Coronavirus

robf

16 minutes ago, geosname said:

Covid is no different to alcohol if it hasn't contributed to the death, it's an incidental.

My comments are based around the need for accurate statistics to enable people to make an accurate assessment of the risk factors involved as it applies to themselves and to create an accurate picture for everyone.

Im not a covid denier, or an anti vaxxer. From what I understand the vaccine does not stop you catching covid or spreading it to others and it does not stop you catching it more than once. Which in itself suggests it does not control the spread or number of cases.

It significantly reduces your chance of hospitalisation and death, just like other vaccines..

Meanwhile in Australia....https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9946005/The-real-reason-Dan-Andrews-closed-playgrounds-kids-spreading-Covid.html

These people want locking up in padded cells. If anyone thinks this is right, moral, protecting people then they need a padded cell too. Utterly crazy. Check out some of the underlying threatening language from the health chief too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mario said:

The UK has recorded 207 new Covid 19 related deaths the highest number since March.....Not going away is it? Way things are going the vaccinated won't be protected

You are correct Mario, it is extremely worrying, we have schools going back more crowds at sporting fixtures. Sensible people are getting worried, but we still have people on this thread playing it all down 

3 hours ago, Mario said:

The UK has recorded 207 new Covid 19 related deaths the highest number since March.....Not going away is it? Way things are going the vaccinated won't be protected

That 207 has to be put into context though.  Tuesday's figures are always higher due to a reporting lag over the weekend.  This was a bank holiday weekend,  so Wednesday becomes the "big" day - but with a 3 day back log, not 2.

That's not to say it isn't worrying,  obviously. 

You are correct Mario, it is extremely worrying, we have schools going back more crowds at sporting fixtures. Sensible people are getting worried, but we still have people on this thread playing it all down 
How long is enough for you? We will always have cases forever, probably a lot of cases each winter, so at what point is it safe enough for you? After the 10th vaccine booster? 20th?

The simple fact is we either crack on or live in this perpetual halfway house, always with the threat of everywhere closing again fuelled by dodgy tests and questionable statistics.

When is it safe enough for you? I'm glad to see people getting back to normal, shedding the masks and cracking on but some people seem to revel in this eternal doom mongering.
  • Like 2

The 7 day average is the best guide and is heading up slowly at about 100 per day.
We could do with some honesty about who is dying in terms of age and vulnerability, vaccine status etc. so we can make our minds up about the danger,

Agreed, we have never truly had the full picture of data, just a daily death count that's been going on for 18 months and daily cases that mean nothing.

Cases will undoubtedly increase as nobody has been testing during the 6 week holiday. This continued testing is just fuelling the fire and hysteria.
  • Like 1

Cases will increase because kids are back in the schoolroom and others returning to work, added to an increase of people spending more time indoors as the weather gets cooler.
Well yes, that also. It has always been thus that respiratory viruses thrive in the winter months....but they will be increased by testing healthy people and picking up the virus through highly sensitive tests. Asymptomatic transmission is not a major driver of pandemics, it's spread mainly by people that are genuinely ill but yet we're still trying to pick up cases from people who aren't ill which fuels panic amongst the nodding dogs.

I thought we were meant to 'definitely' have 100k cases per day by now? Possibly 200k? See how easy it is to panic people with mystic meg style predictions and it will go on like this.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

Well yes, that also. It has always been thus that respiratory viruses thrive in the winter months....but they will be increased by testing healthy people and picking up the virus through highly sensitive tests. Asymptomatic transmission is not a major driver of pandemics, it's spread mainly by people that are genuinely ill but yet we're still trying to pick up cases from people who aren't ill which fuels panic amongst the nodding dogs.

I thought we were meant to 'definitely' have 100k cases per day by now? Possibly 200k? See how easy it is to panic people with mystic meg style predictions and it will go on like this.

I know about 25 people who have recently tested positive and every one was ill to some extent.

Several were seriously ill and needed some treatment, and some of those are in their 20s, others double vaxed, one is now dead but was vulnerable. I reckon it is quite rare now to not be ill with this delta variant.

