Coronavirus

robf

Advert:

There is precedent for testing for something using a highly sensitive, inaccurate test that was actually not there.  This is similar to what is happening now.  We're testing over a million people a day.  If we'd have tested people in 2019 for some virus or other, we'd have uncovered similar 'cases' and labelled people as dying with that virus or illness. Here is the story from a few years ago (again refresh the page and stop before it fully refreshes) https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/22/health/22whoop.html

5 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

The prediction was presented to the govt, no doubt with the usual assumptions and caveats, the Govt then decide what to do. Science is not absolute, but the best knowledge at the time, forecasting is forecasting and can vary on whatever aspects of science is used. 

And many scientists said this would be wrong but the only publicised figures were those of doom. It's happened too many times and the general public has been duped too many times.  These people need to face the consequences of their ridiculous panic, misreading of statistics and pseudo science!

On 25/07/2021 at 16:09, Doha said:

No, Geo, you do not have the right in the UK to stand in front of a baying crowd of confused mouth breathers inciting death threats on NHS staff. The CPS would have something to say about that one. 

When is the first NHS doctor/nurse/researcher/scientist going to be murdered because of these nutcases?

Advert:

9 minutes ago, Doha said:

When is the first NHS doctor/nurse/researcher/scientist going to be murdered because of these nutcases?

I agree, that's completely abhorrent and it is not doctor or nurses fault.  They've been dealt a shoddy hand.  Any anger (not threats) should be directed at the government, SAGE and government scientists who have either been incompetent, lied or just got it completely wrong. 

11 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

And many scientists said this would be wrong but the only publicised figures were those of doom. It's happened too many times and the general public has been duped too many times.  These people need to face the consequences of their ridiculous panic, misreading of statistics and pseudo science!

Why blame the experts when there is a government that places more faith in their spin doctors.

1 minute ago, Fosse69 said:

Why blame the experts when there is a government that places more faith in their spin doctors.

The government are most to blame as they've placed their entire decision making process in the hands of failed modellers, money driven scientists and psychologists.  They've pretty much disregarded any other science and also used their spin guys to completely defame any alternative view, and it will come back to haunt them. 

Science should always be about debate but there's never been one.  I guarantee if 'our ' side had a live TV debate with Whitty, Vallance etc. that we'd win hands down.  In fact, the offer has been put out there but not accepted because they know that their whole decision basis has been built on sand.

23 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

The government are most to blame as they've placed their entire decision making process in the hands of failed modellers, money driven scientists and psychologists.  They've pretty much disregarded any other science and also used their spin guys to completely defame any alternative view, and it will come back to haunt them. 

Science should always be about debate but there's never been one.  I guarantee if 'our ' side had a live TV debate with Whitty, Vallance etc. that we'd win hands down.  In fact, the offer has been put out there but not accepted because they know that their whole decision basis has been built on sand.

No Vacc and no Mask doing very well in the Southern states of the US, 25% of the total US  population with 50% of the new cases

Advert:

1 hour ago, geosname said:

Maybe I have a strange view of the world.

I think it's my responsibility to take care of me.

It's the government's responsibility to furnish me the tools to do that. Whether it's vaccine, information or anything else.

Agreed

Doesn't mean that we have to blindly follow what we are told and be thankful for it imo 

The inconsistencies from day one  are far too many , not to question imo

• Like 1

Good to see it was about 70/30 in favour of no masks in Hanley earlier. The only places where it was slightly higher was in what I would call the middle class shops like M and S, which isn't a surprise as this seems to be the demographic with highest virtue signalling tendencies as they've cowered at home living a comfortable life whilst everyone else goes out to work for them. Give it a couple of months and it'll be more like 90/10.

Advert:

5 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Middle class shops like M&S........ What are you on about ?

It's a relatively expensive shop. I paid over £30 for 2 packs of kids pants and one pack of kids tights today! It is recognised as a middle class shop like waitrose. 

Interestingly I've just been reading an article about the fact that scientists still can't agree on how this virus spreads.  Interestingly, the closing line from a professor at oxford university was 

Prof Jefferson said even now we know very little about the ecology of this virus. 

“The only thing the virus seems to obey is Farr’s Law (which states epidemics rise and fall in a symmetrical bell curve),” he said. “I am not convinced the path of the pandemic has much to do with our interventions.”

So basically the interventions were likely pointless and we've caused significant current and future harm for nothing. 

• Like 1