Coronavirus

robf

The problem with the test is it's only a valid result at the time of taking it...... 10 minutes after you could be infected.

The problem with the vaccine is it doesn't prevent you catching or spreading the virus.

The problem with the virus is even if you catch it and recover you can get it again and spread it.

Unless you can stop people getting infected or kill the virus there aren't many ways to stop people catching it or stop the mutations.

Advert:

5 hours ago, geosname said:

The problem with the test is it's only a valid result at the time of taking it...... 10 minutes after you could be infected.

The problem with the vaccine is it doesn't prevent you catching or spreading the virus.

The problem with the virus is even if you catch it and recover you can get it again and spread it.

Unless you can stop people getting infected or kill the virus there aren't many ways to stop people catching it or stop the mutations.

Hence why people need to get vaccinated as eventually the virus has fewer/no place to go and hence less chance to mutate.

9 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

I take your point, but a 'slight' exagerration I think--no statistical models showed 1mil infections per day--the majority estimates suggested around the 100k mark with only one I saw suggesting that 200k might at worst be reached!

It was slightly tongue in cheek but yes, if you look at the modelling of cases that were supposed to be happening now vs the actual, the difference is vast! We've been stung again by pie in the sky modelling for about the 5th time!

• Like 1

Advert:

3 hours ago, ginge said:

What a distasteful tweet from the Health Secretary. I'm sure those who sadly lost their lives did not cower from the virus. 

Screenshot_20210725-073801_Twitter.jpg

I don't think he's intentionally calling people cowards. I think he's referring more to the unsustainable government policy prior to vaccine mitigation of putting society under house arrest and closing businesses down. That was cowering from the virus whether you like the term or not.

Also, those who've said "cases are down because testing is down", that's simply incorrect. Testing has dropped off 5.5%. This is hardly proportionate to the reduction in "cases". In reality, the experts underestimated the effect of 25,000 schools going into what is essentially a 7 week lockdown, an environment which hosts millions of children (with no additional vaccine protection to the natural immunity some will have aquired) for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. Around 3,000 nightclubs opening up for a few nights a week to a demographic with significant antibody protection (which grows every day) was never going to offset the benefit of schools closing. Have many peoples behaviour actually changed a great deal in the last week? Many are continuing to take more precautions than what the experts presumed, and maybe a far larger percentage of the population were already ignoring the rules, meaning the 19th July "easing" hasn't actually altered very much in most people's lives. 

3 minutes ago, AMF said:

I don't think he's intentionally calling people cowards. I think he's referring more to the unsustainable government policy prior to vaccine mitigation of putting society under house arrest and closing businesses down. That was cowering from the virus whether you like the term or not.

Also, those who've said "cases are down because testing is down", that's simply incorrect. Testing has dropped off 5.5%. This is hardly proportionate to the reduction in "cases". In reality, the experts underestimated the effect of 25,000 schools going into what is essentially a 7 week lockdown, an environment which hosts millions of children (with no additional vaccine protection to the natural immunity some will have aquired) for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. Around 3,000 nightclubs opening up for a few nights a week to a demographic with significant antibody protection (which grows every day) was never going to offset the benefit of schools closing. Have many peoples behaviour actually changed a great deal in the last week? Many are continuing to take more precautions than what the experts presumed, and maybe a far larger percentage of the population were already ignoring the rules, meaning the 19th July "easing" hasn't actually altered very much in most people's lives. 

Intentional or not, I see that many people who have lost loved ones will not appreciate the choice of words.

Some have changed behaviour some have not. Mine personally has remained the same. I still wear a mask in shops and on trains out of courtesy for others and staff and try and keep a distance. I doubt I'll wear one when walking to the toilet in the pub however. I do think that the term freedom day should never have been used. Same as eat out to help out. These terms can change some people's behaviour unnecessarily. 

17 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Hence why people need to get vaccinated as eventually the virus has fewer/no place to go and hence less chance to mutate.

I think the vaccines are the key at the moment but i doubt they will stop mutations.

Sadly not everyone is willing to get vaccinated and some can't. 

1 hour ago, AMF said:

Is it any wonder people have been cowering away from the virus?

The daily headlines have been more scaremongering than factual. If you control the population with fear it seems you expect them to cower.

• Like 2

Advert:

49 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Absolutely open mouthed by this. Appalling.

The speaker has the right to talk absolute crap if she chooses to.

She also has the right to refuse the vaccine, catch the virus, suffer a long debilitating illness or become a statistic. 

Although I see she is well insulated from the masses..... just in case?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, geosname said:

The speaker has the right to talk absolute crap if she chooses to.

No, Geo, you do not have the right in the UK to stand in front of a baying crowd of confused mouth breathers inciting death threats on NHS staff. The CPS would have something to say about that one. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ginge said:

What a distasteful tweet from the Health Secretary. I'm sure those who sadly lost their lives did not cower from the virus. 

Screenshot_20210725-073801_Twitter.jpg

He has rightfully done what is rare from a tory when they cock up (though they do regularly) . He has rightfully apologised.

1 hour ago, Doha said:

No, Geo, you do not have the right in the UK to stand in front of a baying crowd of confused mouth breathers inciting death threats on NHS staff. The CPS would have something to say about that one. 

You have the law a little backwards. The law doesn't say you can't do something it states that if you do there will be a consequence. 

She is free to say whatever she wishes..... untill she has actually said it, then the law can be applied. If she has committed an offence I expect the police will be knocking on her door and the CPS will prosecute.

I think what she said in the clip was offensive, but that's not a crime. Difficult to judge if a crime was committed without knowing all, not just partial, content.

Advert:

More madness at the top of the orme in llandudno today.  Got a tram to the top (with seats excluded and thus queuing for 1.5 hours). Went into the cafe to get some food and bought a few packets of sandwiches and hot drinks, only to be told that they were 'not allowed' to use the big stack of trays but apparently it's ok to try and carry 6 cups of boiling hot tea! Hasn't anybody told Wales that this is an airborne virus?  It's these sort of non sensical rules that people seem to follow happily that makes me think the world has gone insane.  Thankfully most people are just wearing masks where they absolutely have to and llandudno was packed.  In the service station on the way up here I'd say 70% were not wearing masks and that will just get bigger as more people realise they are useless. 

I can't wait for us to look back on this all and shake our heads in disbelief and say 'what were we thinking?'. As one local said to me earlier 'If Drakeford (Welsh assembly leader) could change the days of the week he would '. To me this sums it up, it seems the power has gone to his head as well as sturgeon and also just to be different to England.  What a joke.