• Like 2

I know about 25 people who have recently tested positive and every one was ill to some extent.
Several were seriously ill and needed some treatment, and some of those are in their 20s, others double vaxed, one is now dead but was vulnerable. I reckon it is quite rare now to not be ill with this delta variant.
I think if people are genuinely ill then we should do what we have always done and stayed at home. This chasing of cases in people who are not ill is inflating the scare factor in my opinion. A lot of these daily cases are people being tested in hospital who are completely unaware or who caught it in hospital. I think if we were made aware of all the facts I.e. who is genuinely ill with Covid, who is ill enough for hospital and is not in hospital for some other reason, what the demographic is, we would have a much better understanding of our own personal and family risk. The trouble with testing everybody is that they go into the figures whether ill or not and this spooks people who are naive to the risks. Again, I point to myself at nearly 40..my personal risk of dying from Covid-19 is around 0.006%, even people in their 60s have a chance way below 1%. Put it this way, I wouldn't put money on it in the bookies.

You must be seriously unlucky. I know thousands of people directly and indirectly through my business and I'd say I know less than half a dozen people who have tested positive throughout. Only 1 was seriously ill and the rest had basically cold like symptoms. It depends what you define as really ill too. I know some people who would say they are really ill with a bit of a sniffle and will go to the doctors on a regular basis and others who might be really ill and not bother.
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

You must be seriously unlucky. I know thousands of people directly and indirectly through my business and I'd say I know less than half a dozen people who have tested positive throughout. Only 1 was seriously ill and the rest had basically cold like symptoms. It depends what you define as really ill too. I know some people who would say they are really ill with a bit of a sniffle and will go to the doctors on a regular basis and others who might be really ill and not bother.

No surprise your anecdotal evidence backs up your outrageous claims again.  

Less than 6 out of the thousands you know. They all keep you up to date do they? I dont know thousands of people like you but I could name half a dozen off the top of my head just from people I play golf with. 

You must work in a super healthy and fit environment.  Good on yer 

Edited by WV

No surprise your anecdotal evidence backs up your outrageous claims again.  
Less than 6 out of the thousands you know. They all keep you up to date do they? I dont know thousands of people like you but I could name half a dozen off the top of my head just from people I play golf with. 
You must work in a super healthy and fit environment.  Good on yer 
Sorry I meant to say less than a dozen. People generally like to tell you if they have had it.

It's no surprise to me that this is the case. Only 6 million people have had a positive test out of nearly 70 million.

Just out of interest I read another great contextual piece of data this morning. Between March 2020 and June 2020, there were around 47k deaths attributed to Covid. Guess how many of those people had no known comorbidities? ....just over 4k.

The CDC also stated recently that just 5% of deaths in the United States were people with no known underlying comorbidities. Among the other 95% many had on average 4 comorbidities each. Just more context for the permanently terrified.

8 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

How long is enough for you? We will always have cases forever, probably a lot of cases each winter, so at what point is it safe enough for you? After the 10th vaccine booster? 20th?

The simple fact is we either crack on or live in this perpetual halfway house, always with the threat of everywhere closing again fuelled by dodgy tests and questionable statistics.

When is it safe enough for you? I'm glad to see people getting back to normal, shedding the masks and cracking on but some people seem to revel in this eternal doom mongering.

Some people may need 10 to 20 boosters to survive if they get it 

It’s safe now to most of us just have a bit of respect for them who ain’t safe from it 

Some people may need 10 to 20 boosters to survive if they get it 
It’s safe now to most of us just have a bit of respect for them who ain’t safe from it 
I agree. Those who are most vulnerable should be as protected as possible (which should have been the case all along) but everyone should be able to crack on now.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, leedsvaliant said:

Sorry I meant to say less than a dozen. People generally like to tell you if they have had it.

It's no surprise to me that this is the case. Only 6 million people have had a positive test out of nearly 70 million.

Just out of interest I read another great contextual piece of data this morning. Between March 2020 and June 2020, there were around 47k deaths attributed to Covid. Guess how many of those people had no known comorbidities? ....just over 4k.

The CDC also stated recently that just 5% of deaths in the United States were people with no known underlying comorbidities. Among the other 95% many had on average 4 comorbidities each. Just more context for the permanently terrified.

So 6 out of 70 have it (those that have tested anyway) and you know 6 out of thousands.  Some disparity there again unsurprisingly