it depends of which side of the equation you lie, myself wearing a mask is no issue so I will take every precaution I can especially when inside.

Masks weren't recommended until June last year as there was little evidence for wearing a mask or not, little was known about the virus period.

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/do-face-masks-work-here-are-49-scientific-studies-that-explain-why-they-do/

There is data which says masks help to slow the spread of virus in two ways, by preventing transmission and protecting the wearer with the former appearing to be the most effective. There is also data which says masks are ineffective so it depends of which side of the equation you lie, myself wearing a mask is no issue so I will take every precaution I can especially when inside.
Masks weren't recommended until June last year as there was little evidence for wearing a mask or not, little was known about the virus period.
https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/do-face-masks-work-here-are-49-scientific-studies-that-explain-why-they-do/

Fair enough, if that's what you want to do. I find it fascinating that people feel so threatened by a virus that is unlikely to make them seriously ill and highly, highly unlikely to die. I have not once thought about it when inside, in busy areas or with other people. I just feel that the risk is so small that I've never worried about it for myself or other people.

5 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Horrible little creatures but similar to the virus in some ways.

Some people get bitten a lot some don't, some have a strong reaction some none. Sometimes the government takes a blanket kill approach by spraying big areas from the air and officials to check and spray gardens, other times they don't. There are other things that bite/sting but the first to get blamed is the mosquito. More people get bitten more at certain times of the year/season than others.

Make no mistake, in not defending the screaming hoards, they should be exterminated.